News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

simulataneous calls

Started by skipro, July 16, 2011, 12:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro

2 Google Voice accounts set to SP1 and SP2.
How do I get a dial tone [in order to call out] on SP2 while on a call on SP1?  I will be using 2 different phones.

RonR

An OBi100/110 supports only single-line telephones connected to the PHONE Port.  Having multiple single-line telephones connected to the PHONE Port does not allow separate simultaneous calls.  You can use the hook-flash to place a call on hold while you place a second call (and optionally conference the two calls together).

It is possible to connect additional telephones to the OBi using outboard ATA's, each of which can place calls independent of the telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port.

skipro

Please explain 2 calls per session in the following quote:
             http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=190.0
New firmware update (1892) added "Each Google Voice service supports 2 call sessions". 

I am not phone tech knowledgeable so you may need to dumby down your explanation.
What does this feature provide? I had interpreted this to mean two calls per session [at one time/simultaneously].

How do I hook-flash? Can this be done with a standard consumer phone? I tried using the flash button on my phone, but I did not receive a [second] dial tone.

Do I need call waiting for any of these functions?  Is call waiting part of Obi or Google voice?

jimates

From the other post.
Here is what I did:
setup:  sp1- GV (primary line), sp2- other sip service.
testing procedure:
1. Using cell phone1 call into AA and dial out using sp1(GV) to cell phone2 (got connected) .
2. then pickup home phone call cell phone 3. And get a greeting no service available something like that.

Session 1 - first call comes into the Obi
Session 2 - call is forwarded to another phone (using the same provider, SP1 set as default for outgoing calls)

At that point placing a call from the phone would require dialing **2 to access the SP2 for the outgoing call because both sessions were already in use on SP1. The "no service is available to complete the call ...... message was received because they dialed as if they were placing the call using the default provider (which already had both sessions active).

Successfully placing the call would have given 3 active sessions, two on SP1 and one on SP2. With 2 sessions used for the first call you can still use the 2 sessions available on SP2, either from the phone port or another call handled by the Obi itself.

The Obi does support 2 calls per session for GV. This means you can have 2 simultaneous calls on the same GV account/number at the same time. The Obi's limitation is to one phone on the phone port, so both calls have to be from the same phone. The calls can be both incoming or outgoing, or one of each. Because only one phone is supported, one of the calls will have to be on hold (unless they are conferenced together).

QuoteHow do I hook-flash? Can this be done with a standard consumer phone? I tried using the flash button on my phone, but I did not receive a [second] dial tone.

Normally the use of the flash button would connect you to another incoming call (using call waiting). Switching between incoming calls works like normal call waiting feature.

A feature of the Obi is to give you access to another service/session while another call is active. To access this feature you hook/flash while on an active call. A dial tone should be presented and you can place a call as normal. All calling rules will apply with disregard to the existing call. This means you can place the second call using a different provider (dial **2, **8 or **9) while leaving the second session available on the first provider.

If I recall correctly, once you have two calls active the call waiting feature is unavailable because hook/flash will be directed to your active calls, not to answer a third incoming call.

QuoteDo I need call waiting for any of these functions?  Is call waiting part of Obi or Google voice?
You need call waiting for incoming calls only. Call waiting is a feature of the service provider and/or the device. Google Voice does provide call waiting and the Obi supports it.

Each service provider needs to support multi session, GV supports 2 sessions.

With support for 2 calls if you have one GV account, you can get an incoming call and the Obi can forward or fork that call to another number using the same account. No second service provider needed. If you do have 2 providers set up on your Obi, the Obi can forward or fork an incoming call as described and you will still have another service provider to place or receive calls while the first call is still active, you won't tie up both providers with the same phone call.

Note: Since hook/flash from the phone port is local to the Obi, they initiated a "long hook/flash" feature that will connect the phone port to the PSTN. This allows one to answer call waiting calls from the PSTN provider instead of getting a second dial tone from the Obi.

RonR

Quote from: skipro on July 17, 2011, 04:35:34 AM
Please explain 2 calls per session in the following quote:
What does this feature provide? I had interpreted this to mean two calls per session [at one time/simultaneously].

