News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What would be a typical usage scenario for a Voice Gateway?

Started by MichiganTelephone, March 16, 2011, 10:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Quote from: randomLettersandNumbers on August 16, 2011, 11:14:16 PM

I created an account with voip.ms.  Default setup. No sub accounts yet.  Haven't been able to plow through the guide.  So, I want to have a personal friends&family line and my wife's business line.  You said that the Obi only has 2 slots for SP1 and SP2.

If I understand this correctly then:  
I create 2 subaccounts.

subaccount one: 13xxxx_home
Subaccount two: 13xxxx_business

You could also set it up this way. You are not obliged to create all sub accts. I understand that you want to handle two incoming calls.

1) Main acct (home) Acct name is what ever voipms gave you = 13xxxx
2) Sub acct (business) Acct name = 13xxxx_business

CallerID Number?  Is that the two DID numbers I would enter from the purchased DID USA numbers?

You only need to purchase one DID. The sub acct is a variation of the main DID number you will be given by voipms. Your voipms billing will relect the activity by main and sub accts. You can port your current number to voipms for $25 if you want to cancell your current service, or you can keep current service and call forward unconditionally to the voipms tel number. When you make outgoing calls you can over ride the voipms CID name and number if you like. Before you decide to port I would suggest to test the service with voipms.

I'm in South Carolina so is picking the Atlanta server the best bet?

Should work that way. You can ping the servers to see which gives the shortest ping times.

If I wanted to add in my cell phone as additional sub account then your saying this wouldn't work right because you have to have a 1:1 ratio with subaccounts to SP1 slots on the OBI?

I'm not certain what you mean by this. How do you want to add your cell phone as a sub acct? Do you want the cell to receive incoming calls? If so then a third sub acct on the voipms portal could be setup. You can handle call forwarding on their portal.

I would like to have the inbound number that rings the "business" line to ring the phone connect to the obi AND ring my wife's cell phone between 9Am-5PM.  Otherwise, inbound will then go to voicemail.

Home phone will just go to voice mail after X amount of rings or whatever.  

Controlling the call handling via schedule requires a real PBX. OBi can not handle that. I don't think voipms can do that either.

Home phone will just go to voice mail after X amount of rings or whatever.  

That can be setup on the voipms portal if you plan to use their voice mail, or you can use voipms to send the call to another service such as your cell phone on busy or no answer if you prefer to use that voice mail service. All that can be setup on the voipms portal.

Have a look at this page. Mango has answered many general questions regarding the service.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=92697&page=5

Since you have opened an account you should know that voipms has a good live chat system. If you have any other questions directly related to their service you may want to ask there. Any OBi related questions regarding dial plans, configuration, etc... are better asked on this forum. Their wiki info on OBi setup may not be as good as the support provided on this forum.

Good luck.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

randomLettersandNumbers

Quote from: QBZappy on August 17, 2011, 05:23:10 AM
You could also set it up this way. You are not obliged to create all sub accts. I understand that you want to handle two incoming calls.

1) Main acct (home) Acct name is what ever voipms gave you = 13xxxx
2) Sub acct (business) Acct name = 13xxxx_business
I added this:
3) Sub acct (cell) Acct name = 13xxxx_cell

Simplified. Restructured it to be like this.

Quote from: QBZappy on August 17, 2011, 05:23:10 AM
You only need to purchase one DID. The sub acct is a variation of the main DID number you will be given by voipms. Your voipms billing will relect the activity by main and sub accts. You can port your current number to voipms for $25 if you want to cancell your current service, or you can keep current service and call forward unconditionally to the voipms tel number. When you make outgoing calls you can over ride the voipms CID name and number if you like. Before you decide to port I would suggest to test the service with voipms.

You mentioned that you only need one DID.  I don't see how that would work if friend get one phone number and my wife gives her seperate business number to other people to call.  Soudns like two DID numbers.

Do you want the cell to receive incoming calls? If so then a third sub acct on the voipms portal could be setup. You can handle call forwarding on their portal.

Yes. I would like the incoming business phone number to rind.  In the rules I suppose after 6 rings, the call forwarding voipms portal would be configured to send the call to the cell phone (2nd sub account).  From other documentation it looks like you can create call groups.  However, I'm not sure it that just rings through one phone to the other or if the call can rind to the two devices at the same time?

