News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What is a "softphone"...?

Started by rggg, January 14, 2017, 11:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rggg

I see a 9-digit number for a "softphone" on my OBI Dashboard.  Have no idea what this is.  I'm guessing the number cannot be a phone number as it is one digit short...?

Also, while I'm here, a couple more questions...

1)  I seem to have magically "connected" to GV as SP1 as shown on my OBi Dashboard when I logged in this morning.  (Last night it showed error codes when I shut down...!)  I assume I could also add an SP2, for example "Anveo" or "Phone Power", and get another number.  Does this mean I could dial out using either SP1 or SP2 and could get incoming calls from each of these service providers on the same single phone plugged into the OBi...?

2)  I don't see any mention of cost of taxes added to the rates advertised by the commercial service providers nor to GV services.  I cannot believe the gov't has not found a way to tax these phone services...!  Are there taxes involved....?

Thanks...!

drgeoff

Softphone is a generic term for a phone, typically an IP phone, implemented as a software program or app running on a computer, tablet, phone etc.

Obihai have/had their Obion softphone app for PCs, Android and iOS.  That can communicate with OBi ATAs and Obion softphones over the Obitalk network.  Each account on the Obitalk portal gets one free 9 digit number to allocate to an Obion softphone.

As regards the question(s) in the 1) paragraph, yes.

robcmtx

Is there an up-to-date Android app? It currently does not show up in the Play Store for my ASUS Tablet (Android 7).

Also, is there an app for ubuntu/Linux so I can use my laptop to place calls through my OBi1062 sitting next to it?

Thanks,
Robert

drgeoff

Quote from: robcmtx on October 17, 2018, 05:33:45 PM
Is there an up-to-date Android app? It currently does not show up in the Play Store for my ASUS Tablet (Android 7).

Also, is there an app for ubuntu/Linux so I can use my laptop to place calls through my OBi1062 sitting next to it?

Thanks,
Robert
None of Obihai's softphone apps (the ones to which you can allocate the softphone number shown on your dashboard) have been updated in years.  I can attest that the Android one does work on Android 4.2.2 but not on Android 7.0.  I don't know which version was the cut-off point.

There are many VoIP SIP apps for Android and Ekiga is one I know of which will run on Ubuntu.