News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID

Started by dvijen, January 31, 2011, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvijen

My caller ID does not work connected to OBI for incoming calls on LINE interface but works on SP1, SP2, and PP interface.  The settings on LINE and PHONE interfaces are default for caller ID.  Any pointers to correct this?  BTW caller id does work on another phone connected on parallel line.
Thanks
Dvijen

OBi-Guru

Try look at the Call History, to see if there is a call coming in from the Line port, with the correct callerID, it should show up under Peer Number.

Also, under Phone & Line Status page, take a look at "lastCallerInfo" on the Line Port column and see if the expected callerID is there or not.

dvijen

well, I found the culprit.  I had changed Ring delay to 1000 ms to enable phone ringing at the same time as the parallel phone.  When I chenged this value to default (5500 ms), caller ID started coming through.

What I don't understand is why 5500 ms delay is required in Obi while my parallel phone picks up caller ID right away after first ring.

dvijen

obiliving

In order for OBi device to pass PSTN Caller-ID to the PHONE Port, it needs to completely decode the caller-ID signal prior to ringing the phone. The ring delay is to make sure OBi has enough time to do this. This is also needed in order for OBi to perform caller-ID based inbound call routing. For example, you might not even want to ring the phone for certain callers.

For US, Caller-ID is sent shortly after the end of the first ring. So potentially you can adjust this delay parameter to about 3000 ms (which is counted from the beginning of the first ring). If that works for you reliably, you can stick with it. The default value is conservatively set to 5500ms to make it work for most PSTN services out of the box.

dvijen

I understand it now.  I tried all the values from 100 to 5000 in the increament of 500.  None of them worked.  First one to work was 500 (default).
dvijen

Northern.Bob

I have a different caller ID problem. With the default ID settings I get only the name but not the number.

I've tried changing DTMFRxMode to software and back, changing CallerIDTrigger around. Nothing works to get the number. It is being sent as my Linksys 3102 unit decode it fine.

Under Call History Peer Name is there but not Peer Number.
Under Phone & Line Port Status, LastCallerInfo is just the name.

Because of this of course, I cannot direct incoming numbers to the AA. Nor can we call back these callers without the number. If it's of any use we are with Bell Canada in Quebec. This is the only unit I have that cannot, at this point, decode CID properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bob

LeftRight

Northern.Bob,

This is interesting. Since the name is correctly shown in "LastCallerInfo", the setting seems OK. you may choose other options in "CallerIDDetectMethod" under line port to see whether it makes any difference. The settings in Phone Port (DTMFRxMethod, CallerIDTrigger..) are not related to CallerID detection.

Does the number include any characters other that 0-9 digits? Have you tried other PSTN line?

QBZappy

Northern.Bob,

I am in Montreal, Quebec. I have had no issues the CID using my unit in the intended way. I would suggest to get the latest firmware if you don't already have it installed, and force all the settings to default configs on the Obi unit. If it is not obvious within the first 10 minutes better to reconfigure the unit from scratch. You will save time in the long run. We are a users not the Obi engineers. We users don't need to know every reason why things don't work. Of course it is good to know if you are willing to spend the time. The end game is to get the unit functional. Let us know if it works.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Northern.Bob

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've been contacted by the folks at OBi to work this out. I'll certainly post back any progress or resolution.

I hate snow (groan)

Bob M.

jimates

And for those using Google Voice, like me, remember that Google is doing the same thing with the cid before delivering the call (to the Obi). So basically the caller has likely already heard at least 1, possible 2, rings before the phone connected to the ATA rings the first time.

Northern.Bob

My problem stems from the fact that Bell Canada uses a slightly different way to do CID here. I'm running a special test firmware that works but am waiting for the official firmware release that includes the fix. The last release did not include it.

QBZappy

Obihai team,

You guys may not be familiar with some of the telephony standards in Canada. This might be a good reference for your software engineers.

Copied from here ( http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_7 )

7. I'm in Canada, why doesn't my Caller ID work?
Yes, there is a country where things are more complicated than the UK. Most people think that Canada uses Bellcore, just like the USA. It does - almost. For some reason, the former Stentor member companies use a non-standard implementation of MDMF. Bellcore uses DN (Directory Number), usually the 10 digit number that includes the area code found in the phone book. Stentor uses DDN (Dialable Directory Number), a variable length number that is the number that must be dialed to call the other person
back (ie local calls don't include area code, long distance includes the preceding "1"). Normal Bellcore MDMF identifies each part of a message with a Message Type Word parameter, and the DN is assigned Parameter Type 02. The Canadian Stentor switches assign DDN to 03.
This is incredibly confusing for anything that only looks for the DN in 02, and this includes Unimodem (see below). Some modem drivers (and Canadian phones and caller ID boxes) check for both DN and DDN and will display either - 3Com ones for instance (and is there a general patch, perhaps for Unimodem?). Otherwise, you just have to avoid TAPI and use software that specifically knows about this quirk - Identafone is one, but most Canadian authors seem to have found out about this the hard way ;-). The relevant document was called Stentor document ID-0001 "CALL MANAGEMENT SERVICE (CMS) CALLING NUMBER DELIVERY (CND) (Single and Multiple Message Format) Terminal-to-Network Interface". Following the upheavals in the Canadian telecom market it is now Bell Interface Document BID-0001 and will cost you CAN$50 to download. Incidentally, Stentor's standard also allows for a Parameter Type 06, which includes a flag that indicates that the call is long distance and CallerID is not available, but it may no longer be in use.

