News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring Tone

Started by npr1, June 21, 2016, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npr1

When making outgoing calls through my Obi110 over the land line (PSTN) I hear the correct UK ring tone.

When making outgoing calls through the Obi110 over SIP I hear a different ring tone.

I assume the ring tone is generated by the VOIP provider, in this case a Betamax reseller based somewhere in Europe. Is there any way I can get the Obi to intercept the ring tone and generate a UK tone.

azrobert

Use OBi Expert to change the Ringback Tone

Tone Settings -> Tone Profile A
Under Ringback Tone
TonePattern: 400-18,450-18;-1;(.4+.2,.4+2)

I left the strength of the tone at -18 dBm. I don't know if that is correct.

See Tone & Ring patterns in the Admin Guide:
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

npr1

Thanks, that's the setting I use but with -20dB.

From all my research trying to find a answer, that setting appears to set the ring tone some one would hear who phoned me. I can't find anywhere in the Obi a setting for the ring tone I hear, you would think there would be a way with such a configurable device -- am I missing something?

ianobi

As always with SIP, this is a bigger subject than it first appears! Have a read of this:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10233.0

The ring tone described by azrobert is not sent back to the callee, it is sent to the OBi110 Phone Port to tell you the callee is being rung if early media is not being used.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ianobi on June 22, 2016, 01:51:20 AM
As always with SIP, this is a bigger subject than it first appears! Have a read of this:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10233.0

The ring tone described by azrobert is not sent back to the callee, it is sent to the OBi110 Phone Port to tell you the callee is being rung if early media is not being used.

Actually, one could just jump to your excellent write-up here, and skip the rest:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10233.msg67758#msg67758

npr1

Thanks for the explanation, things are becoming much clearer.

I take it there's no way to override the "early media" tone and replace it with the Obi's own ring back tone.  ???

ianobi

As far as I know, the default position with SIP devices is that if "early media" is available, then it will be used rather than the locally generated tones. I don't know of any OBi setting that will override early media.

If it's important to you, then you might want to look at some UK beta max providers. I use voipcheap.co.uk for calls from house phone to mobile as their mobile rates are good. They use early media, but supply standard UK tones. I believe their parent company is based in Europe as payments always seem to get converted into euros. For most other calls I use sipgate.co.uk - good value for standard outgoing "landline" calls and free incoming calls. Again they do use early media, but again supply standard UK tones.

npr1

I've been using voipcheap.co.uk for a couple of days now, still getting the non-UK ring back tone on some calls. Guess it's something I'll just have to live with.

ianobi

This seems odd. is it possible to see any pattern as to what type of calls get UK tones and what type of calls do not get UK tones?

npr1

Yes, I'm trying to identify a pattern. The problem with that is, it's my wife who's complaining to me about this and she's being unclear about which calls show the problem (she spend that long on a call she's forgotten about the ring tone when she finishes  ::) ).

I'm mostly noticing non-UK ring tones to 3 mobile and Tesco mobile numbers, but it's not every call to the same number, some give UK ring tones some don't.

The non-UK tone is about 1 second brrr, 5 seconds silence repeating, if that helps identify the problem.

I was wondering if it's some sort of error tone, if it is though the call still goes through.

Is it worth setting up a syslog server, will that identify anything useful?

ianobi

QuoteI'm mostly noticing non-UK ring tones to 3 mobile and Tesco mobile numbers, but it's not every call to the same number, some give UK ring tones some don't.

That's odd. I would expect early media to return UK tone and if timing or some other problem meant early media was not used, then I would expect your OBi110 to send your chosen tone back to the Phone Port. Are you sure the OBi110 setting being used is Tone Settings -> Tone Profile A
Under Ringback Tone > TonePattern: 400-18,450-18;-1;(.4+.2,.4+2)

QuoteThe non-UK tone is about 1 second brrr, 5 seconds silence repeating, if that helps identify the problem.

More likely 2 secs on, 4 secs off? That's North American ring tone.

QuoteIs it worth setting up a syslog server, will that identify anything useful?

I don't think so. let me see if I can reproduce the problem here. I have a couple of OBi110s and an OBi1032. So far using the OBi1032 ip phone with voipcheap or sipgate always results in early media being used. Using an OBi110 is odd as it does not result in early media using voipcheap, but it does using sipgate. More testing required here.

