News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backing off...............again

Started by spencer, November 03, 2017, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencer

For the second time this week it is down.

drgeoff

This has been discussed ad nauseam in multiple threads on this forum in the last few days and the solution for OBi 2xx and OBi10x2 devices has been posted.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13113.msg84139#msg84139

spencer

drgeoff

Quote from: spencer on November 03, 2017, 03:42:47 PM
Thanks, but I have the obi100.
See the post by Taoman a little further down that  thread.  And/or complain to Obihai in the hope that they see some sense.

Judgeless

I am having the same issue.  I sent Obitalk an email and the solution was to stop using the 110 and buy a new 2 00 series.  That does not seem like a good solution.  I own 5 Obi110's.  I hope I do not need to upgrade my hardware every couple of years. 

BigJim_McD

Just a FYI: >  After a reboot, the OBi100 persistantly
displayed the (Google Voice "Backing off" error).

Google Voice Connected after making the following
DNSServer changes on my OBi100.

I made the changes using "OBi Expert" Mode from the OBi Dashboard
System Management  >  Network Settings > Internet Settings
DNSServer1   209.244.0.3   
DNSServer2   8.8.8.8

209.244.0.3   is Level3 DNS Server
8.8.8.8 is Google DNS Server

I don't know why Google Voice Connects on the OBi100
with DNSServer1   set to IP: 209.244.0.3 {Level3 DNS Server}
and doesn't 'Connect' when DNSServer1 is set to
IP: 8.8.8.8 {Google DNS Server}. 

The OBi100 (and OBi110) are only used for 'Testing' in my
small 'Hobby Lab' and have already repaid their cost many
times over. 

We switched to an OBi202 for Home phone service long ago.
BigJimMcD

Taoman

Quote from: Judgeless on November 04, 2017, 01:28:50 PM
I own 5 Obi110's.

Bummer. For $30 you can get all 5 back up and running with Google Voice. Plus you get incoming CNAM (Caller ID name).

https://simonics.com/services/

drgeoff

Christmas has come early for Bill Simons.  :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: BigJim_McD on November 04, 2017, 01:40:54 PM
Just a FYI: >  After a reboot, the OBi100 persistantly
displayed the (Google Voice "Backing off" error).

Google Voice Connected after making the following
DNSServer changes on my OBi100.

I made the changes using "OBi Expert" Mode from the OBi Dashboard
System Management  >  Network Settings > Internet Settings
DNSServer1   209.244.0.3  
DNSServer2   8.8.8.8

209.244.0.3   is Level3 DNS Server
8.8.8.8 is Google DNS Server

I don't know why Google Voice Connects on the OBi100
with DNSServer1   set to IP: 209.244.0.3 {Level3 DNS Server}
and doesn't 'Connect' when DNSServer1 is set to
IP: 8.8.8.8 {Google DNS Server}.  

The OBi100 (and OBi110) are only used for 'Testing' in my
small 'Hobby Lab' and have already repaid their cost many
times over.  

We switched to an OBi202 for Home phone service long ago.

I already explained to you that this is rubbish.  This is not a DNS issue.  It is a server certificate issue.  No amount of DNS futzing will permanently fix this.

Judgeless

I did get it working used the DNS address 8.26.56.26

I know this is a short term fix.  I am sure it directs to an old google server.

It sounds like the issue is an updated certificate.  It is BS that ObiTalk will not upgrade the firmware to fix this with the new certificate.  It is not like they have to change code.

This seems like a bad business model forcing people to buy new hardware every few years. 

Lavarock7

Quote from: Judgeless on November 04, 2017, 03:34:22 PM

I know this is a short term fix.  I am sure it directs to an old google server.

It sounds like the issue is an updated certificate.  It is BS that ObiTalk will not upgrade the firmware to fix this with the new certificate.  It is not like they have to change code.

This seems like a bad business model forcing people to buy new hardware every few years.  

I'm not sure why you think this is Obi's fault. They had nothing to do with it and their decision to stop updating 100's was made quite a while back.

You can call it a bad decision, but then have to go back to companies like Microsoft who have end-of-life products. Plead with MS to patch Win95 and see what happens.

Yes, you can say they Obi SHOULD fix it, but perhaps they have dumped the code, since they no longer support it. Ford stops making parts, Chevy stops making parts, companies stop updating software. HP stopped supporting MPE (their proprietary mainframe software) and there in nobody left to make changes.

When I worked in the industry, we used the term NOT SUPPORTED to mean, it may still work, but we cannot/willnot spend any time fixing it.

Obi110s are not supported by Obi anymore. There has been a workaround here I think involving using a 3rd party connection.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 04, 2017, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: Judgeless on November 04, 2017, 03:34:22 PM

I know this is a short term fix.  I am sure it directs to an old google server.

It sounds like the issue is an updated certificate.  It is BS that ObiTalk will not upgrade the firmware to fix this with the new certificate.  It is not like they have to change code.

I'm not sure why you think this is Obi's fault. They had nothing to do with it and their decision to stop updating 100's was made quite a while back.

