News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call any OBi for FREE Right from Your WebRTC Capable Browser !! How ?

Started by YASH, November 15, 2014, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: YASH on November 18, 2014, 08:21:07 AM

2.   New feature which has just been added this month, about,......
Other of your world-wide friends, who does not have even the device and / or account and without even logging in, they can call you, to your device, via their Web browser for free.

The green CallOBi button has been there for months, maybe even as far back as 2013.

Edit:  Following the link in QBZappy's post below indicates the CallOBi (WebRTC) button has been there since June 2013.

QBZappy

Quote from: QBZappy on November 18, 2014, 06:49:39 AM
Quote from: MarkObihai on November 17, 2014, 11:31:36 PM
The OBi100 and OBi110 are based on a more basic platform than the other OBi models.  So (for now at least) WebRTC isn't supportable on these devices.

It used to be supported on the OBi1XX.
Are you sure?  I tried it at fairly regular intervals from when the feature was first available and it never worked to my 110.  Always some message - can't remember if it said "not 100 series" or "200 series only" - that made it quite clear that my 110 was not supported.

@drgeoff
You are correct. I reviewed my earlier post when the "Call Button" was first released. I realized that the OBi1XX has never been supported.

Call OBi button (WebRTC) http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=;topic=6114.0

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

YASH

The problem is,..

my relatives say,  by pressing that green phone icon button they see the following message, but NO  box to enter either the phone no. or the device ID number.

---------
This Call OBi button will allow you to call an OBi number directly from your web browser.*

Your call will ring the far-end phone(s) attached to the OBi device's PHONE port(s).

If you are logged-in to your OBiTALK account, and use the Call OBi button to call an OBi device set-up in the same OBiTALK account or a device whose Circle of Trust you belong to, the OBi Attendant will answer and you will be able to bridge your web call to a regular number using Option 2.

* For the Call OBi feature to work, the web browser must support WebRTC and the user must allow the use of their microphone / speaker for the call. Google's Chrome browser supports WebRTC. Only the OBi200, OBi202, OBi300 and OBi302 models may be called. The OBi device must have OBiTALK Service enabled.

giqcass

That is the message you see when you try to use webrtc from an unsupported browser.   I reccomend the latest version of Firefox or Chrome.
Long live our new ObiLords!

YASH

Nonetheless,.. sorry to say, but the service is NOT reliable.

With the same and latest and greatest updated browser,.. sometimes,.. it rings,....
sometimes  it does not ring the real phone ( You only listen to the fake rings on your computer,..... but the real ring at the other end,... just does not ring )

I tried almost more than 100s of times.

-----

Right now,.. while I am writing this,..10.50PM EST, USA time,..

I tried dialing my device's ID no,.. almost 50+ times and not  a single time it rings my phones !
Again,. it's the same computer, same browser, 
and also my device status, it's light, and dialtone of the phones,. etc is ON,..everything is fine and still it does not ring,..
My OBI202 has two phones,. and now it's not ringing,.. all of a sudden for some unknown reasons ! 

YASH

Sometimes it rings sometimes it does not,.. you need to make 5-10 attempts and hardly one time it rings the phone...

Same computer
Same ID number of the device
Same device, same browser and all the same parameters,..

Can someone explain me,... what is the science, that it rings one out of five times,... and otherwise not !

giqcass

Quote from: YASH on November 20, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
Sometimes it rings sometimes it does not,.. you need to make 5-10 attempts and hardly one time it rings the phone...

Same computer
Same ID number of the device
Same device, same browser and all the same parameters,..

Can someone explain me,... what is the science, that it rings one out of five times,... and otherwise not !

It works every time for me.  I don't think I have ever experienced a single failure with WebRTC.  It appears you have had issues with the Auto Attendant.  You could disable the Auto Attendant on incoming Obitalk calls.  Other then that I don't know what to try.

To disable the Auto Attendant:
Select your Obi 202
Click Obi expert configuration at the bottom of the page.
Click "OK" on the pop up.
Click "enter Obi expert".
On the left click "Voice Service"
In the sub menu click "Obitalk service"
In the "InboundCallRoute" you will see something like {(290000000)>(xx.):SP1},{(290000000):aa},{ph,ph2}
Now change the "InboundCallRoute"  to ph,ph2
Once finished click submit at the bottom of the page.  Allow the Obi to reboot and test your new configuration.  Now the Auto Attendant will not pick up when a call comes in Via the Obitalk network. The caller will not need to press 1 to connect.

