News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Trusted Callers and Circle of Trust

Started by RonR, April 23, 2012, 12:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Two highly misunderstood features in the OBiTALK Web Portal are Trusted Callers and Circle of Trust.

Trusted Callers

Trusted Callers allows incoming calls on the SP1 Service, SP2 Service, or LINE Port from selected CallerIDs to be routed to the OBi's Auto Attendant instead of its PHONE Port.  The Trusted Callers list is simply used to generate InboundCallRoute rules in the OBi.

For example, if three CallerIDs (12135551212, 140755551212, and 16815551212) are listed as Trusted Callers, the following will be set in the OBi:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {(12135551212|140755551212|16815551212):aa},{ph}
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {(12135551212|140755551212|16815551212):aa},{ph}
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {(12135551212|140755551212|16815551212):aa},{ph}

In most cases, the Phone Number entered in the Trusted Caller list should be the full telephone number as displayed in the OBi's Call History and the Match checkbox should be checked.

Do not add OBiTALK numbers to the Trusted Callers list.

Circle of Trust

Circle of Trust allows callers from OBiON Apps and other OBi's to make outgoing calls through an OBi's PrimaryLine (single-stage dialing) or its Auto Attendant (two-stage dialing).  Each OBiTALK Web Portal account has a Circle of Trust associated with it.  One OBiON App and all OBi's added to your account as Endpoints are automatically added to your Circle of Trust, even though they are not displayed as such.  Other OBiON Apps and OBi's can only be added to your Circle of Trust using the Request and Invitation process.  The OBiTALK numbers of all OBiON Apps and OBi's in your Circle of Trust are simply used to generate OBiTALK Service InboundCallRoute rules.

For example, if there are three OBiTALK numbers (290123456, 200123456, and 300123456) in your Circle of Trust, the following will be set in the OBi:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:

{(290123456|200123456|300123456)>(xx.):pli},{(290123456|200123456|300123456):aa},{ph}

where pli is the OBi's PrimaryLine name (sp1, sp2, or li).

The InboundCallRoute rules generated by the OBiTALK Web Portal for Circle of Trust have some limitations and shortcomings:

1. When single-stage dialing is used, the called number is not processed though the OBi's PrimaryLine DigitMap.  As a result, no validation is done and expected transformations do not occur.  The rules should instead be:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:

{(290123456|200123456|300123456)>(Mpli):pli},{(290123456|200123456|300123456):aa},{ph}

where pli is the OBi's PrimaryLine name (sp1, sp2, or li).

2. Single-stage dialing is limited to using the OBi's PrimaryLine.  Service Route Access Codes (**1, **2, etc.) are not supported.

These limitations and shortcomings do not exist if the configuration described in Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk is used instead of Circle of Trust.

Lostdog

Hi RonR,

I came to your post because I didn't understand what a "Circle of Trust" was, nor a "Trusted Caller".   Now, I do appreciate your lengthy effort to elucidate these topics. 

However, your explanation is so jargon heavy and technical that I found it utterly incomprehensible, even after reading it three times.  Please consider dumbing it way, way down for those of us who are totally new to voip in general and the Obi service in particular.

From doing some experiments, I think I now understand what will happen if I add a phone number to the "Trusted Caller" list.  When a Trusted Caller dials my home number, an auto-attendant will greet them with three options.

1. Continue with the phone call as usual.
2. Make a new call
3. Enter a callback number

The point of this seems to be to allow the Trusted Caller the choice of making cheap or free phonecalls from my Obi using the callback feature, which is well explained here: http://www.obihai.com/cbtutorial.html

But I'm at a loss as to what the "Circle of Trust" is for.  I've read that a member of my Circle of Trust will "have the ability" to use my Obi to make phone calls.  HOW?  Isn't that what the Trusted Caller feature is for?  And why would I want to join someone else's Circle of Trust, since I already have my own Obi?

Sincerely,

Lostdog

lhm.

Ron R, unfortunately has left the building.

Ostracus

QuoteAnd why would I want to join someone else's Circle of Trust, since I already have my own Obi?

Their Obi could be in another country for example.

Pratik

Let me explain Trusted Callers.... I have set up my google voice number on my home OBI phone device which I am using to make calls in USA (Free) and International (1 Cent per Minute)

Now I am using following three numbers to explain my experiment...
1) HomeNo (Google voice number connected to Home OBI Device with cheap international call rate)
2) MobileNo (My USA mobile number)
3) FriendNo (My friend living in USA having USA number)

Adding my MobileNo in trusted callers of obi?
Go to Trusted Callers setting on obitalk.com account --> entering my name in Name --> adding my Mobile number in Phone Number (make sure use country code before number, for USA 1 followed by Mobile number) ---> check Match --> Done

Trusted Callers Experiment#1:
Lets assume, I am out of home in USA and I don't have International calling in my Mobile Phone, but I can make international call through my HomeNo because my MobileNo is already in trusted callers list.
Step 1: Call your HomeNo from your mobile
Step 2: Call will go in OBi Attendant with 3 options... (1 to continue calling my home number) (2 to call another number through HomeNo) (3 to leave Callback number)
Step 3: Choose option 2 and enter international number you want to call followed by #
Step 4: International call will go and receiver will see my Google voice home number on his screen

Trusted Callers Experiment#2:
Lets assume, My friend want to make international call but he don't have International calling in his Mobile Phone.
Step 1: Call your HomeNo from your mobile not your friend mobile
Step 2: Call will go in OBi Attendant with 3 options... (1 to continue calling my home number) (2 to call another number through HomeNo) (3 to leave Callback number)
Step 3: Choose option 3 and enter your friend number followed by #... Call will end
Step 4: Your friend will receive a call from your HomeNo and OBi Attendant will give 3 options.... (1 to continue calling my home number) (2 to call another number through HomeNo) (3 to leave Callback number)
Step 5: Your friend have to choose option 2 and enter international number he wants to call followed by #
Step 4: International call will go and receiver will see your Google voice home number on his screen.

In Trusted Callers Experiment #2 if you don't want to use callback then you can add your Friend's number in your OBI Trusted Callers and your friend can make calls directly by following Experiment #1.

Shplad

This is still way too complicated for me to understand, though I don't wish to sound ungrateful.

Can someone boil this down to a few sentences?

azrobert

OBi devices have an Auto Attendant (AA) function. When a call is routed to the AA the caller will be given 3 options. Option 1 will ring the phone attached to the OBi phone port. Option 2 will prompt the caller for a number to make a new call using one of the OBi's service providers. Option 3 will prompt for a number used for a callback after the caller hangs up.

Trusted Callers is for inbound calls from a service provider. When a callerid is added to Trusted Callers that caller will be routed to the AA.

Circle of Trust is for calls from another OBi device. These calls are routed over the OBiTalk network. When the 9 digit OBi number of an OBi device is added to Circle of Trust, a call from that device will be routed to the AA.

drgeoff

Quote from: Shplad on June 09, 2019, 10:40:11 AM
This is still way too complicated for me to understand, though I don't wish to sound ungrateful.

Can someone boil this down to a few sentences?
Are you sure you need to understand it?  I mean do you need to use Trusted Callers and Circle of Trust?