With the main account and sub accounts is all this showing up on the obitalk config page for voipms as being one SP1 slot taking up. Meaning that you just have to configure the main voipms account with the obi110 device.  All the othe sub accounts just work interanlly within voipms and when certain rules are met it send the call to the configured SP1 slot?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

QBZappy

Quote from: randomLettersandNumbers on August 17, 2011, 08:08:40 PM
You mentioned that you only need one DID.  I don't see how that would work if friend get one phone number and my wife gives her seperate business number to other people to call.  Soudns like two DID numbers.

I was thinking that you could setup voipms with an IVR (Digital Assistant) where you press 1 goes to main acct , press 2 goes to sub acct, etc...

You could of course pay for another DID number and use it under the same acct and route it to wherever main acct or sub acct you choose.

Yes. I would like the incoming business phone number to rind.  In the rules I suppose after 6 rings, the call forwarding voipms portal would be configured to send the call to the cell phone (2nd sub account).  From other documentation it looks like you can create call groups.  However, I'm not sure it that just rings through one phone to the other or if the call can rind to the two devices at the same time?

From voipms site:
A Ring Group allows an incoming call to be redirected to a designated group of extensions where a member of the group is able to answer.

When you receive a call to a DID routed to a Ring Group, all members of that group will ring at the same time untill one of them answers the call.

You can add various types of members to a ring group:

Main Account
   Sub Accounts
   SIP URI's
   Forwardings

All devices will ring at the same time in a Ring Group.

With the main account and sub accounts is all this showing up on the obitalk config page for voipms as being one SP1 slot taking up. Meaning that you just have to configure the main voipms account with the obi110 device.  All the othe sub accounts just work interanlly within voipms and when certain rules are met it send the call to the configured SP1 slot?

Each main acct and each sub acct will take up one SP slot. If you need more sub accts to ring the OBi your choices are:
Might be able configure voipms through OBi gateways,
Get another OBi
Bypass the OBi completely by using a call forwarding strategy to your cell directly from the voipms portal.

I have not setup anything using the OBi gateways. RonR or others should be able to confirm if it is possible to setup voipms using gateways.

Bonus: Create a new time condition
Voipms can indeed create a rule based on time. You can have calls routed/forwarded to an acct(sub acct)/cell based on the time of day.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

randomLettersandNumbers

I haven't been able to get the call forwarding to work.

sub1 Business
sub2 cellphone.

I made a ring group "Business group" and linked subaccounts 1&2 to it.  I Also configured sub1 Business account to have the "business group" assigned to it.

Now I assume I have to work call forwarding magic rule and choosed the sub account and the input the cellphone number.

When the ring group is used, the phone call goes to the physical phone at the house, at the same, sub account 2 rings the cellphone.  Now it just depends on who answers which device first.  However, when I click on the call forwarding link I don't get a response.  I just have this message "If a Call Forwarding has a CallerID Override and is used within a Ring Group, then it will Override all CallerIDs for all Calls made by that Ring Group. " 

That's as far as I can get.

Now, I set up the obi sp1 and sp2 with the main account and sub1.  Outbound and inbound seems to work fine. 

I was under the impression that you could control the callerID for outbound calls.  Try as I could, I can enter in "ACME Business" as the callerID for the subaccount1 business.    If I leave it blank, and call a phone, then the VOIP.ms server "214 area code" appears.

I went into the obidevice website. Selected the second profile and saw a callerID field there too.  I tried "ACME Business" there too. Rebooted the Obi.  I called from the business phone number and did not get the desired result.

Am I doing this wrong and going to the wrong setting?

Voice Service\SP2 Service \ 
Modify CallerIDName with "Acme Business" and I don't see it posted on the outbound calls.

QBZappy

Did you set your CallerIDName and check mark allow CID spoofing

Voice Services->SP1/2 Service->Calling Features->CallerIDName = ACME Business
Service Providers->ITSP Profile A->SIP->X_SpoofCallerID = checkmarked

randomLettersandNumbers

I set those two options for the SP2 (business line is on that) and checkmared X_spoofCallerID. All settings are done on the "B" profile.

Sometimes the CallerIDName field will remain blank and default checkmark is set after a reboot.  Other times it is successufl with Leaving "ACME Business" in the field.

Maybe it takes time to propogate (I don't think it does since the ATA is supplying the info) but when I call my cell phone the ID is "UNKNOWN". 

Does profile "A" need to have caller ID spoof as well?  Seems unrelated.

Thanks for the help so far.  I have to contact voip.ms about the voicemail.  I created two boxes. One for home and the other for the business.  The directions say use *97 to call the voicemail. I just get the busy signal.

Tried *97 = busy signal.
Tried **1 and **2 after pressing *97 and failed.