YASH

^^

Thx for your jelp.

I tried doing that,..

My "InboundCallRoute"  is like this:
{(290400758|510817313|510426852)>(xx.):SP1},{(290400758|510817313|510426852):aa},{ph,ph2}

Also I could not change anything as it does not allow to change/delete any of the above data.

???

YASH

^^^ In fact,.. later I could change it. By removing a tic in a "next to" box.

I am also having a red color astonishment/exclamation symbol mark, next to that box which showed " Inboundcallroutine "

also next to that,
there was a ticmark on "obitalk settings."
When I took that ticmark off,  it automatically changed  the box to "ph.ph2"

And, after that, I  submitted it,.. rebooted my computer, delete cookies, fresh opened the dashboard again
and made sure that,.. now it shows up as ph,ph2,... etc. It does.

But still, it brings that voice message of giving options of press 1 / 2 / 3 on dialpad. So even after changing that, nothing has changed.

Also,. I have Mozzila Firefox and Google Chrome both.
This discontinuity of  phone ringing / not ringing,... happens in both.

I just tried couple of times,...
It still brings that dialpad pressing of options as usual,..

In google chrome,  while not logging in to obitalk,. and just by entering the "matching code" and then in the box the Device ID no. and allowing for the use of mic and speakers,...

The first two fake rings, I listen instantly ( your own rings-sounds - not the real ring sounds of the phone at the other hand )  BUT then the real phones (  I have two diff. lines and numbers for OBI202 ) never rings,...

unless you try couple of times,... then again loggin in,.
and once having that "press 1" voice message again, and then pressing 1,...

So, you need to struggle 4-5 times.

But, I doubt that if given simply the ID no of device to someone in other nation,
and if he tries,.. it will ring/not ring sometimes Yess and No in this case,. !

Unless,.. you also give him yr login data and tell him to struggle 4-5 times logging in and out, untill you hear the voice message,...
and then pressing 1 on dial pad,.. etc

Rosemot

It works everytime for me too. Call quality is good.  Free call nothing more i can say..  THANKS OBI.. :)

giqcass

Quote from: YASH on November 22, 2014, 08:34:01 AM
But still, it brings that voice message of giving options of press 1 / 2 / 3 on dialpad.

Try rebooting the Obi202 and see if the voice goes away.

EDIT:  The easy way to reboot.  From a phone connected to the Obi press *** then press 9 then press 1 to confirm.

YASH

Quote from: giqcass on November 22, 2014, 12:29:04 PM
Quote from: YASH on November 22, 2014, 08:34:01 AM
But still, it brings that voice message of giving options of press 1 / 2 / 3 on dialpad.

Try rebooting the Obi202 and see if the voice goes away.

EDIT:  The easy way to reboot.  From a phone connected to the Obi press *** then press 9 then press 1 to confirm.

Sir,..
First of all,.. thanks for your extreme cooperation and efforts,
with lots of tolerance,........ and without losing any patience, with me.  Thank you, again.

BTW,.....I did exactly, like you said,....  ( ***9,1 on both the phones ) and  Still that obi voice message was coming,..

I also turned the power plug OFF of the obi device, rebooted device,. and still the OBI voice message –  ( " of pressing 1/2/3 options " )  was coming, as it is !

Finally, I found the  remedy,... I went back to the "InboundCallRoute" area to check the status ph,ph2  which was also fine,..
but this time,.. I took off the tic mark  from that first column of the small square box there ( last time when I removed that tic from the second column, it had jumped to the first column to bring that ph,ph2 automatically.
[ As it was not letting me, repair those typings manually ]

So,  ( now no tic marks in any columns in front of "InboundCallRoute", has taken care of that annoying  OBI voice messages with its options.

BUT,
The phone not ringing disorder (struggling 4-5 times
and then and then once only it rings the phone
- annoyance is as it is  !
( No matter,... I use Google chrome or  Firefox  )

When it rings the phone,  via Google chrome, phone shows,..number as
29-040-0758

When it rings the phone,  via  Firefox, phone shows,..number as
00-000-0000

If I am logged ON, I don't need to enter the matching code, [ it never asks ]
If I am not logged ON, I need to enter the code.

But, regardtheless,...

a)   whether I use firefox or Google chrome,..

b)     whether  I am logged ON or OFF

c)   whether I dial  by

1) entering device ID number ( 500xxxyyy ) or,..

