News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink stopped working

Started by swardco, March 08, 2014, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aopisa

Quote from: Codesmith on April 09, 2014, 04:04:56 PM
Here is the explanation from their twitter and status page ...

"We experienced a database problem this morning that prevented logged out users from logging back in and making calls, the issue is resolved."

The problem is that they posted this AFTER the issue was fixed. There was no communication via email, their status page or their twitter feed acknowledging there was a problem while it was ongoing. This caused many users to try all kinds of self remedies thinking that there was something wrong on their end.

Already scoping out my next move. I am giving them one more shot, but I do not have high hopes for Vestalink being able to handle it when GV pulls the plug in a few weeks. They are very good at presenting a slick marketing effort to get people to sign up. I hope they are putting as much effort in not being caught by surprise again.

SkOrPn

Quote from: aopisa on April 10, 2014, 08:38:32 AM
Quote from: Codesmith on April 09, 2014, 04:04:56 PM
Here is the explanation from their twitter and status page ...

"We experienced a database problem this morning that prevented logged out users from logging back in and making calls, the issue is resolved."

The problem is that they posted this AFTER the issue was fixed. There was no communication via email, their status page or their twitter feed acknowledging there was a problem while it was ongoing. This caused many users to try all kinds of self remedies thinking that there was something wrong on their end.

Already scoping out my next move. I am giving them one more shot, but I do not have high hopes for Vestalink being able to handle it when GV pulls the plug in a few weeks. They are very good at presenting a slick marketing effort to get people to sign up. I hope they are putting as much effort in not being caught by surprise again.

Gosh, lets hope they are. I was pretty certain I wanted to use Vestalink as soon as my GV no longer works. Now not so sure...

S_in_Forum

Anyone else having trouble with Vestalink this morning?

I'm getting a "Register Failed: No Response From Server" from my OBI110

aopisa

Quote from: S_in_Forum on April 15, 2014, 08:53:34 AM
Anyone else having trouble with Vestalink this morning?

I'm getting a "Register Failed: No Response From Server" from my OBI110

Just checked and mine is working. Where are you located? How long have you had the problem?

cluckercreek

I'm in the East and having no problems with VL.

S_in_Forum

In the midwest.

Just rebooted everything (router, internet modem, and OBI110) - now working.  Go figure . . .

dircom

Anyone having trouble with Vestalink?  This morning my calls started going to the failover #, outgoing ok
rebooted obi, then reset Obi
now URI field is missing when I try and manually configure
waiting for Obi support to help
my other three SP's were working fine today

SteveInWA

Someone reported this yesterday over on the GV forum, too.  I can't imagine depending on this ITSP for service, given their history, and the plethora of better choices.

dircom

Except for two brief outages, my service has been working fine for over 6 months
Obviously a person hopes to get (at a minimum) what they paid for
We use 800-2000 minutes per month, feel free to suggest a better provider and the cost

What is hard for me to imagine is the people who were depending on GV for phone service
(especially the ones who ran a business)

also odd is that the URI field is missing in Obitalk.com
If I select Vestalink as a provider, URI field is missing
If I select generic, sometimes the URI filed shows up, then after I enter all the info, and go back in, it is gone

erkme73

Despite having paid for a full year, I (and the members of my family that also signed up on my recommendation) jumped back to GV immediately upon the notice that it was officially supported again.

Vestalink was so incredibly fickle.  I can't recall all the errors and excuses given each time I "chatted" with Andrew or whoever, but I had my fill of it.  And the call quality - especially the inbound calls that were forwarded from my GV number to Vestalink were embarrassingly bad.  Delays between callers was easily 1-2 seconds making conversations very frustrating.

Since moving back to GV, it's been 100% rock-solid, no delays, and call quality is at least 100% better.

Glad you have had better luck with it, but me, my father, my father-in-law, and brother, were all terribly disappointed with ObiVoice/Vestalink.

dircom

I might have had better luck, because I did not forward any numbers to Vestalink, I ported my # to them.
and I have a solid internet connection
The features set is great, the only thing that has changed is native faxing has gone away (temporarily) I am told.

Regarding GoogleVoice: the lack of reliable inbound caller ID was a deal breaker for my wife (using the CallCentric workaround for GV)

My problem seems to be with my Obi at the moment

cluckercreek

I have had great service with Vestalink. The only issue really has been the MWI not working after several hours. For me that's not a biggie but an aggravation.

dircom

edit (user error) was entering an n instead of m as part of my credentials

I guess I was blinded my the fact that URI field in my original configuration is not currently appearing in Obitalk

Obi support says to use Generic Provider, and the URI field is gone for some reason
but after I entered the correct password for SP1, it started working again
even though my original Obi configuration and Vestalink's BYOD setup instructions show the URI field

theshiv

I'm having an issue with Vestalink, and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same.

I ported my number over from GV back in March, so GV is no longer part of the equation. However, quite often when someone calls me my phone doesn't ring. I know they call because I get an email with the voicemail message. Also, the phone quality is not constant. There are times when I'm talking to someone that my voice becomes all garbled to them, or I drop off completely. This has happened to people on different phone services, so it must be coming from my end.

My ISP is Comcast with speeds around 100Mbps. I ensured that the SIP ALG feature on my Zyxel router was disabled, and after contacting Vestalink I followed their recommendation and re-setup my Obi device. The original problems are still persisting.

Anyone else experiencing the same or similar?

dircom

I also ported my # to VL.  Today my wife told me calls going to the failover #.  One of my GV #'s on SP3 was also offline, power cycled Obi, and all is well again.

CTAbs

bump ... I'm getting the dreaded "Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=54.200.193.145:8891; retry in 18s)" error. 

I've rebooted the ObiHai and made sure my device is running the latest firmware (which it was). 

Anybody else?