News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Make call from xlite/obipc app

Started by gmvolk, July 29, 2011, 08:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmvolk

Can the xlite/obipc app be used to make a call using SP2?  I tried doing **2 plus phone number, but it goes to the AA which then just rings my phone when I press 1 to continue this call.

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: gmvolk on July 29, 2011, 08:45:21 AM
Can the xlite/obipc app be used to make a call using SP2?  I tried doing **2 plus phone number, but it goes to the AA which then just rings my phone when I press 1 to continue this call.

If you configured the OBi through the OBiTALK Web Portal, you can only make calls though the PrimaryLine.

Here's a solution that allows Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0

gmvolk

Thanks, but this all sounds like way more then I want to do.  There must be a simpler way to make a call using SP2 from the xlite/obiapp than that.

RonR

You could use the OBiTALK Web Portal to reconfigure your OBi, making SP2 the PrimaryLine, but then you won't be able to get to SP1 using **1.

The general purpose approach I pointed you to is only a couple of copy/paste's and entering a couple of OBiTALK numbers, so it's really quite simple.

gmvolk

But none of it made any sense.  It did not describe what it was doing nor how to do it.  Plus I do not want to call another Obi(don't know anyone else with one).  I want to have the capability of using SP2 to make calls on my PC if my wife is on the other(SP1) line.  The numbers I call may be landlines or cell phones.  If there is a better explanation of the post you linked, that may help explain things.

RonR

The title of the post is : Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk

The description reads:

This article illustrates how to configure 1 to 98 OBi100/OBi110 devices plus any number of OBiON Apps for single-stage dialing capability.  Any OBi or OBiON App can initiate a call through any trunk of any OBi.  OBi's are named #2 through #99, with no OBi named #1 due to Speed Dial #1 being forced to be an OBiON App by the OBiTALK Web Portal.

I'm not sure how to describe what it does more clearly.  You're wanting to do single-stage dialing through SP2 of your OBi instead of being limited to dialing through the PrimaryLine only (SP1 in your case).  That's precisely what this configuration allows you to do.

It's an example showing three OBi's and their OBiTALK numbers.  Given that you have only one OBi, you would only be concerned with the first OBi in the example and you'd obviously substitute your OBi's OBiTALK number for 200123002.

OBi #   :  OBiTALK #
====      =======
OBi #2  :  200123002

It tells you exactly what to put in various places:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:

{(Mcot)>(Mpli):pli},{(Mcot)>(<*1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<*2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<*8:>(Mli)):li},
{(Mcot)>(<*9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},
{(Mcot)>(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}

Note: Replace pli above (2 places) with the OBi's PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine trunk name (sp1,sp2,li,pp,tg1) as the OBi won't do it for you.

User Settings -> User Defined Digit Maps -> User Defined Digit MapX:

Label : cot
DigitMap : (200123002|290123456)

Note: These are trusted caller OBiTALK numbers.  This DigitMap should also contain the OBiTALK numbers of any OBiON Apps that are used (290123456 represents your OBiON App OBiTALK number).

In the PHONE Port and Auto Attendant DigitMap's, change [1-9]x?*(Mpli) to [1-9]x?*@@.

In the PHONE Port and Auto Attendant OutboundCallRoute's, change {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp} to {([1-9]x?*@@.):pp}

Speed Dial #2 : PP(ob200123002)

Once configured, you can dial from the OBiON App through any trunk on your OBi as follows:

18005551212  ->  PrimaryLine
**1 18005551212  ->  SP1 Service
**2 18005551212  ->  SP2 Service
**8 18005551212  ->  LINE Port
**9 200123456      ->  OBiTALK Service

This configuration works equally well whether you have one OBi or 98 OBi's in a network.  It supports one OBiON App or any number of OBiON Apps.  I'm sorry my example illustrating the use of three OBi's made it confusing to you.  I hope this helps.

earthtoobi

Ron: have tried this in the past and it works beautifully. i think it should be integrated into  the obi product feature set itself as it is pretty generic.

gmvolk

OK, I tried what you said and yes it does work.  I guess the confusing part was it was called "single stage dialing", who but a phone person would even know what that meant? :D 
I am not sure what you did with Speed Dial #2 : PP(ob200123002), I did not add a speed dial so I am guessing it is not needed.  The biggest problem with the Obi, and I guess really any cutting edge product, is that the documentation is geared more towards experts rather than end users.  I would hope in the future, that they take all the hard work that users like you have done and incorporate it better into the product.