I'm using Wireshark to analyse what's going on so I can actually see when the early media starts up, or not. I can see it graphically and even play it back and its always UK tone.

Might be worth you changing you default OBi ringtone to say a "fast busy" or something very distinctive so you can be sure its coming from your OBi or from the voip server using early media.

This might take a few days ...   :)

npr1

Settings in use:
Phone Port and Line Port:
ToneProfile:  A

Tone Profile A and B are both the same:
Ringback Tone: 400-20,450-20;-1;(.4+.2,.4+2) -- copy and past to ensure no typos.

During the past hour or so, each test gives me the correct UK ringback -- typical when trying to fault find.  ???
Good suggestion to change the ringback profile, I've changed it to "Holding Tone".
I'm hearing the standard UK ringback tone, so it looks like I'm being sent early media from the SIP server.
Tested this with voipcheap.co.uk and freevoipdeal.com, both give the same result.

For completeness I've checked my WAN IP address is geolocation registered to the UK, which it is with the main data bases I've checked.

Setup a syslog server, haven't a clue what all the syslog data means -- can't see anything to say I'm receiving early media or that the Obi is generating the tone.

ianobi

QuoteDuring the past hour or so, each test gives me the correct UK ringback -- typical when trying to fault find.

We've all been there  ;)

So far, my testing seems to show that voipcheap is sending early media containing UK ring tone. My OBi1032 ip phone decodes this properly every time, but the OBi110 fails to see the early media sometimes - maybe? However, this failure should result in you hearing UK ring tone anyhow, if that's what you have set in your Tone Profile.

Looks like an interesting problem with no guaranteed solution! Heading for a beer now - will look again tomorrow.

npr1

If the Obi is not seeing the early media, could it be that it's also not seeing the 180 (Ringing) response. Would that result in some sort of error tone?

Heading for a beer sounds a excellent idea.  8)

ianobi

I can't get voipcheap to fail to give early media so far today. I thought it might be helpful to show a Wireshark flow diagram of a call I made from my OBi today via voipcheap to my mobile – see attached voipcheap1. Roughly speaking:

SIP signalling controls the call.
RTP (Real Time Protocol) carries any tones and speech.
SDP (Session Description Protocol) states which codecs are being offered and what ip address / port to send the RTP stream to.

Call sequence – just the important bits:

INVITE – first INVITE from OBi says "hello I want to talk to you" it includes SIP contact info plus SDP.
401 from voipcheap says "I don't know you, who are you?"
INVITE – second INVITE from OBi same as first, but now also includes your username and password.
183 Session Progress / SDP from voipcheap (heading is cut short on flow chart). This is instead of a 180 Ringing message. By sending SDP to the OBi it's telling OBi the ip address and port to send its RTP stream to. OBi automatically reacts to receiving this information by sending RTP to voipcheap. Voipcheap also sends RTP to OBi and so "early media" is established.
200 OK SDP is the signal that the called party has answered. RTP media is already established so chatting can commence.
The BYE sequence can be in any order depending who hangs up first.

I looked at a few other voip providers. SIP2SIP use 180 Ringing and never 183. This means the OBi always uses its internal tones. Sipgate uses both 180 and 183 – not sure why, but "early media" is always the result. All a bit messy!

Attached voipcheap2 is the frequency graph of the "early media" RTP, clearly shows the classic UK ring tone. I also listened to it. I hope it's not illegal to record and listen to calls to yourself   :)

npr1

Thanks for posting the wireshark capture together with your explanation, I found it very informative.

For the past two days I've only been getting the correct UK ringback tone from the two Betamax resellers I use -- freevoipdeal.com and voipcheap.co.uk. About a weeks ago I raised this issue with freevoipdeal, their reply wasn't very encouraging, they just said "We have forwarded your suggestion to our development team". I didn't expect much from that, but perhaps something has been done at Betamax end.   ??? Time will tell  :)

Deanstone

Quote from: npr1 on June 25, 2016, 12:18:31 PM
If the Obi is not seeing the early media, could it be that it's also not seeing the 180 (Ringing) response. Would that result in some sort of error tone?

Heading for a beer sounds a excellent idea.  8)

It would be nice!