Anveo Obihai: use special package or month-to-month Anveo plan? Reliability?

Started by AnveoUser, January 28, 2015, 10:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnveoUser

For the past year, I've been using Anveo and my Obihai 100.  Instead of using the special Obitalk-Anveo plans (Basic, Just Right, Small Office), which involve an annual payment, I signed up for a separate plan at the Anveo website, which is charged month to month and is prepaid. 

At the Obitalk portal, I then used the Service Provider Setup tools to reprovision my existing Obihai device using my existing Anveo account.

The quality of the system is often times good, but unstable.  It may work terrific for a few weeks or even months, but then I will call a client while working at home and they will complain that they can't hear me well.  Or I will join a conference call and I can't hear the participants well, and I need to cut out and switch to cellphone.  The problem is, I can't afford these little failures, since I'd like to use my IP phone for work and very high levels of reliability.

Do other people have these problems using Obihai combined with Anveo?  Is it perhaps because I did not sign up for the special Obihai-Anveo packages?  I heard that those packages involve automatic reprovisioning of your Obihai device -- maybe that's what I'm missing?  For those who have used the Obihai-Anveo special package, do you find it to be 99.99% reliable?  Thanks for your help.

ipse

Been using the same configuration as yours for a year now with ZERO problems. Have a buddy with the "Obihai plan" and also with zero issues (I should know, I am his "tech support" :) ).
Are you sure this has nothing to do with your ISP/connection?
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

AnveoUser

Quote from: ipse on January 28, 2015, 11:01:26 AM
Been using the same configuration as yours for a year now with ZERO problems. Have a buddy with the "Obihai plan" and also with zero issues (I should know, I am his "tech support" :) ).
Are you sure this has nothing to do with your ISP/connection?

Thanks for the reply. I guess it could always be my online connection, but that seems unlikely.  Immediately after I have problems with the call, I've done a speed check on my cable connection (Astound.net), and it's typically at >10MBps as usual.  Also, I haven't noticed any general problems with downloading or other Internet functions.

I also wondered if I was getting inferior service because I was on the "Free" plan at Anveo (you pay for minutes and other things on a usage basis, but there is no set fee.)  I recently upgraded to the "Starter" plan, but I doubt that would make a big difference.

Or is it the phones I use with Obitalk?  They are conventional cordless phones, a bit old, it's hard to believe they would break down in this manner, but who knows...

I'm really at a loss as to what's going on.  If I can't figure it out, however, I'll have to discontinue with Anveo and Obihai, maybe go with a landline, which would be unfortunate, since I like a lot of the features of both.

If anyone has any tips or advice, they would be welcome!

AnveoUser

I've been looking at the net, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe my problem is that my Obi100 is behind a router?  Is that a problem?  Do I have to open particular ports?  On the other hand, I see comments in various forums that such things do not matter.  Any insight on this would be appreciated. 

c3c3

Have you tried hanging up and calling again?  ANY service would have problems from time to time, even landline.  If it happens once every few weeks, I don't think there is anything you can trace.

ipse

Quote from: AnveoUser on January 28, 2015, 12:03:44 PM
I've been looking at the net, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe my problem is that my Obi100 is behind a router?  Is that a problem?  Do I have to open particular ports?  On the other hand, I see comments in various forums that such things do not matter.  Any insight on this would be appreciated. 
It should NOT matter, my Obi (and all those I have installed/helped with) are behind a router with no port forwarding required.
The only thing I have changed is QoS (if the router has that capability)....
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

ceg3

If you are looking at your router for tweaks be sure to disable SIP ALG.  Having that enabled has been known to create problems.