I thank you for your time and help!

On a side note, if say my wife is using SP1 and a call comes thru the SP2 line will it ring on my pc with the Xlite software?  Assuming of course that my pc is running. 

RonR

Quote from: gmvolk on July 29, 2011, 08:04:55 PM
I guess the confusing part was it was called "single stage dialing", who but a phone person would even know what that meant? :D 

Obihai uses the term two-stage dialing to refer to dialing through the Auto Attendant and one- or single-stage dialing to refer to direct dialing without the use of the Auto Attendant.  I didn't coin these terms but I use them as that's how it's documented in the OBi Device Administration Guide.

I am not sure what you did with Speed Dial #2 : PP(ob200123002), I did not add a speed dial so I am guessing it is not needed.

With Speed Dial #2 defined, you would also be able to dial as follows:

2*18005551212  ->  PrimaryLine
2 **1 18005551212  -> SP1 Service
2 **2 18005551212  -> SP2 Service
2 **8 18005551212  -> LINE Port
2 **9 200123456      -> OBiTALK Service

This isn't terribly exciting when you have only one OBi available to place calls through, but it's essential for two or more OBi's in order to be able to address a specific device in the network.

The biggest problem with the Obi, and I guess really any cutting edge product, is that the documentation is geared more towards experts rather than end users.  I would hope in the future, that they take all the hard work that users like you have done and incorporate it better into the product.

It's extremely difficult to document it any other way when it uses a very large set of complex expressions and rules for configuration.  Anyone wanting to fully exploit the flexibility and capability of such a device has to be willing to spend a considerable amount of time reading the Administration Guide and getting their hands dirty.

On a side note, if say my wife is using SP1 and a call comes thru the SP2 line will it ring on my pc with the Xlite software?  Assuming of course that my pc is running. 

If you'd like to receive incoming calls on your PC in addition to the OBi PHONE Port, change the ph or {ph} rule on each of the InboundCallRoute's to:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob290123456)}

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob290123456)}

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob290123456)}

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob290123456)}

where 290123456 is the PC's OBiTALK number.

gmvolk

So if I only want to receive calls on SP2 through the PC or normally, would I only change the PH rule for SP2, correct?  I have downloaded the Admin guide, I just have not had much time yet to look thru it.  I suppose I will, I want to be able to break down those expressions and rules, I like to know what something does and why before accepting them at face value, just have not had the time this week at all.

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: gmvolk on July 30, 2011, 07:58:15 AM
So if I only want to receive calls on SP2 through the PC or normally, would I only change the PH rule for SP2, correct?

Correct.

gmvolk

Making these changes breaks the **9 222 222 222 obi test.  Not a huge issue, but not sure if you also can't call other's obis?

RonR

Quote from: gmvolk on August 05, 2011, 04:24:21 PM
Making these changes breaks the **9 222 222 222 obi test.  Not a huge issue, but not sure if you also can't call other's obis?

That shouldn't be the case.  When making an outgoing call, the InboundCallRoute doesn't come into play and should not have any effect.  I have all these changes in my OBi's (and more) and don't have problems with any outgoing calls.

gmvolk

Not sure than.  My wife said she was hearing delays, and I heard echos during some phone calls.  I decided to try the obi test number, immediately got a busy signal while the phone was still dialing.  Removed all the changes you suggested, and the obi test number works.

RonR

If these are capabilities you wish to have, you might try puting the changes back one at at time and see which one is causing the problem with the echo test.  I suspect there was typo in the PHONE Port DigitMap or OutboundCallRoute.

gmvolk

Pretty much did copy and paste, and fill in were my obi numbers would go.  I probably never would have called the Obi test number, but like I said we are getting a delay and sometimes echo on phone calls.  Could be the cheap Vtech DECT 6 phones, never did like them.  The only other phone I have right now is an AT&T, but it's the old 2.4 that interferes with the WiFi.