News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi/Google Voice disconnecting overnight

Started by since83, May 18, 2016, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

since83

Hi Steve, I don't have to wait until tomorrow to post (as you asked).  My Obi100 disconnected again at about 8pm Eastern (Weds. 5/18).  Now getting the same Google connection error message on the phone. And like you, I can't seem to bring up the screen in Obitalk where I can reconfirm my Gmail account.  So now, for the present, I am stuck with no service.  My status is backing off (851s)

This is my third connection failure in less than three days.

Taoman

Download the following new firmware version and install manually:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Please report back if that fixed the problem.

SteveInWA

Yes, that got rid of the inability to configure the device via the portal.  I have no idea if it will resolve the GV authentication issue, since there has been no communication from Obihai about this FW build.

since83

Quote from: Taoman on May 18, 2016, 05:30:55 PM
Download the following new firmware version and install manually:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw

Please report back if that fixed the problem.
Why would I install OBI 110 firmware on an Obi 100?

SteveInWA

100 and 110 units use the same firmware. 

since83

OK, how exactly do I go about updating firmware (manually)?  I have never done it before.  My device is just 16 months old.

SteveInWA

• Download and save the .fw file from Taoman's link.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 05:48:33 PM

• Download and save the .fw file from Taoman's link.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.

Damn you're quick! I was trying to beat you.  ;)

But, you forgot to mention the default password is admin

SteveInWA

Heh heh.  Well, if we were any more helpful, we'd teleport ourselves out to fix the units ourselves...for a fee.

since83

OK, I can report that I applied the firmware successfully.  The Obi 100 rebooted, my Green phone light is on, and I can make calls.  I did nothing else other than update the firmware.  I can also report that I can get to the SP1 configuration page that I could not get to an hour ago.  I was not asked to and I did not reconfirm my Google account.  I'll post again if the connection drops again.

The only thing I found confusing about the firmware upgrade was the little login box - yes the password being admin is important!  I actually typed in admin for the userid as well.

Mango

Once again, I'm reminded of why I still use 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) and only ever configure my device locally.

My Google Voice and SIP services continue to operate, trouble-free.

cyclops

Quote from: Mango on May 18, 2016, 06:17:16 PM
Once again, I'm reminded of why I still use 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) and only ever configure my device locally.

Double that. Even I'm still on that version without any issues. There is no way it will auto-upgrade, right?

SteveInWA

Quote from: cyclops on May 18, 2016, 06:27:10 PM

Double that. Even I'm still on that version without any issues. There is no way it will auto-upgrade, right?

You're a fool.  That's a security exposure.  Just update the firmware and get on with life.

cyclops

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 06:29:52 PM

You're a fool.  That's a security exposure.  Just update the firmware and get on with life.

What do you mean by security exposure? Any links to refer?

SteveInWA

Quote from: cyclops on May 18, 2016, 07:03:42 PM

Your device's downlevel firmware still contains your Google account's user ID and password, and it's directly logging into your Google Voice account.  This method was banned by Google back in 2013, and was the reason that Obihai had to stop supporting Google Voice until they updated their firmware to comply with Google's security requirements.

The current firmware uses the OAUTH 2.0 protocol to exchange secure tokens with Google, which only grants permission to certain limited services on your account -- in this case, Google Chat.  The OBiTALK web portal and the OBi devices never store your Google login credentials.

There is no legitimate reason to continue using the old login method.

cyclops

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 07:09:05 PM

Your device's downlevel firmware still contains your Google account's user ID and password, and it's directly logging into your Google Voice account.  This method was banned by Google back in 2013, and was the reason that Obihai had to stop supporting Google Voice until they updated their firmware to comply with Google's security requirements.

The current firmware uses the OAUTH 2.0 protocol to exchange secure tokens with Google, which only grants permission to certain limited services on your account -- in this case, Google Chat.  The OBiTALK web portal and the OBi devices never store your Google login credentials.

Okay. I got it. Better to upgrade it but probably I will leave it as is for now because of this issue people are facing. Or is it resolved with the 2866 firmware?

Also, the google account I use with obi exists just for making calls, so not a big deal for me.  ;D

SteveInWA

Quote from: cyclops on May 18, 2016, 07:15:56 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 07:09:05 PM

Okay. I got it. Better to upgrade it but probably I will leave it as is for now because of this issue people are facing. Or is it resolved with the 2866 firmware?

Also, the google account I use with obi exists just for making calls, so not a big deal for me.  ;D

Today's firmware update resolved the issue.

Mango

Quote from: cyclops on May 18, 2016, 06:27:10 PMThere is no way it will auto-upgrade, right?

It can auto-upgrade, if you have Auto Firmware Upgrade, ITSP Provisioning, OBiTalk Provisioning, or OBiTALK Service enabled.  Even with those disabled, it will auto-upgrade if you deal **5 (you can disable this with the DigitMap if you wish.)

Since it has not auto-upgraded by this point, you most likely have the above set already.

Quote from: cyclops on May 18, 2016, 07:03:42 PMWhat do you mean by security exposure? Any links to refer?

Google got its panties in a bunch about Obihai having access to thousands of OBi users' Google passwords via OBiTALK, so told Obihai they had to start using OAuth2.  If you have pre-OAuth2 firmware, there's no risk to using it, as you can't configure it with OBiTALK any more.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 07:09:05 PMThis method was banned by Google back in 2013,

Password authentication wasn't banned at all.  I've been using it since I bought my first 110 in 2011 and continue to use it today.  There's nothing wrong with password authentication - as long as your password isn't stored in the cloud.  Remember that 99.99% of consumer or SoHo-grade SIP devices use password authentication.  If you have a reason why a Google Voice password stored on my device is less secure than a SIP password stored on my device, let's hear it.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 18, 2016, 07:09:05 PMThere is no legitimate reason to continue using the old login method.

The following quote from one of the other threads seems like a pretty legitimate reason:

Quote from: radleresq on May 17, 2016, 04:44:06 PMI had to make a call- I'm in a very rural US area, so had to drive to someplace with cell coverage-

SteveInWA

You know darn well what I meant by "banned".  Google deprecated this method over two years ago, and required Obihai and other companies using it to stop doing so and change their authentication method.  Let's not play games here.  If you want to set up a sandboxed Google account that is only used for Google Chat, and no other Google services, that's your business, but don't advocate to the general user population that they continue to use this method.

Mango

You didn't answer my question.  Actually, I didn't phrase it like a question, so let me do so:

Why is a Google Voice password stored on my device any less secure than a SIP password, and what specific risk do I assume by using password authentication?