News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Second-Hand Obi 110 Installation Issues

Started by yucateco, May 19, 2017, 07:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yucateco

I just bought a second hand Obi 110 from Ebay and am having a hard time activating it. The power button is solid green (no blinking). I have cordless Uniden phone. I try to activate it using the code given to me, but the phone reads "Searching" and then "Unavailable" after trying the number.

I reached out to Obi support, but all they told me was that my Obi is an end of life device and I should buy a new one. Did I get ripped off in buying the Obi 110 and will I have to get something else or is there something I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks.

drgeoff

"Searching" and "Unavailable" are not messages generated by an OBi. Much more likely your cordless handset is not connecting to its base station.  Try an ordinary corded phone.

Do not try the **5 procedure until you have successfully called the **9 222 222 222 echo test.

SteveInWA

Quote from: yucateco on May 19, 2017, 07:29:14 AM
I try to activate it using the code given to me, but the phone reads "Searching" and then "Unavailable" after trying the number.
??? ??? ???  Please describe this in more and clearer detail.  Do those words appear on the cordless telephone handset's display, or what?  Do you get a dial tone when you press the call button?  If you don't get a dial tone, when using some other, known good telephone, then you bought a dead OBi.

IMO, it's not worth it to buy any OBi products off of eBay or Craigslist.  They are likely to be defective, and the cost of a new one also gets you a year of warranty.

yucateco

Thanks to both of you. I will try to test it out with another phone to see if it works. The message appears on my phone's screen.

Just a random question to you both. Do you know whether their is an advantage between a corded phone vs. a wireless phone when using an Obi device? Just something I was wondering about. Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: yucateco on May 22, 2017, 08:04:54 AM
Thanks to both of you. I will try to test it out with another phone to see if it works. The message appears on my phone's screen.

Just a random question to you both. Do you know whether their is an advantage between a corded phone vs. a wireless phone when using an Obi device? Just something I was wondering about. Thanks.
I'm 99.9% certain that message is not coming from the OBi.  If you unplug the cordless base station from the Obi you will get the same message on the handset.  If you unplug the power cord into the cordless base station you will also get that message.  If it is a DECT phone there is a procedure to pair a handset with the base.  The way to do that varies between manufacturer and model so you need to consult the manual.  If you don't have it, look online. https://www.uniden.com/product-information/owners-manuals

As far as the OBi is concerned it has no way of knowing if you are using corded or cordless.  With a decent DECT phone, operating within range of its base, the sound quality is just as good as a corded phone.  The old analogue cordless things are a different story.