News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callers Can't Hear Me - GV and Obi 110

Started by zerk, June 22, 2015, 07:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerk

I have used GV successfully for several months. In last 2 weeks callers complained my voice was garbled. Sometimes I answer the call and the caller can't hear me at all. I have tried prioritizing the Obi using the Qos settings in my router with no improvement. I replaced all cables to the Obi with no improvement. Power cycled the Obi with no improvement. I tried logging in to my Obi using the IP address and my browser says "ERR_Connection_Reset". Ii tried lowering the Tx and Rx gain settings with no improvement. I can login to my Obitalk account and all looks normal.

What do I need to do to get this fixed? Has my Obi110 gone bad?

N7AS

You might try to disable SIP ALG on your router. This may fix your problem.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

zerk

N7AS - thanks for your quick response and suggestion.

I disabled SIG ALG, upgraded my ASUS RT-N66U to the latest firmware and enabled telnet with no improvement.

Any other ideas?

N7AS

Quote from: zerk on June 22, 2015, 02:57:23 PM
N7AS - thanks for your quick response and suggestion.

I disabled SIG ALG, upgraded my ASUS RT-N66U to the latest firmware and enabled telnet with no improvement.

Any other ideas?

It may be a GV issue. This could happen at times.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

restamp

Something similar happens to me at times with GV -- not often, but enough to be annoying:  I originate a call, it rings fine, but when the called party answers and the call is established I am hit with a burst of white noise.  Well, it's not completely white; I can sometimes identify the answering person by the cadence of their voice.  And, sometimes, it's the other way around:  The called party claims they hear "noise".  If I hangup and retry, the call goes through fine.

I'm wondering whether this is perhaps a codec mismatch, and if so, whether there is a way to lock the GV SPs to G711 (or if this line of thinking is obviously barking up the wrong tree).

How would one go about locking down the list of possible codecs anyway?  Select Codec Profile B and then go into it and do it there, or is there an easier way?

SteveInWA

Quote from: zerk on June 22, 2015, 07:14:42 AM
I have used GV successfully for several months. In last 2 weeks callers complained my voice was garbled. Sometimes I answer the call and the caller can't hear me at all. I have tried prioritizing the Obi using the Qos settings in my router with no improvement. I replaced all cables to the Obi with no improvement. Power cycled the Obi with no improvement. I tried logging in to my Obi using the IP address and my browser says "ERR_Connection_Reset". Ii tried lowering the Tx and Rx gain settings with no improvement. I can login to my Obitalk account and all looks normal.

What do I need to do to get this fixed? Has my Obi110 gone bad?

This is likely a problem with your home network or your ISP connection.  If you can't log into the OBi via its IP address, then something's wrong with your home/office network configuration.

This has nothing to do with SIP ALG, since GV uses XMPP, not SIP.

It also has nothing to do with a "CODEC mismatch", since Google Chat/XMPP only uses G.711 from the OBi to the GV infrastructure, and it's always negotiated automatically, regardless of what other CODECs you may have enabled.  If you didn't have G.711 enabled, it wouldn't work at all, and any other enabled CODECs are ignored.

You'll have to sort out your local network issue.  You can also perform a definitive test of your ISP's ability to reliably support VoIP, by performing the G.711 VoIP test on this website:  http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

This test will eliminate your OBi and GV from the loop, as it simulates a true VoIP "conversation" between a Java applet on your computer, and an endpoint you select, and it reports the results as a MOS, or Mean Opinion Score.  MOS is based on a calculation that takes into account not just peak data speed, but also jitter and dropouts.  A MOS of less than 4.0 is unacceptable for VoIP, and indicates an ISP or local network problem.  Run the test immediately after a failed GV call, and run it several times to different endpoints to get an average score.  The regular speed test websites are worthless for determining whether or not your network connection can reliably support VoIP.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 22, 2015, 07:19:54 PM.. or you haven't enabled access to the OBi via the WAN port:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN
The OP is using an OBi110. It doesn't have a WAN port. Its web server is always accessible on its LAN port.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 23, 2015, 01:09:04 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 22, 2015, 07:19:54 PM.. or you haven't enabled access to the OBi via the WAN port:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN
The OP is using an OBi110. It doesn't have a WAN port. Its web server is always accessible on its LAN port.

Well, duh...I read the body of the post and ignored the subject line.  Thanks; I removed that sentence, but the rest of my answer still applies.