News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Authentication error [fixed]

Started by BigRedBrent, August 11, 2017, 12:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango

Quote from: Freshmaker on August 11, 2017, 12:27:25 PM
Can someone from Obi give a summary of what happened exactly, and what steps can/will be taken to prevent it from happening again?

Chances are we will never know exactly what happened.  As a rule, Obihai doesn't share information.  In fact I'm surprised they posted here today at all.

SteveInWA

Obihai support posted here, because I escalated it to them and pointed to this thread.

Google caused the issue.  It was a one-off, won't-happen-again issue.  It was not an expired certificate or token.
I'm not able to disclose any further details.

nickforum

I had this issue.  i had posted in one of the threads.  it is working this morning.
BUT, QUESTOIN, on FIRMWARE UPDATE related to this

yestereay, when this occurred, I searched the forum , found older threads, thinking that those fixes wer needed, and they mentioned FIRMWARE UPDATE.  So, I dialed "***6", did say firmware update available, and I did the firmware update.

BUT, had this issue never happened, I would not have thought about FIRMWARE UPDATE at ALL !! (Obi 200)

Is there a message or prompt that will AUTO-ALERT us to the fact that updates are avilable, or do we have to actually check periodically to see if one is available??
thanks

Mango

No there is not.  Obihai is very secretive with firmware updates - not only when they are released, but what bugs they fix and what features they introduce.

If you wish you can subscribe to https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.0 where users report new versions when they find them.

66michael99

Quote from: Mango on August 12, 2017, 08:32:15 AM
No there is not.  Obihai is very secretive with firmware updates - not only when they are released, but what bugs they fix and what features they introduce.

If you wish you can subscribe to https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.0 where users report new versions when they find them.

Apparently not for everybody. I updated @ 5695. Followed every excruciating detail. I'd do a complete reset but fear loosing Anveo - my pain line. Google voice simply does not authenticate.

SteveInWA

Quote from: 66michael99 on September 25, 2017, 11:05:58 AM

Apparently not for everybody. I updated @ 5695. Followed every excruciating detail. I'd do a complete reset but fear loosing Anveo - my pain line. Google voice simply does not authenticate.

What do you mean?  "apparently not for everybody"? 

66michael99

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 25, 2017, 02:55:08 PM
Quote from: 66michael99 on September 25, 2017, 11:05:58 AM

What do you mean?  "apparently not for everybody"? 

Is it possible that google voice no longer authenticates for Canadian users? Any Canadian users who can speak to this?

SupTeamGuy

For Canadian customers that wants to use Google Voice service, you must generate a gmail account and further get a phone number within the US in order to have a functioning Google Voice service.  You can either reach out to families or friends residing in the US, have them get a gmail account and a phone number then relay all info (email address and password) to you.

Once you have all those information, you can proceed with using an OBi units in Canada.  When all setups are completed, you can make frees calls within the US and Canada.  No monthly or yearly service fees to worry about.

Or, alternative is to looking into using freephoneline.ca or voip.ms.

Best,
SupTeamGuy

66michael99

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I wasn't clear enough.

As a Canadian, I've had Google Voice forever. What I'm asking is, with this new authentication
taking place, I can not for the life of me get Google Voice working again. Or, does it even work
on the Canadian side anymore?

The only thing I haven't tried, and as others have suggested, is to reset my obi 202 or to delete it, and re-add it.
I hesitate because I do not want to screw with my primary provider Anveo - even with the backups I have.

Suggestions? Perhaps from fellow Canadians?

I know SteveinWA had a great little piece on removing/deleting it and so on. Now I can't find it.

BTW, the search function on here is not optimum.

SteveInWA

Quote from: 66michael99 on September 26, 2017, 11:09:36 PM

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I wasn't clear enough.

As a Canadian, I've had Google Voice forever. What I'm asking is, with this new authentication
taking place, I can not for the life of me get Google Voice working again. Or, does it even work
on the Canadian side anymore?

The only thing I haven't tried, and as others have suggested, is to reset my obi 202 or to delete it, and re-add it.
I hesitate because I do not want to screw with my primary provider Anveo - even with the backups I have.

Suggestions? Perhaps from fellow Canadians?

I know SteveinWA had a great little piece on removing/deleting it and so on. Now I can't find it.

BTW, the search function on here is not optimum.

I'm not a Canadian, but I do love visiting your beautiful country; does that qualify me?   :D

I haven't read or heard anything to suggest that Google Chat/XMPP is being geofenced outside the US.

You are posting a completely unrelated problem to the one this discussion thread addresses (a specific software issue that Google fixed).