It's actually a number of sessions per provider.  If a provider allows 2 sessions, it simply means you can have two calls in progress through that provider at any particular time.  Google Voice is limited to two sessions.  Some VoIP providers allow large numbers of sessions.

How do I hook-flash? Can this be done with a standard consumer phone? I tried using the flash button on my phone, but I did not receive a [second] dial tone.

Hook Flash is initiated by pressing the Flash button on your telephone or momentarily depressing the cradle switch.  If you're already on a call, the current call will be placed on hold and you will be given a new dialtone where you can place another call.  Hook Flash is also used to answer an incoming call if Call Waiting is enabled.  For more information, see the OBi Device Administration Guide.

Do I need call waiting for any of these functions?  Is call waiting part of Obi or Google voice?

You do not need Call Waiting from your telephone service provider.  If the OBi receives an incoming call while you're already on a call, the OBi provides the Call Waiting indication and allows you take the second call using Hook Flash.

skipro

Thanks folks.
I conclude from this that Obi can only handle one active call at a time with 2 GV and a standard landline, regardless of setup or configuration; only 1 call or conversation can be processed at one time with Obi using GV on SP1 & 2 and a landline.
There is no way to carry on 2 calls/conversations simultaneously even with multiple phones connected. The 2 sessions only allow for use of "hold" or conference calling.
Are my conclusions correct?

I am surprised that Obi does not allow at least 2 simultaneous calls.

RonR

Each Google Voice account can handle 2 simultaneous calls.  VoIP providers may support multiple simultaneous calls.

The PHONE Port can only accomodate 1 call at a time (maybe two if you consider conferencing/call waiting).

But the OBi can also be handling calls other than to the PHONE Port.  While you're talking to someone on the PHONE Port, another caller may be using the Auto Attendant to place an outgoing call, or another caller may have been automatically forwarded somewhere, etc.

bruss

if you have gv set up on sp1 and a IP phone configured on sp2 would the ip phone ring along with GV message waiting on the phone port?

Could you access the gv line while someone was talking on 1 of the 2 avail gv lines via the ph?

RonR

I have Google Voice on SP1 and a VoIP provider on SP2.

I have a telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port and a telephone connected to a PAP2 which talks to the OBi.

Incoming calls ring both telephones.  The one that answers first gets the call.

Both telephones can make separate outgoing calls.

skipro

To restate my setup:
1 Obi
2 GV accts for SP1 & 2 on PHONE and a standard land line on LINE. I have several phones connected to PHONE Port, and a standard land line connected to LINE Port.

QuoteEach Google Voice account can handle 2 simultaneous calls.  The PHONE Port can only accomodate 1 call at a time (maybe two if you consider conferencing/call waiting).

Are you saying that with only 1 Obi I can make only 1 active call at a time through my GV acct on PHONE. But if I had 2 OBIs, I could use the same GV acct and make 2 simultaneous calls 1 through Obi #1 PHONE and the 2nd through Obi #2 PHONE. Is this correct?

QuoteWhile you're talking to someone on the PHONE Port, another caller may be using the Auto Attendant to place an outgoing call,

This is where I get confused.
How does the other caller get to the auto attendant? Can the other caller call thru the same Obi or must it be done on a phone or line not connected to the Obi? If connected to the Obi, do they not need to get a dial tone to get to the auto attendant? How would they get a 2nd dial tone? I cannot get a 2nd dial tone once a call is in place.

DaveSin

Quote from: RonR on July 18, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
I have Google Voice on SP1 and a VoIP provider on SP2.

I have a telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port and a telephone connected to a PAP2 which talks to the OBi.

Incoming calls ring both telephones.  The one that answers first gets the call.

Both telephones can make separate outgoing calls.

RonR:

I'm trying to understand this setup.  You have Phone #1 connected to the PHONE Port of the OBi.  You also have a PAP2 Phone Port 1 connected to the Line Port of the OBi and a Phone #2 connected to Phone Port 2 of the PAP2.  I'm trying to understand why the incoming call ring both Phone #1 (OBi) and Phone #2 (PAP2-Phone Port 2)?  Is Line 1 and/or Line 2 of the PAP2 registered to a VoIP provider?  I take it that a incoming call to SP2 would also ring "both" phones #1 and Phone #2?

RonR

There's no LINE Port connection involved and no use of the Auto Attendant.

