News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any updates for EHS support on OBi1032

Started by Xipper, February 18, 2015, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xipper

This device has been out for a while now and yet there is no discussion of EHS other than claiming it is a feature of the device...which seems pretty deceptive since there is no documentation for compatibility of the functionality.  I would love to know what model of phone the OBi1032 is similar/compatible with for EHS so that I can buy the appropriate cable...and I would really be upset to buy one of each cable to test to find out none of them work because the feature isn't even in the firmware.

Why is this not documented/discussed beyond the product feature list?  i've owned my phone for about 6 months...and this was a committed feature on the product when I bought it...

drgeoff

34 reads and not a single answer.   Perhaps like me they don't know what EHS is and cannot be bothered to find out.  :(

Xipper

EHS = Electronic Hook Switch

You may be familiar with electronic handset lifters, this is a way to allow answering calls from a remote headset for standard phones.  Phones that support EHS allow avoiding the use of electronic handset lifters and the "off hook" is triggered via the headset jack from the headset. Based on the product page I expect this is supported on the 3.5mm jack and not the RJ9, but there is no info as to implementation support.

Most "business" grade PBX phones offer EHS support, each headset vendor then offers cables to adapt to those devices.  There are a few different models out there today, ideally the Obi would align to one of those so that existing accessories exist...as inventing something "new" for someone as small as Obi will mean that us users will never get device compatibility.   

drgeoff

AFAIK the adaptor for the 1032 is not yet available but to get a definitive answer you should ask Obihai directly, not via this forum.

Xipper

Being that this is the Obihai support forum i would have expected someone from the company to possibly read/respond to the support post.

It is beyond idiotic and entirely deceptive that they continue to list features on the product descriptions that do not exist.  I have owned this phone for 4 months and bought it in part because it claims support for EHS...which it doesn't.  Perhaps I should contact my vendor and ask for a refund as Obihai has failed to deliver on the promised specs in 4-months and can't bother to tell a customer when they may actually deliver on the features that were used to sell the product.

I emailed them and got an ever so helpful response:

To:
Subject: RE: EHS support in 1032/1062
Date: February 23, 2015 at 4:51:39 PM PST

EHS is not supported at this time.

Best regards
Obihai Technology

Dancolwell

now that I've received my 1062 I REALLY hope they release EHS support soon.

JasonCG

I just got mine and I noticed there was a firmware update.  I don't have an EHS headset yet but I am wondering if anybody else has tested it.

It is BS that the website clearly states (EHS) but apparently in does not.  I like the phone so far sound quality is great but I would like to use a headset without needing a lifter etc...

Does anybody have a Bluetooth headset suggestions for the phone?  I have the ObiBT.

QuidNYC

Another OBi1032 owner here looking for EHS to be supported...

Xipper

I am using a Plantronics Savi W710 which supports BT or the typical phone handset connector, with EHS support.  In my experience you cannot answer the Obi via BT, you have to manually answer it via the headset button on the base.  Having the headset connected via hardwire with an EHS cable also does nothing, other than having the headset make a clicking sound when the base is not off-hook.

OBiSupport

Obihai will soon release the OBi IP phone EHS cable kit to distribution.  The OBi EHS cable kit will work with the OBi1062 and OBi1032 models only.

Update:  The feedback offer is closed to new requests.

We would like to offer a handful of users a free OBi EHS cable in return for providing feedback / testing of the same.

In addition to the OBi EHS cable kit, Plantronics testers will need an APS-11 cable.
In addition to the OBi EHS cable kit, Jabra testers will need a Jabra LINK 14201-10 cable.

If you have an OBi1062 or OBi1032 and one (or both) of the above listed cables and are interested in helping Obihai with the testing of this cable kit, please contact support@obihai.com with your name, address and OBi IP phone OBi No.  You must have a USA mailing address to participate.  We will accept requests to participate in this testing for a couple days only.

Update:  The feedback offer is closed to new requests.

Thank you,
Obihai Technology

JoshuaEwing

QuoteObihai will soon release the OBi IP phone EHS cable kit to distribution.  The OBi EHS cable kit will work with the OBi1062 and OBi1032 models only.

We would like to offer a handful of users a free OBi EHS cable in return for providing feedback / testing of the same.

In addition to the OBi EHS cable kit, Plantronics testers will need an APS-11 cable.
In addition to the OBi EHS cable kit, Jabra testers will need a Jabra LINK 14201-10 cable.

If you have an OBi1062 or OBi1032 and one (or both) of the above listed cables and are interested in helping Obihai with the testing of this cable kit, please contact support@obihai.com with your name, address and OBi IP phone OBi No.  You must have a USA mailing address to participate.  We will accept requests to participate in this testing for a couple days only.