2) In speed dialing, selecting my device,.... and it brings  2*  in the display area of the phone number  or,...

3) entering 2*1302XXXYYYY  [ 302  is my area code,..XXXYYYY is one of my OBI202's phone number allotted ]

it still does not always ring,..
and many  a times,  I listen to the first initial two fake rings,.. and then green letters shows "Ringing..."  
and the phone never rings, even if I waited for another 10 minutes.

giqcass

Quote from: YASH on November 22, 2014, 03:43:27 PM
entering 2*1302XXXYYYY  [ 302  is my area code,..XXXYYYY is one of my OBI202's phone number allotted ]

You should NEVER be entering 2*1302XXXYYYY to call your own Obi.  If someone else is trying to call your Obi they should NEVER be using 2*1302XXXYYYY either.   Let me explain what happens when you do that.  2* will call your Obi via webRTC.  2*1302XXXYYYY will create an incoming call to your Obi but the call will be diverted and the Obi will attempt a second outgoing call to 1302XXXYYYY using the service that is set under the Auto Attendants PrimaryLine.  That can cause a whole host of issues and unpredictable behavior.  The call may go through some of the time(with a delay)  other times you could end up with timeouts, voice mail, or a busy tone.

The 2 correct ways to connect to your Obi via WebRTC are 2* from your own account or using the device ID number ( 500xxxyyy ) when not logged in to your account.  Any other method will cause unpredictable results with too many variable to ever hope to troubleshoot.

YASH

Thanks for letting me know that,...

also I noticed that,
Never give away your device ID
to any non-trustworthy persons, or on any unknown members in forums,... etc.

Coz, if someone starts annoying you,
you have no idea even  who is calling you, as  your phone display does not know,.. from where the web phone is coming and  you will be really annoyed and irritated by strangers. Right ?

giqcass

That is true.  I wouldn't post my Obi device number just like I wouldn't post a phone number.  To reduce the possibility of spam calls the WebRTC form makes users enter a captcha code before they make a call if they are not logged in.  It's possible to block calls from people without an account if it were to ever become an issue.  You could even set the Obi to only take calls from specific numbers or device ID's if you wanted to.

YASH

Well,. I think, I will give up now. Thanks all, for yrs dearest assistance

Somehow, it sure takes me to login, log off and open the Web browsers 1-2 times and struggle a bit, till I hear the ring from the actual phone.

Probably, because I am still using WIN XP (service pack 3) ?  I don't know.

But it works, after little attempts.    
I am to give this procedure and method to my relatives in India to let them call me at convenience
and My intent is, to make their life as easy as possible, or they will   give it up,.. saying " it's just too much complicated and annoyance-full, hence not worth it, for saving  some money ".

Nonetheless, thank you all guys, for the extreme  help and cooperation.

giqcass

If your relatives have smartphones they can also try the Obion app to call you.

YASH

They don't. Thx anyway.

I tried experimenting other 100 times.

The ring is not regular and systematic you need to struggle 3-5 times, minimum.

YASH

My relatives tried calling me from India,  ( via, obitalk.com to my device ID ) and phones/rings were establishing quickly, every time. However, the voice quality was not that good, ( super-sharp ) his voice was sounding muffled,...  ( he was using good qlty of headphones/mic, having very expensive latest DELL laptop ) He is using Mozzilla-Firefox.  

And hence I wonder, ... How come, the old magic jack ( not PLUS ) ( when he was using 3 yrs ago,. )  was also using the same PC's soundcard and still the voice quality was good ( really sharp ) and clear
and here it was not !  What could be the reason ?

( He holds a most latest and greatest DELL laptop computer - was bought for 1350+ usd, 2 yrs ago )

Right now, my set up with OBI202 is ,
That, it rings both of my phone numbers simultaneously, connected to the OBI202
and hence both the, two diff. numbers ring together.

Would it be a cause for a little poor sound quality  ( just wondered ) for the sound coming from there ? Any advice, pl? Thx

giqcass

It doesn't really matter whether 1 line rings or 2.  When you pick up the call is only being connected to 1 of those lines.  The other line gives up and waits for the next call.  The magic jack would have been using a different microphone and AFAIK Magic Jacks (even the old ones) have internal sound processing that does not utilize the sound card on the host computer.  The old ones did the heavy lifting via software and the Magic Jack dongle acted like a second separate sound card.

Even with a good microphone it must be adjusted correctly in the software.  Do you sound muffled to your relative?