News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Shut Off Specific Service Alert

Started by zaragoza2, December 28, 2016, 08:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaragoza2

Every night, I unplug all electrical appliances.  A few days ago, i updated my Obihai110 firmware.  Now, every morning, I receive the following e-mail alert:

"Your OBi device went offline. This could be due to an Internet service disruption, electrical outage.

In most cases, the OBi device's connection can be restored by troubleshooting.

Check out the OBiTALK Self-Help Guide for assistance troubleshooting your OBi device."

Is there a way to shut that alert off?  Thanks.

SteveInWA

Yes, don't unplug stuff.  The OBi uses less electricity than a night light.  You can run it, and your router, all year, for less than the cost of a beer.  Turning devices on and off over and over is also causing unnecessary stress on the components.

zaragoza2

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 28, 2016, 10:21:57 AM
Yes, don't unplug stuff.  The OBi uses less electricity than a night light.  You can run it, and your router, all year, for less than the cost of a beer.  Turning devices on and off over and over is also causing unnecessary stress on the components.

Nice try.  And cute.  But that's not what I asked.  I asked: HOW DO I SHUT IT OFF!

LTN1

I don't think you provided enough information. The OBi device by itself, even with Google Voice, doesn't send out alerts like that--at least I have not received any for the past 3 years when using the device.

When doing a Google of part of your question, I get a short thread below indicating that other service providers like Anveo may have some type of alert when using it with the OBi device--perhaps to alert the user in the event the system goes offline and using 911 may be a major problem (?).

See https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10105.0

So, if you have a third part service provider in conjunction with the OBi device, perhaps try there first. If you do want to elaborate, provide more details--and you appear like an a$$hole in your follow up comment to Steve whether you intended it or not.

SteveInWA

Here is a photo of an actual OBi 110, plugged into a Watt meter.  It is using 1.2 Watts.

1.2W / 1000W per KW x 24 hours per day x 365 days per year, x $.12 per KWH = $1.26 worth of electricity in a year.

The same equation, assuming the device is unplugged for 9 hours per night, = $.78 worth of electricity in a year.

So, all this wasted effort over a forty-seven cent saving per year.

Lavarock7

There may be reasons his Obi is not powered on all day.

For example, my neighbor uses a gas generator for a few hours of electricity and is powerless the rest of the day. If he had a need for an Obi I would have come up with a battery-powered solution, but in his case, he would not have had an internet modem or router powered up either.

While many people in the U.S. have electricity and water all the time, it is not the case elsewhere.

Many people in my state rely upon rainfall and catchment tanks. They also get water totes ($250 or so), a plastic container in a wire frame and go to the public water tap for free water and drive home with it. I personally have 80,000 gallons of catchment water and 2 large totes here on my land.

One of my neighbors up the hill has no cable or DSL. He had to get a Verizon unit to get data service and use its wifi to get his local computer on the internet.

So as I say, not everyone has the luxury of others may have.

The OPs mileage may vary :-)
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

LTN1

Just received an e-mail from Obihai about their new feature of OBi Notify here: https://www.obitalk.com/info/premiumsupport

Seems like Obihai is providing this new feature (e-mailing the user when the device is offline) for customers of the OBi2XX series (doesn't apply to the 1XX series--so wouldn't apply to the OP's situation--who has an OBi110) within the 1 year warranty and thereafter, for those who continue to purchase premium support.

Mango

Quote from: zaragoza2 on December 28, 2016, 08:25:27 AMIs there a way to shut that alert off?  Thanks.

OBi Notify is a brand-new feature, just released yesterday, so we don't know yet.  I don't have a support plan so I can't investigate for you.

I suggest logging in to OBiTALK and seeing if the configuration option is there.  (Search for OBi Notify.)  If not, I would be surprised, but in that case you could use an email filter to automatically delete the emails.

If you would be so kind, please post the solution if you find it, in case others have the same problem.

drgeoff

As already pointed out by LTN1 the Notify feature is not available for OBi100 and OBi110 devices.  The OP wrote that he has an OBi110.  Or does he also have a 200 or 202 but did not think it relevant to mention that because he wondered if the start of the notifications was caused by the updated 110 firmware?

Mango

Where do you guys see that?  The email I received says "OBi Notify is available to customers who have OBiTALK Premium Support."  Based on that, if his 110 has a support plan, OBi Notify should work.

LTN1

Quote from: Mango on December 31, 2016, 08:25:05 AM
Where do you guys see that?  The email I received says "OBi Notify is available to customers who have OBiTALK Premium Support."  Based on that, if his 110 has a support plan, OBi Notify should work.

Read Obihai's online notice (that was previously linked): https://www.obitalk.com/info/premiumsupport

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the following:

*OBi Notify and OBiEXTRAs are not available on the OBi100 and OBi110 devices. The OBi1xx series devices are End-of-Life. We recommend customers with an OBi100 or OBi110 upgrade to an OBi2xx series device.

dwestall

For those of us who do have a OBi2xx device and OBiTALK Premium Support, where do we setup/enable/disable OBi Notify? I tried purposely blocking internet access to my Obi, it shows as "Offline" in my Dashboard, but I did not receive any notification.

I have the latest firmware.

LTN1

Quote from: dwestall on December 31, 2016, 10:58:46 AM
For those of us who do have a OBi2xx device and OBiTALK Premium Support, where do we setup/enable/disable OBi Notify? I tried purposely blocking internet access to my Obi, it shows as "Offline" in my Dashboard, but I did not receive any notification.

I have the latest firmware.

Carefully re-read my response above yours.

dwestall

Quote from: LTN1 on December 31, 2016, 11:31:32 AM

I did, and it doesn't answer my question. But, I see Steve's response and it appears nobody knows.

SteveInWA

Quote from: dwestall on December 31, 2016, 01:56:57 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on December 31, 2016, 11:31:32 AM

I did, and it doesn't answer my question. But, I see Steve's response and it appears nobody knows.

I am working with Sherman on this.  Given the holiday, I don't know when it will be resolved.  I will update if I have any new information.

Meanwhile, OP, what is/are your telephone service provider(s)?  Just Google Voice?  GV + Anveo E911?  Or, what, exactly?

Have you contacted the non-Google service providers to ask about this issue?  If not, do so.

LTN1

How to enable OBi Notify: Please see attachment below.

It will not be available for the OBi1xx series unless Obihai makes a change at a later date.

SteveInWA

Follow-up as of this evening:

• The OBi Notify service is now working for the 20x and 10x2 series of products that are under warranty or paid premium support.  "OBiEXTRAS" is not needed for this specific notification feature.
  • The notice that the OP received was probably during Obihai's testing phase, and is not expected for OBi 1x0 devices.
  • See the notice from Obihai, posted by LTN1 above, for instructions to enable or disable notifications

I suggest posting any further discussion to this dedicated discussion thread, where I also posted a screenshot of the notification:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12324.msg78546#msg78546