Nonetheless, since you're here, I won't bully you to start your own thread.  The first thing I'd try, instead of blowing away your entire OBi configuration, would be to:

• Open a private or incognito browsing session (Ctrl-Shift-P for MSIE and Firefox, or Ctrl-Shift-N for Google Chrome Browser).  Sign into only the one Google/Gmail/GV account that holds the number.  Confirm that you do, in fact, see your GV number (I assume you have one, and you're not just using this for outbound calls).  If you believe you have a working inbound number, but you don't see it, stop here and reply.
  • Open another browser tab in that same window (Ctrl-T), leaving the first tab signed into that Google account.
  • Sign into your OBiTALK web portal page.  Click on your OBi device.  Look at the list of Service Providers and find the one assigned to Google Voice.  Click the trash can with the red X on it, to the right of that row, to delete just that SPx configuration.  Wait a few minutes for it to push the change to your OBi and perform a remote reboot.
  • Click the SPx and then follow the guided steps to use it with Google Voice.  It should get to a step where it asks your permission to use the service on your Google account.  Make sure it is displaying the correct account, which is the one displayed in the other browser tab.
  • Give it a few minutes again, and then test it to see if it can both make and receive calls.

66michael99

Yes, you are OF COURSE "allowed" to respond...

Anyway, I'm fairly tech savvy, and am able to follow directions.

(BTW, I have upgraded to 5695)

As I read yours, I kept on confirming that, yes, this is exactly
what I've been doing to get the obi 202 going. However, one thing,
after deleting/clearing the SP2 where Google Voice sits, I never reboot.

I'm wondering if that might be it...hmmm...

Will confirm once I get home...

66michael99

So, i just tried once more to get Google Voice going on obi 202 as per your super easy instructions.

1) During the process I'm seeing "Configuring"
2) after some time (5 minutes or so) I get "Service not Configured"

I'm wondering whether "obitalk provisioning" and "ITSP Provisioning" needs tweaking (enabling/disabling) and whether "obitalk service" needs anything?

Thx...

SteveInWA

If you previously disabled OBiTALK provisioning, that could be the issue, but I doubt it.  Another possibility might be if your Anveo configuration somehow locked down something, or changed something, that is interfering with Google Voice setup.

At this point, I'm going to recommend that you log into the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to completely delete your OBi off of your portal page.  Wait a few minutes while the LEDs blink and the device resets.  Then, unplug all the cords from the OBi to power it down.  Plug in the phone and power cords, not the Ethernet cable.  After it boots up, pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults. 

Meanwhile, open open an "incognito" or "private browsing" session on your browser (Ctrl-Shift-N for Google Chrome Browser, or Ctrl-Shift-P for Firefox or MSIE).  Log into only the one Google account that you're using with your OBi, and no others.  Press Ctrl-T to open another tab in that private window, and log back into the OBiTALK portal.

After the 202 chews on that factory restore for a good long time and finishes rebooting, then use the **5 procedure to add it back to your portal page, then set up Google Voice and see what happens (do this before attempting to set up Anveo again).  Don't make any manual or expert mode changes.

66michael99

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 27, 2017, 02:33:20 PM
If you previously disabled OBiTALK provisioning, that could be the issue, but I doubt it.  Another possibility might be if your Anveo configuration somehow locked down something, or changed something, that is interfering with Google Voice setup.

At this point, I'm going to recommend that you log into the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to completely delete your OBi off of your portal page.  Wait a few minutes while the LEDs blink and the device resets.  Then, unplug all the cords from the OBi to power it down.  Plug in the phone and power cords, not the Ethernet cable.  After it boots up, pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults. 

Meanwhile, open open an "incognito" or "private browsing" session on your browser (Ctrl-Shift-N for Google Chrome Browser, or Ctrl-Shift-P for Firefox or MSIE).  Log into only the one Google account that you're using with your OBi, and no others.  Press Ctrl-T to open another tab in that private window, and log back into the OBiTALK portal.

After the 202 chews on that factory restore for a good long time and finishes rebooting, then use the **5 procedure to add it back to your portal page, then set up Google Voice and see what happens (do this before attempting to set up Anveo again).  Don't make any manual or expert mode changes.

Agreed.

It "could be" this or that, but at some point a good purging is needed. Will report back once I add obi back.

Thx...

66michael99

SteveInWA,

As you'd suggested, I reset the OBI202. However, being the stubborn sort (terribly), I didn't quite follow your instructions "completely". I'd installed Anveo 1st and then GV in SP1 AND SP2 respectively. Otherwise, I followed you perfectly. Thanks a bunch, and God Bless...

To others, I can't stress this enough, READ INSTRUCTIONS and thank, profusely, the Pros who make our OBI lives palatable.

Thank you!
Michael

SteveInWA