News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Has anyone here successfully configured Nomorobo with Anveo?

Started by zorlac, January 16, 2016, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorlac

I'm getting ready to port my parent's phone # from Ring.to to Anveo and would like to continue using Nomorobo.
On RT it's easily done with call forwarding but configuring it to work with Anveo looks confusing.  ???
Does somebody have a picture of the call flow chart to get Nomorobo working with Anveo?
Thanks

zorlac

zorlac

FWIW, each time nomorobo answers a spam call anveo will debit your account about 1.5 cents.  >:(
I guess quietness unfortunately costs a couple cents per day.  ;D

azrobert

Quote from: zorlac on January 30, 2016, 07:38:41 AM
FWIW, each time nomorobo answers a spam call anveo will debit your account about 1.5 cents.  >:(
I guess quietness unfortunately costs a couple cents per day.  ;D

F#@$ Anveo!

If NoMoRobo assigned you a tollfree number, you can use this procedure:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10368.msg68413#msg68413

Edit:
You don't have to setup a dummy trunk, just route the call out the SP trunk where Anveo or another SIP provider is defined.

zorlac

What I get from the replies to your other post is that the obi will ring the phone once or twice until nomorobo picks up. Is this correct?

I would like to keep my parents phone from ringing at all when nomorobo is answering a spam call.

If I switch my parents from the Anveo "pay as you go" plan to the $40/yr plan the "outbound" calls when nomorobo picks up will be covered.
Anveo even debits the account a penny to answer & block a six second call on the "block list" I've created!  :P
It's a shame it takes a "real time" "real money" account to find out how their billing actually works!  >:(

SteveInWA

It has to ring once, because nomorobo relies on receiving the inbound caller ID, and comparing it to its list of known spammers.  Caller ID is sent with the call.

In theory, you could monkey with some expert-mode parameters to try to add a delay before ringing, but for the sake of reliability for your parents' phone service, it's better to just tell them to not answer calls on the first ring.

Taoman

Quote from: zorlac on January 31, 2016, 06:32:08 PM

I would like to keep my parents phone from ringing at all when nomorobo is answering a spam call.

That isn't possible with Nomorobo and simulring. Nomorobo keys on CID and CID isn't passed until after 1st ring. In all cases, when Nomorobo blocks a call the phone will ring (at least) once.

If you really need to block telemarketers without the phone ringing at all you may wish to look at Callcentric and their new Spam Call filter which uses probability ratings. This allows you to make a call treatment which immediately routes Medium/High probability spam calls to an IVR or Lenny or wherever you want the calls to go.

http://www.callcentric.com/faq/39

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on January 31, 2016, 07:44:06 PM

That isn't possible with Nomorobo and simulring. Nomorobo keys on CID and CID isn't passed until after 1st ring. In all cases, when Nomorobo blocks a call the phone will ring (at least) once.

I actually enjoy hearing it ring once and then quit.  It's like the satisfaction of shooting attackers in a video game.  Pew pew pew!

If you really need to block telemarketers without the phone ringing at all you may wish to look at Callcentric and their new Spam Call filter which uses probability ratings. This allows you to make a call treatment which immediately routes Medium/High probability spam calls to an IVR or Lenny or wherever you want the calls to go.

http://www.callcentric.com/faq/39

Did you figure out how to make that work?  I gave it a brief try, by enabling it on one of my existing call treatments, but it seemed to block all inbound calls.  If you have a working call treatment, would you mind posting a screenshot, and also describing where it sits in the rule processing order of your other call treatments?  I wish they had more detailed documentation on how to implement it.

Off-topic, but I took a look at "TrueCNAM", the service they are using.  I was disappointed to see that they aren't actually doing CNAM LIBD dips -- they're only using their own database, along with crowd-sourced voting.  I tested this by signing up for their service, and then running some queries on various known phone numbers.  It only found CNAM for some of them.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 31, 2016, 08:01:22 PM

I actually enjoy hearing it ring once and then quit.  It's like the satisfaction of shooting attackers in a video game.  Pew pew pew!

Agreed. I like hearing/knowing a telemarketer just got blocked.

Quote from: SteveInWA
Did you figure out how to make that work?  I gave it a brief try, by enabling it on one of my existing call treatments, but it seemed to block all inbound calls.  If you have a working call treatment, would you mind posting a screenshot, and also describing where it sits in the rule processing order of your other call treatments?  I wish they had more detailed documentation on how to implement it.
Easier said than done. I forward to CC from Google Voice and this won't work going that route because of early media. So I have to call my free CC DID directly to test. Well I don't ever get any spam calls to those 2 numbers. So........I had to find a known spam number, login to my CWU account and spoof my CID with that number, and then make a call thru CWU to my CC DID to test it. Sheesh!  Anyway, it worked as advertised. Not sure why you'd need a screen shot but here it is. I just checked off the Medium and High boxes and redirected to Lenny. It does not block normal calls with low probability.
I put this as my second call treatment. My first call treatment catches anonymous callers.

Quote from: SteveInWAOff-topic, but I took a look at "TrueCNAM", the service they are using.  I was disappointed to see that they aren't actually doing CNAM LIBD dips -- they're only using their own database, along with crowd-sourced voting.  I tested this by signing up for their service, and then running some queries on various known phone numbers.  It only found CNAM for some of them.
Right. At this point it's not a usuable CNAM lookup tool. I looked up all kinds of numbers and it didn't find a single one. But it might just work to stop spam. Although every single number TrueCNAM has put forth as an example (on BBR and Twitter) that I have checked had already been blocked by Nomorobo.

SteveInWA

Taoman, thanks a lot for testing it for me, including all those gyrations to simulate a spam call!  I wanted the screenshot, since it made it easy to see how you had all the options set.  I see what I did wrong now.  Regardless, your testing proved that, as long as we're using Nomorobo, the CC/TrueCNAM blocker isn't really worth using.

zorlac

I converted my parents Anveo account from their "free" pay as you go type of account to the $40/yr plan via the obitalk website following these instructions.
The conversion wasn't clear to me at first until I followed those directions.
At $3.33/mo it's still only about 1/10 of what they were paying Verizon for a POTS line.