You can call it a bad decision, but then have to go back to companies like Microsoft who have end-of-life products. Plead with MS to patch Winm95 and see what happens.

Yes, you can say they Obi SHOULD fix it, but perhaps they have dumped the code, since they no longer support it. Ford stops making parts, Chevy stops making parts, companies stop updating software. HP stopped supporting MPE (their proprietary mainframe software) and there in nobody left to make changes.

When I worked in the industry, we used the term NOT SUPPORTED to mean, it may still work, but we cannot/willnot spend any time fixing it.

Obi110s are not supported by Obi anymore. There has been a workaround here I think involving using a 3rd party connection.

+1, and it's pretty amusing for someone who's forum nickname is "Judgeless" to be judging Obihai on this.

spencer

Quote from: Taoman on November 04, 2017, 01:43:55 PM
Quote from: Judgeless on November 04, 2017, 01:28:50 PM
I own 5 Obi110's.

Bummer. For $30 you can get all 5 back up and running with Google Voice. Plus you get incoming CNAM (Caller ID name).

https://simonics.com/services/

I signed up yesterday and everything seems to be working good. Since they don't give you step by step instructions, it did take me a little while to find old posts on how to configure the obi. So I'm hopeful this $6 will fix the problem, otherwise I'll have to get the 200 model for $50.
The 40 dollar 100 model worked great for the past 5 years with only a few outages.

drgeoff

Simonics does not give you step by step instructions for configuring an OBi because their gateway can be used with any SIP ATA.  The signup process gives you the 3 necessary bits of info - SIP login, SIP password and server.  You then use those with the Generic Service Provider template on the Dashboard.  (Or pop them into the appropriate places if you configure your device via the local web interface.)

bsdaiwa

I setup Simonics on my 200, maybe this will help others...
Quote from: bsdaiwa on October 30, 2017, 01:16:17 PM
First thanks azrober, I will keep your suggestion in mind if Simonics doesn't work out.

Here is what I setup, if someone sees I need to do something different please let me know.

OBi 200 SP3: Generic Service Provider
Service Provider Proxy Server: gvgw.simonics.com
Service Provider Proxy Server Port: 5060
Outbound Proxy Server: gvgw.simonics.com
Outbound Proxy Server Port: 5060
Username: GVxxxxxxxxxxx
Password: (generated by Simonics)
URI: (left blank)

In addition I followed these instructions:

This post describes how to set up your Obi to take advantage of GVGW server redundancy.Thanks to user CarlM for this write-up!

The starting point for these instructions is GVGW already configured under Service Providers->ITSP Profile X and working.

Obihai Config Instructions

Under Service Providers->ITSP Profile X->SIP:

1. Set all four of the following parameters to gvgw.simonics.com :

ProxyServer (this should have been set already)
RegistrarServer
UserAgentDomain
OutboundProxy

2. Enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy

3. Enable X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix

4. Submit the changes

5. Reboot your Obi

That's it!

Note:
It is neither necessary nor desirable to enable X_SecondaryRegistration. In the case of GVGW, registering with one server registers you with all servers.

Just so it's clear I have an OBiLine attached to the OBi200 that handles the local PSTN line and that is the default line when the receiver is lifted. SP1 has the CallCentric account, SP2 has my wifes GV account and SP3 has my GV account. As of now I have just setup SP3 using Simonics to see how that works, if it does I will setup my wifes account on Simonics.

Anyone see any problems?

Brenda72

Can someone please confirm that this will indeed restore functionality to the Obi100?  To sign up with the $6 Simmons service, I mean

And are we sure ObiHai is not going to patch this in a day or 2? 

SteveInWA

The Simonics GVGW (Google Voice Gateway) is a free service, that was created by Bill Simon.  It translates Google's XMPP protocol to standard SIP protocol, which any ATA, OBi or not, is capable of using.  He charges a one-time fee to cover his costs.

https://simonics.com/gw/

Nobody here on this forum can tell you whether or not Obihai will or will not ever update the 100 series, although they stated pretty firmly that it was at end-of-life more than a year ago.

Brenda72

Quote from: Brenda72 on November 06, 2017, 12:05:14 PM
Can someone please confirm that this will indeed restore functionality to the Obi100?  To sign up with the $6 Simmons service, I mean

Well, I signed up with the Simonics for my Obi110 and it appears to be working like normal.  I just hope ObiHai does not insert another sabotage later down the road to break it again. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: Brenda72 on November 06, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: Brenda72 on November 06, 2017, 12:05:14 PM

Well, I signed up with the Simonics for my Obi110 and it appears to be working like normal.  I just hope ObiHai does not insert another sabotage later down the road to break it again. 

"Sabotage"?  Get real.  Google caused this by changing their server certificates.  Obihai didn't sabotage anything. 

Real problems:  Texas church shootings.  Hurricane-wrecked islands.  Russian meddling in US politics.

First world problem:  the cheap consumer electronics product you bought years ago is well out of warranty and no longer supported.  Amortize the cost of that device over the years since you purchased it, consider that Google Voice is free, and then tell us about your hardship.

Brenda72

Russian meddling in US politics......

LoL.  Liberal detected.