Thank you,
Obihai Technology

Thank you so much for this!!! I sent my email in yesterday, hopefully i am selected! I use my 1032 daily with my headset.

SteveInWA

I've been testing the new OBi 1032/1062 EHS cable with a Jabra PRO 9470 DECT 6.0 wireless headset.  It requires the optional JabraLINK cable, which connects to the OBi cable via a RJ-45 female-to-female connector.  Setup is dead simple, and it works flawlessly.  It allows you to answer or hang up calls remotely, by pressing the button on the headset, using the default service provider for placing outbound calls, just as you would using the phone's speaker or handset.

So, good news for anyone who has this equipment (along with the caveat that the headset and cable cost more than the phone  :P )

Herm

Thanks SteveInWa and Obi!!!

This is great news. I am a big fan of both the Jabra 9470 and my OBI 1032 :)

I also have the 14201-10 cable, so it seems like the only thing I need is the Obi female to female adapter.

Any insight on where I may purchase one?

If not available, a pin mapping would be appreciated and I'll get to crimping one this weekend  ;D

Thanks!!
Herm

SteveInWA

Herm:

The EHS adapter/cable is being revised to work in combination with the optional "sidecar" attachment, so there is going to be an additional delay before it ships.  The pre-release version of the adapter that I have will no longer work with the current firmware.

It isn't just a simple couple of wires and jacks; you can't make your own.

Hopefully, the wait will be over soon.

Herm

SteveinWA,
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Agreed, I can't wait to get this working.

Would you mind describing your current set up/functionality a bit more?
Interested in if you are using a straight RJ9 jack handset cable and hitting the headphone button to enable the Jabra...
whether you did the manual set up or if you got the automated one to work?
Pardon all the questions, I just want to make sure I get maximum functionality while we wait.
Please feel free to write me directly if you prefer.
Very much appreciate your contribution to us all here.

Herm

SteveInWA

Sure, no problem.

When the EHS adapter worked, it was easy to set up, using the guided menu setup on the Jabra's touch-screen.  The Jabra setup asks if you have an EHS adapter, and if so, which kind (answer = Generic DSHG).  The Jabra device then performs the automated setup, including calling a test number and calibrating its settings.  After setup, depending on how you have chosen to configure the headset, picking it up off of the charging cradle will take the OBi phone off-hook, ready to call on the default SP you have chosen on your OBi phone.  If you want to call out on a different SP line, just press the appropriate line key.

Inbound calls can be answered remotely, by tapping the button on the headset.  There is no need to press a button on the telephone.

Without the EHS adapter, the Jabra's guided setup also works, with the difference being that you say "no" to the EHS question, and then you need to press the headset key on the phone to go off-hook.  Everything else specific to the headset works either way.  You can't, of course, answer a call remotely (in another room), because you need to press the headset key to answer the call and send it to the headset instead of either the speaker or handset.

The OBi phone's settings related to the headset are in a very non-intuitive place.  I expected to see them in the "IP Phone" section of OBiTALK Expert, but instead, they're in the User Settings  --> User Preferences section.

See my screenshot below.  Note that I now have EHS disabled, since my pre-release cable no longer works with the latest phone firmware.

BTW, Jabra recently updated the headset's firmware, so visit their support site to keep up to date.

It's amazing to reflect on how far technology has come, with automated, touch-screen/microprocessor-controlled, encrypted, wireless headsets available to the public, not just in a Star Trek movie.  I'm typing this next to my 1947 Western Electric Model 302 rotary phone; imagine what Alexander Graham Bell would think about today's technology.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 14, 2015, 04:08:51 PM
... next to my 1947 Western Electric Model 302 ...
The Model 302 (and the Model 500's) will outlive us all.  And likely your grandkids grandkids.

Herm

Xipper

Any updates on ETA for availability of any EHS components?  And are you saying that EHS will require the sidecar in order to operate as well?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Xipper on December 01, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Any updates on ETA for availability of any EHS components?  And are you saying that EHS will require the sidecar in order to operate as well?

The new EHS cable does not require the sidecar; it just needed to be re-worked to inter-operate properly with the sidecar.  It has three connectors.  One plugs into the "Aux" jack on the OBi 10x2 phone's base or sidecar, one plugs into the headphone jack on the phone, and the other plugs into a female-to-female adapter.  The other side of the female-to-female adapter plugs into your headset-specific EHS cable (e.g. Plantronics or Jabra or Siemens).  Finally, the headset's EHS cable plugs into the headset's base.

It should ship "real soon now".  Sorry, but I don't have a date.  I imagine there will be an announcement by Obihai here, and then it'll probably show up on Amazon.

And, no, you cannot make your own cable assembly; just wait a bit longer for the Obihai product to ship.