News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fax Detection

Started by YaddaYaddaObi, May 18, 2015, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YaddaYaddaObi

Is it possible to have fax detection implemented? It'd be nice if I could keep my fax/printer on all of the time and have my Obi202 determine to route my voice call to Phone 1 and fax calls to Phone 2.

SteveInWA

No, but you can easily and inexpensively get a dedicated inbound number (DID) for fax reception, and configure it to ring Phone 2.  Or, get a DID that forwards to a fax mailbox, which can email you the faxes as PDF or image files.  Check out Callcentric, for example.

YaddaYaddaObi

Any reason why it can't be done with the ObiHai? In the late 90's I had software that would do voice/fax detection.

SteveInWA

Quote from: YaddaYaddaObi on May 19, 2015, 12:00:35 PM
...In the late 90's...

That's why.  That was a 1990s solution to use 1980s fax technology.  This is 25 years later, and now we have VoIP, email, Adobe Acrobat, and scanners.  The fax detection you describe is now typically handled at the Internet Telephone Service Provider's (ITSP's) inbound SIP equipment.  The OBi has no such capability.

Just get another DID; it's a much more convenient and reliable solution.

YaddaYaddaObi

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 19, 2015, 12:07:19 PM
The OBi has no such capability.

Which is why I'm posting the feature request here.

That was a 1990s solution to use 1980s fax technology.  This is 25 years later, and now we have VoIP, email, Adobe Acrobat, and scanners.  The fax detection you describe is now typically handled at the Internet Telephone Service Provider's (ITSP's) inbound SIP equipment.

I love this part of your response, it's as if you're trying to make me out to be a tech troglodyte because I want to simply leave my multifunction printer on and have the Obi detect and direct voice/fax calls.

That may be true, but this doesn't tell me why Obi couldn't add this feature from 25 years ago into their product.

SteveInWA

Quote from: YaddaYaddaObi on May 19, 2015, 12:40:52 PM

That may be true, but this doesn't tell me why Obi couldn't add this feature from 25 years ago into their product.

Because they're running a business, and firmware development, testing, maintenance and support cost money.   Nobody is going to spend money on an obsolete feature, that isn't going to drive significant sales.

You could request that your favorite car manufacturer add a crank-start to their cars, but there's no market for that, either.

YaddaYaddaObi

Right, because I'm the only person on the planet that has to use a fax to interact with businesses and government agencies because they haven't or can't use email.

I guess I could always get another GV number and use it for the fax number. But, I'd really like to hear what someone at ObiHai thinks about my request.

SteveInWA

Obihai's response will probably be this.

Nobody is taking away your ability to use your fax machine.  You can easily do this:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9956.new;topicseen#new

YaddaYaddaObi

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 19, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Obihai's response will probably be this.
Har Har

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 19, 2015, 01:23:06 PM
Nobody is taking away your ability to use your fax machine.  You can easily do this:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9956.new;topicseen#new

That's why I said I could just get another GV number and do it. Of course I feel bad even considering that since I don't like the idea of taking advantage of Google when they provide a fantastic and free service.

But, I'm also trying to find a free and local incoming DID so that I can set it up for incoming faxes and then use the original GV account for outgoing faxes.

Lavarock7

CallCentric.Com will give you a free New York City number that can be used for FAX and converts the fax to PDF and emails it.

If you say you are out of the country, you will not be forced to pay a 911 fee for the number, thus making the inbound fax service totally free. Just call it once a month to keep it active.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Rick

The snarkiness of replies has reached new levels on this post.  Congratulations to all performers!  ;)

Ostracus

No doubt, but they kind of have a point. No sense in making unnecessary work for oneself. Life is short enough as it is. Besides the nice thing about the new ways is that one doesn't have to tie up a line.

YaddaYaddaObi

I have no problem with the new ways, in fact I prefer them. But, there are organizations and businesses like doctors that will not email information, they either make you pick it up in person or fax it to you.

SteveInWA

Right.  We're not saying "don't use fax".  We're saying:  use one of the several modern methods of sending and receiving faxes:  get a free inbound DID from Callcentric and forward it to their fax mailbox system, or configure a dedicated DID on your OBi and plug your fax machine into it.

YaddaYaddaObi

And I understand that too. But, instead of using more resources of a third party. I was only suggesting a feature for Obi to barge-in and determine which phone line to direct the call.

restamp

One reason for having fax detect is to...  detect and handle faxes.  I get about one fax call per year on my voice line.  When it was my landline, I had a voice modem which doubled as an answering machine.  The modem would detect the fax tone, though, and quietly accept the fax.  Otherwise, the phone would ring every five minutes ad infinitum.

There really ought to be a way to tell the calling fax machine not to call this number again.  Perhaps a touchtone would work, although it is probably way too late in the game to mandate such a requirement at this point.

cambell

I am trying to set up my obi202 for faxing

Do you need a dedicated fax number for phone 2 as all incoming calls are considered fax transmissions and you will no longer be able to accept a call on the phone? Is anyone having success with only one DID for home phone and fax?

Does voice calls work over T.38 service right?.

Has anyone tried setting it up with this guide and had success?
http://support.t38fax.com/support/solutions/articles/19000037440-obihai-obi202

I have heard some people have had issues with slow fax, fax failure, issues with large faxes (> 5 pages), fixed jitter buffer echo issues... Is anyone else having the same issue?