QBZappy

Quote from: randomLettersandNumbers on August 19, 2011, 06:03:09 PM
Sometimes the CallerIDName field will remain blank and default checkmark is set after a reboot.  Other times it is successufl with Leaving "ACME Business" in the field.

Maybe it takes time to propogate (I don't think it does since the ATA is supplying the info) but when I call my cell phone the ID is "UNKNOWN".  

CID name should show up after rebooting the OBi and then registering with the voipms service. Note that the CID number is controlled via the voipms portal, if you want to change it from the voipms tel number to something else. If you are configuring the OBi unit locally via its web interface you need to disable.

System Management>Auto Provisioning>OBiTalk Provisioning = "Disabled"

otherwise your local changes will be overridden by the OBitalk Portal settings.

Quote from: randomLettersandNumbers on August 19, 2011, 06:03:09 PM
Does profile "A" need to have caller ID spoof as well?  Seems unrelated.

If the service provider does not spoof the CID it will make no difference.

This should have been posted in another thread. Nothing really to do with voice gateways.

randomLettersandNumbers

Since you were helping me out I figured I'd just keep the information in the same thread. May help somebody else out.

CID spoofing hasn't worked for me so far.  Sub account CID info is left blank.  I've disabled the auto provisioning with the OBI.  However, after continuing to put the ACME Business for the CID name for profile, the name just doesn't stick.

I sent an email to voip.ms about checking voicemail for the two DID's I have.  Voip.ms says to use *97 or *98 however, when that is pressed on the phone device to check VM's I immediately get the busy signal.  I've tried **1 (Profile A) then *97 and get the busy signal.  So, it's not totally clear how I would check the voicemail for both lines.   I would guess you would reach the system, punch in the correct mailbox and pin number but I can't even get that far.

About the only way I reached the voicemail was when I used the time condition for a ring group. Incoming calls to the business line are also forwarded to a cell phone.  When after 6PM, the call actually goes to the voicemail.  During business hours, the call rings both the house phone and the cell.  If no one answers then call ends up hitting the Cell voice mail instead of the voip.ms voicemail box. I thought that was strange as I would of that the voip.ms VM would be hit and not the cell phone VM.

RonR

Quote from: randomLettersandNumbers on August 21, 2011, 08:22:04 PM
I've disabled the auto provisioning with the OBI.  However, after continuing to put the ACME Business for the CID name for profile, the name just doesn't stick.

Are you sure you disabled Auto Provisioning and not Auto Firmware Update.

Voip.ms says to use *97 or *98 however, when that is pressed on the phone device to check VM's I immediately get the busy signal.

You will need to add rules for *97 and/or *98 to the appropriate DigitMap's:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> General -> DigitMap : (*97|*98|...)

kleung

Quote from: RonR on August 21, 2011, 08:45:20 PM
I've disabled the auto provisioning with the OBI.  However, after continuing to put the ACME Business for the CID name for profile, the name just doesn't stick.

Are you sure you disabled Auto Provisioning and not Auto Firmware Update.

Voip.ms says to use *97 or *98 however, when that is pressed on the phone device to check VM's I immediately get the busy signal.

You will need to add rules for *97 and/or *98 to the appropriate DigitMap's:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> General -> DigitMap : (*97|*98|...)

I am in similar situation as the poster. I have Obi100, and install GV on SP1, install VOIP.MS on SP2.
I can't call from my Obi device to *97 to check voip.ms voicemail, I tried *97 and **2*97, only hear busy signal.
I tried what you suggested "add rules for *97 and/or *98 to the appropriate DigitMap's", then I dial *97 to voip.ms VM, but all other calls (toll free and US 10digital calls) are giving busy signal.
I also disable Auto Provision, Auto firmware update too.
I truly hope someone can help fixing this problem.
Thank you.

RonR

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap:

(*97|*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

This should allow dialing: *97, *98, 7/10/11 digits, and 011+

If SP2 is not your PrinaryLine, you will need to dial **2*97 or **2*98.

If SP1 is your PrimaryLine and you'd like *97 and *98 automatically routed to SP2, also set:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<**2>*97|<**2>*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

kleung

Good news, Ron.
Your suggestion to put that (<**2>*97|<**2>*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)    into SP2 digit-map thingy.
Fix my obi and voip.ms voicemail problem.

I set my SP2 as my default line, so I just did one digitmap correction.
VOIP.MS faq and forum should put this (<**2>*97|<**2>*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)   as their sticky.

Thank you for your help. :)

RonR

Quote from: kleung on August 25, 2011, 03:00:32 PM
Your suggestion to put that (<**2>*97|<**2>*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)    into SP2 digit-map thingy.