For incoming calls:

Voice Gateway5 communicates with the PAP2 via SIP, not the LINE Port.  The SP1, SP2, and LINE Port InboundCallRoute's ring both the PHONE Port and the PAP2 with a {ph,vg5(pap2)} rule.  The PAP2 is configured to answer calls without registration.

For Outgoing calls:

SP2 is configured for a SIP Provider.  The PAP2 is configured with the OBI's IP address and port 5061 for its SipProxy (without registration and make calls without registration).

More can be found here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=718.0

jimates

Quote from: skipro on July 18, 2011, 02:20:36 PM
Thanks folks.
I conclude from this that Obi can only handle one active call at a time with 2 GV and a standard landline, regardless of setup or configuration; only 1 call or conversation can be processed at one time with Obi using GV on SP1 & 2 and a landline.
There is no way to carry on 2 calls/conversations simultaneously even with multiple phones connected. The 2 sessions only allow for use of "hold" or conference calling.
Are my conclusions correct?

I am surprised that Obi does not allow at least 2 simultaneous calls.
The Obi can allow as many simultaneous calls as the configured providers allow. But it only allows one active call from the phone port. Other ATAs have more than one phone port, but will likely only allow one active call per port.

You could have an active call using the phone port and place another call using the Obion PC or Smartphone app, or another Obi using the Obitalk Service.

jimates

skipro,

You can make a call from the phone port of Obi 1 and then call into Obi 1 from Obi 2 and access the AA to place a second call through the same GV account.

You can set up one GV account on 2 Obi's, but you can't use them both at the same time. The last Obi to connect to the server will be the one that signs into GV.

jimates

This is where I get confused.
How does the other caller get to the auto attendant? Can the other caller call thru the same Obi or must it be done on a phone or line not connected to the Obi? If connected to the Obi, do they not need to get a dial tone to get to the auto attendant? How would they get a 2nd dial tone? I cannot get a 2nd dial tone once a call is in place.

must it be done on a phone or line not connected to the Obi?
yes, The AA is accessed using caller id of an incoming call. This is what the Circle of Trust is for.

bruss

Ron could i use this process to connect my LINKSYS SPA9642NA Ip Phone and Cisco 7960?

Quote from: RonR on July 18, 2011, 04:21:16 PM
There's no LINE Port connection involved and no use of the Auto Attendant.

For incoming calls:

Voice Gateway5 communicates with the PAP2 via SIP, not the LINE Port.  The SP1, SP2, and LINE Port InboundCallRoute's ring both the PHONE Port and the PAP2 with a {ph,vg5(pap2)} rule.  The PAP2 is configured to answer calls without registration.

For Outgoing calls:

SP2 is configured for a SIP Provider.  The PAP2 is configured with the OBI's IP address and port 5061 for its SipProxy (without registration and make calls without registration).

More can be found here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=718.0

RonR

I'm not familiar with those devices, but I would assume so.

bruss

so if i put my ipphone on vg1 with a name 7960 would my InBoundCallRoute be:

{7960>911:sp2},{7960>**0:aa},{7960>***:aa2},{7960>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{7960>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{7960>(<**3:>(Mvg3)):vg3},{7960>(<**4:>(Mvg4)):vg4},{7960>(<**6:>(Mvg6)):vg6},{7960>(<**7:>(Mvg7)):vg7},{7960>(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{7960>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{7960>(Mtg1):tg1},{ph,vg1(7960)}

RonR

Yes, assuming:

1. Your ipphone's username is 7960.

2. You want 911 to go out SP2.

3. Your PrimaryLine is Trunk Goup 1.

Note: The {7960>(<**3:>(Mvg3)):vg3},{7960>(<**4:>(Mvg4)):vg4},{7960>(<**6:>(Mvg6)):vg6},{7960>(<**7:>(Mvg7)):vg7} rules are there because I have SIP providers on VG3, VG4, VG6, and VG7.

bruss

so i took out the stuff you have i dont nee ie the other vg's

{7960>911:sp2},{7960>**0:aa},{7960>***:aa2},{7960>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{7960>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{7960>(<**3:>(Mvg1)):vg1},{7960>(Mtg1):tg1},{ph,vg1(7960)}

Right now i can call out but the phone isnt ringing?