News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice to CallCentric Delayed Fowarding Rings

Started by chilirock, February 12, 2017, 01:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilirock

I have Google Voice setup to forward to my CallCentric Free DID so I can get CNAM. The CallCentric number is setup on my Obi200 on SP2. It's been setup this way for almost a year without problem.

In the last week or so, I've noticed more calls going to GV voicemail rather than getting picked up by the home answering machine. I tried calling my GV number and I hear 3 rings before the home number rings. It used to ring the home number almost instantly. In the last week or so, there's a 3 ring delay.

My GV account was switched over to the new site in the past week or so. Do you think this has something to do with it?

Here's what I've done to try to fix it.

1) Deleted the CallCentric number from GV and re-added it. Still the same delayed ring issue
2) Unchecked the CallCentric number in GV setup and checked Google Chat. Calls ring instantly on the Obi200
3) Called my CallCentric number directly. It rings instantly on the Obi200

Not sure what else to try. Have others with GV->CC setup been experiencing the same delays in call forwarding from Google?

Taoman

Quote from: chilirock on February 12, 2017, 01:46:21 PM
Not sure what else to try. Have others with GV->CC setup been experiencing the same delays in call forwarding from Google?

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing with my Callcentic line that I've had for several years. In addition to forwarding to Callcentric, my GV line forwards to my Verizon cell phone, IPComms DID, and a SIP URI forward to Anveo from Simonics. All those routes ring instantly except CC. Within the last week, calls forwarded to my Callcentric DID take several rings/seconds longer before ringing on my OBi-connected phone.

I'm glad you posted this as I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem. At least now I know it's not just me. I have never experienced this problem using Callcentric before although I know others have. I was considering getting a second free CC DID with different area code (current one is 845) to see if it made any difference.

Hopefully SteveInWa will stop by and give his input. But I know he has his hands full helping in the Google Voice support forum. People are going bat-shit crazy over this Google Voice update.

SteveInWA

I started experiencing this on Friday, I think.  I don't get more than a couple of inbound calls per day to my GV number, and so I just chalked it up to some transient issue.  I happened to be testing the new OBiWiFi 5GHz dongles yesterday, and so I was making lots of inbound calls to my GV number from a T-Mobile number.  The symptom you describe was intermittent for me.  I have a friend on Sprint who calls my GV number nearly every day, and his calls got through, after a brief delay.

I don't have any inside information on this, and the Google engineer I used to work with on these issues moved on, so I am of no help here.  At the moment, the Google staff is heads-down dealing with the consequences of the app and GUI updates, so they aren't even responding to "regular" issues.

My guess is that this is just another case of a problem with a transit carrier between GV and CC, and we all know how that goes...lots of back-and-forth "not our problem".  I am going to be optimistic that it gets resolved behind the scenes.  At least the calls aren't failing completely.

But I know he has his hands full helping in the Google Voice support forum. People are going bat-shit crazy over this Google Voice update.

I had already decided before the updates, that I was spending too much of my time as an unpaid tech support drone over there.  After thirty thousand posts, I decided to spend more time "IRL".  Now, it's just too many people asking the same questions over and over.

djjazzy28

Me too! Just noticed nearly all my incoming calls to GV are not being fowarded as quickly as in the past.  My GV forwards to Callcentric and my Obi200 was always ringing the attached phone in a timely manner.  Now there is a 3-4 ring delay before the obi rings the phone. That delay is causing all my calls to be picked up by the GVoice mail system before my answering machine picks up. Some calls to GV aren't even making it to the Obi and go straight to GV mail. 

This just started before the weekend.  I'm thinking Thur or Fri of last week.  I've now just checked google chat and
currently not forwarding to Callcentric until this clears up.  Calls directly to Callcentric get picked up by the Obi instantly.

SteveInWA

I performed some additional tests tonight.  I have two Callcentric/Telengy inbound DIDs, both with the same area code and prefix, and differing only by one digit.  I wasn't using the second number for anything other than a fax mailbox, so I temporarily added and verified it on my GV account.  Inbound calls to the GV number immediately rang that CC DID.  Humph.  So I deleted and re-added the original CC DID, tested again, and both numbers had the delayed ring this time.