Reference sites with documentation for Canada:

http://www.bell.cdn-telco.com/bid/ (I think all Canadian standards are documented here)

http://www.bell.cdn-telco.com/bid/bid-0017.pdf    <- This one specifically refers to CID standards in Canada

Hope this helps.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

LeftRight

Very useful info! QBZappy ... This might explain what Northern.Bob experienced, no number but name is shown.

Northern.Bob

Thant might well explain the problem. I hope the Obi team will incorporate a fix for that in the next release. Even better if they don't have to pay $50 for it !

curt00

I have tried setting RingDelay to 5500 and to "Device Default" and I still do not get Caller ID (neither name nor number).

I placed calls from Google Voice and Bell Canada analog line to my recently installed Obihai202 line.  Not only am I not getting Caller ID, the ring does not seem to be delayed at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I have to wait for Obihai to make the fix as mentioned by QBZappy and Northern.Bob?

drgeoff

Quote from: curt00 on January 19, 2015, 07:07:27 AM
I have tried setting RingDelay to 5500 and to "Device Default" and I still do not get Caller ID (neither name nor number).

I placed calls from Google Voice and Bell Canada analog line to my recently installed Obihai202 line.  Not only am I not getting Caller ID, the ring does not seem to be delayed at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I have to wait for Obihai to make the fix as mentioned by QBZappy and Northern.Bob?
Unless you have an OBiLINE plugged into your OBi202, most or all of the discussion above is irrelevant.  The method by which CallerID is received via a SIP or GV service into an OBi is entirely different from that when the call comes in on a POTS line terminating on an Obi110 or an OBiLINE.

Please clarify what equipment you have and which Service Provider(s) you are using.

curt00

Quote from: drgeoff on January 19, 2015, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: curt00 on January 19, 2015, 07:07:27 AM

I placed calls from Google Voice and Bell Canada analog line to my recently installed Obihai202 line.  Not only am I not getting Caller ID, the ring does not seem to be delayed at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I have to wait for Obihai to make the fix as mentioned by QBZappy and Northern.Bob?
Unless you have an OBiLINE plugged into your OBi202, most or all of the discussion above is irrelevant.  The method by which CallerID is received via a SIP or GV service into an OBi is entirely different from that when the call comes in on a POTS line terminating on an Obi110 or an OBiLINE.

Please clarify what equipment you have and which Service Provider(s) you are using.

Sorry for the confusion.  I'm not sure what ObiLINE is.  Therefore, it's likely that I do not have it plugged into my OBi202.

On my OBi202's SP1, I have Google Voice set up.  On SP2, I have a SIP service set up, which is from Freephoneline.ca.  SP2 is allocated to "Phone 1" port.

From the OBi202's "Phone 1" port, I have connected a RJ cable to an old Nortel analog phone.  When I make calls from a Bell Canada POTS line (or from Google Voice via Gmail.com or from my cell phone) to my SIP number, the Nortel phone rings, but the Caller ID does not appear.

Please let me know if it still isn't clear and what I should clarify.

drgeoff

When viewing pages on this forum I always see advertisements for all OBi products in a vertical row on the left hand side.  The ObiLINE is pictured there if you ever need to see what one looks like.  :)

Log in to your OBi's local web page (not the Obitalk portal).  Username is admin and password is also admin if you have not changed it.  In the left hand list click on the '+' to the left of 'Status'. Then click on 'Call History'.

Look for calls with Direction shown as 'Inbound'.  Confirm that in both cases of 'Terminal ID' being SP1 and SP2 you have the expected CallerID numbers in the 'Peer Number' fields.

curt00

Okay, thanks.  I do not have the OBiLINE.

I see the Caller ID data in "Call History".  Here is an example:

Call 1        01/19/2015 11:18:18   
11:18:18   From 'CONCOURSE' SP2(4145551212)    To PH1
11:18:18                                                               Ringing
11:18:31                                                               Call Connected
11:19:06                                                               Call Ended

CONCOURSE is a POTS line that called SP2, which caused my Nortel phone (connected to PH1) to ring.  The Caller ID data is:

'CONCOURSE' (4145551212)

However, I do not see the 'Peer Number" fields, unless you're referring to the second column that has:

'CONCOURSE' SP2(4145551212)

drgeoff

This is a call originated from a GV account (on an OBi1032) to an IPKall 'POTS' number sent to pbxes.org and thence to SP2 on my OBi110.

But using the demo at http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi200/i it seems the OBi2xx has a slightly different format, just like you reported.

So why isn't your phone showing the CallerID?  Are you able to try another phone?  Borrow one?

Go to Physical Interfaces/Phone1 Port/Port Settings and check that CallerIDMethod is FSK(Bell202) and CallerIDTrigger is After First Ring.