News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

LLDP support for Obi200 devices

Started by SamO, February 09, 2016, 11:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamO

Please consider adding LLDP support to your Obi20x devices to automatically detect and use the "voice" tagged VLAN.   This would allow the devices to automatically work on the correct subnet in enterprise environments without needing to be configured or reconfigured.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Obihai doesn't read or take suggestions here on the forum.  If you are a service provider, contact Obihai directly to discuss your requirement.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 09, 2016, 01:50:02 PM
Obihai doesn't read or take suggestions here on the forum.  If you are a service provider, contact Obihai directly to discuss your requirement.

Really, why does this form have this area then, don't they want Product Ideas and Feature Requests? If they are not following the forum why not drop this area and stop misleading users? I guess every successful company ignores the opportunity to hear from users.

SamO

Ditto what bsdaiwa said. 

I was about to ask what the purpose of the "Feature Requests" forum was if not to humbly suggest improvements.

If this is really Obi's attitude, I'll look elsewhere for ATAs my company can use.

-Sam

SteveInWA

Don't be a tool.  I'm just reporting that the Obihai employees infrequently engage with users here on the forum.  If you have a specific feature request, or you need a way to provision your users' devices, the fastest and easiest way to communicate with Obihai is to open a support ticket.  They generally respond to tickets promptly.

SamO

Ah.. I see.   I got the impression from the tone of your initial response that you spoke for Obihai. 

Regardless, I did already open a ticket but since this is not a problem with the device or a bug in its firmware, I was simply told "it doesn't support that" and the ticket was closed.  I wasn't provided with any official options to request this feature (or the DHCP one I asked for in a different post).   This forum seemed like the only avenue, having hunted around on the web site.

I appreciate that you took the time to indicate that my suggestions will be ignored by Obihai.  That's unfortunate.

-Sam

SteveInWA

Here's the thing:

The standard, user-friendly, "Level 1 tech support" answer would have been:

"Thank you for your valuable feedback!  We welcome suggestions; please follow this procedure to submit your suggestion...blah blah blah."  In which case, you'd be directed to some spot to submit your request.

I'm just reporting that this forum has evolved to be primarily a user-to-user tech support discussion.  Yes, the suggestions/feature requests section exists.  Yes, you are welcome to add your suggestions.  Will someone at Obihai read it?  Probably, at some point in time.  But, you were asking for some specific provisioning functions, presumably for multiple devices, presumably something you'd need now, and experience has shown that the best way to discuss that sort of pre-sales question is to contact the company directly, not via a forum post, which may or may not be responded-to in a timely fashion.

I could have ignored your posts, but I thought that directing you to contact the company over the phone or via a support ticket would help get a faster response.

SamO

Thanks for the explanation.  I think we got off to a bad start.  I honestly thought you were replying on behalf of Obihai.  You have to admit it would be bad form for a company rep to tell me suggestions aren't taken in the request forum.   But I see you're telling me, "Sorry to have to tell you this but Obihai employees don't really read these forums."

I'll try to contact them by phone tomorrow and see if I get better response than by email.

-Sam