I also have two local (425) ported-in DIDs hosted by Callcentric, and both of those ring immediately when added as GV forwarding numbers.  So, this is definitely another classic Bandwidth--->transit carrier--->Telengy issue.

I think the problem is intermittent and dependent on which route the calls take between GV and Telengy...similar to some of the other GV-->CC problems over the years, as I mentioned above.

There's nothing that can be done about this, other than a) waiting it out to see if it mysteriously gets resolved, or b) give up on it and forward to Google Chat instead, or c) get (or port in) a local, non-Telengy DID from Callcentric, and pay about $60/year for unlimited inbound service.  PhonePower has a similar price, but apparently for inbound + outbound + E911, so likely a better deal if you make a lot of call.

chilirock

For now, I've turned off the Call Forwarding to the CallCentric number and turned on Google Chat. I lose the CNAM even though I'm paying for it, but at least I get my incoming calls. I created a help ticket with CallCentric. CallCentric's response was that it was likely a Google Voice issue. So I posted a help topic similar to this on over on the Google Voice Forum.

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on February 13, 2017, 06:27:53 AM
For now, I've turned off the Call Forwarding to the CallCentric number and turned on Google Chat. I lose the CNAM even though I'm paying for it, but at least I get my incoming calls. I created a help ticket with CallCentric. CallCentric's response was that it was likely a Google Voice issue. So I posted a help topic similar to this on over on the Google Voice Forum.

Neither party is interested in further troubleshooting this issue.  It has a long history (years) of finger-pointing.

Perhaps Taoman could open a ticket with RingTo/Bandwidth, but aside from that, there's nothing that can be done.

djjazzy28

Just now checked fwd to CC from my GV number, and it rang almost instantly! 1700 hrs 2/13. My CC number is a 646 area code.  Gonna keep it forwarded for now and see if GV forwards to CC in a timely manner.  Just tested it again right before I post this, and it rang instantly again.  Hope it stays like this.

SteveInWA

Thanks for the update.

Yah, my two CC/Telengy Area Code 845 numbers are ringing immediately today.  Chalk it up to another classic telco answer, "Humm, it's working now."

Taoman

Likewise. Forwarding to Callcentric from GV appears to be back to normal.

chilirock

I tried forwarding mine again about an hour ago and it seems to be ringing through normally again for me as well. My CC area code is 631. I've unchecked Google Chat and I'm leaving my GV forwarded to CC again. I'm crossing my fingers.

LTN1

Most of my GV forwarding to CC numbers are working normally again. As of this time though, there are 2 that I have, that are still delayed. Hopefully this will resolve by tomorrow.

Update: As of this morning, all my GV forwarding to CC numbers seem to be working normally. All numbers are in the 916 area code.

djjazzy28

2/15/17 1800 PDT
GV now not ringing CC in a timely manner.  Looks like my delayed ringing is  back. Anyone else report back GV forwarding to CC.

LTN1

Last night it seemed to be delaying again but as of now, it appears to be back to normal--at least for the 2 test calls I've tried to my 916 area code.

This type of beginning to be regular problem is not how these businesses should be functioning.

djjazzy28

2/16/17  2100 hrs
GV forwarding to CC rings almost right away again, unlike yesterday.
GV forwarding to a 646 CC area code. 

as of now seems to be working fine.  We'll see how it behaves tomorrow.

Shanegru

Complete noob to the obihai and GV/VOIP scene so forgive me if this is a dumb question...

I set up CC as SP2 for CNAM and  911 and everything seemed fine. However I started noticing missed calls between GV and CC and calls being routed to the google attendant/voicemail Would it be possible to bypass the forwarding provided by GV (switch back to google chat), set an InboundCallRoute or unconditional forward to accomplish forwarding? I tried SP1(my CC #) for unconditional forwarding. However it does not route the inbound call number and shows my Gv number instead.