Actually, the DigitMap for SP2 (ITSP Profile B) should be:

(*97|*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

You should not have the <**2> in front of *97 and *98.

kleung

Quote from: RonR on August 25, 2011, 03:07:13 PM
Quote from: kleung on August 25, 2011, 03:00:32 PM

Actually, the DigitMap for SP2 (ITSP Profile B) should be:

You should not have the <**2> in front of *97 and *98.

You are right. It was my typing mistake here. I input (*97|*98|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1281>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)   to my ITSP Profile B DigitMap.
Kudos to you!

Ostracus

My vote for RonR's solution. It made a complicated problem simple. Course I still have to keep the DID, but it'll make a nice placeholder till I decide to port.

JoeThePlumber

Quote from: murzik on March 16, 2011, 11:26:55 AM
This is very easy. For example, I have 1 SP for incoming through voice mail. SP2 GV for outgoing US and Canada. Than I have few Betamax accounts for different international destinations, outgoing only.
The reason to have few Betamax accounts is because each Betamax company has different rates to different countries.
Because I will never receive any calls through Betamax, I can setup each Betamax account as voice gateway.
Then I will create a rule, if destination for example Russia use VG1(Betamax1), if Germany Vg2 (betamax2), etc. Also I can use voice gateway to call Inum providers or Voxalot  for peering with other sip networks.
Also with gateway you can call another sip device directly.

I've heard that voice gateway only works for providers that allow unregistered calls.  Do those betamax resellers allow unregistered calls.  I am particularly interested in Nonoh, which have 120 free days for call China.

Thanks!

Deepsea

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 17, 2011, 07:40:04 PM
As I say, I'm just trying to understand this.  So just as a test, I tried this (note this is with the beta firmware):

In Voice Gateway1:
Name: Toll Free
AccessNumber: sp2(tf.callwithus.com)

All other settings in VG1 I left at default.  I used sp2 because sp1 is a Google Voice trunk.

Under Physical Interfaces, Phone, in the OutboundCallRoute I added this rule:
{(1800xxxxxxx|1888xxxxxxx|1877xxxxxxx|1866xxxxxxx|1855xxxxxxx|1844xxxxxxx):vg1},

If I call a toll-free number the call does go through and I see this in the call history:

Thanks for the posting. I did exactly the same thing but always got the message "there is no service available to complete your call". What about the credentials of callwithus? Did you put them under VG1?

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Deepsea on June 05, 2012, 06:33:30 PM
Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 17, 2011, 07:40:04 PM
As I say, I'm just trying to understand this.  So just as a test, I tried this (note this is with the beta firmware):

In Voice Gateway1:
Name: Toll Free
AccessNumber: sp2(tf.callwithus.com)

All other settings in VG1 I left at default.  I used sp2 because sp1 is a Google Voice trunk.

Under Physical Interfaces, Phone, in the OutboundCallRoute I added this rule:
{(1800xxxxxxx|1888xxxxxxx|1877xxxxxxx|1866xxxxxxx|1855xxxxxxx|1844xxxxxxx):vg1},

If I call a toll-free number the call does go through and I see this in the call history:

Thanks for the posting. I did exactly the same thing but always got the message "there is no service available to complete your call". What about the credentials of callwithus? Did you put them under VG1?

Deepsea, see my reply in your other thread, but to answer your questions, you don't need credentials to send toll-free calls to tf.callwithus.com (or at least you didn't when I wrote the above post).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Hortoristic

How do you when you pick up phone then dial say our wife calls a person for her nurse activities, make it auto dispaly the correct CID?  Do you have to dial star codes then the number so it knows to display her nurse CID instead of your home CID?

Quote from: wintek on March 16, 2011, 04:30:22 PM
Here is a scenario which I use:

I have an account with Voip.ms where I have three DIDs. One is my home number for family & friends; one is my wife's pseudo business. She's a home health nurse, and one I use for business.  Voip.ms allows you to create sub-accounts with their own long on credentials and also allow you to set the outgoing Caller-ID on each account.  When we call family and friends our home CID is presented. When my wife calls her patients from our home phone the call goes out her CID.  This is important because when patients get her number they call her for every little thing.  So instead of they getting our home number (which they have in the past) they get her CID which can be presented with a distinctive ring and /or redirected to voice mail giving instructions to call the home office or 911 if emergency.  Similar situation on mine.  So being able to select the outgoing gateway allows us to use the home phone for business, but not having to react to incoming business calls.

On Voip.ms sub-accounts you can also track calls & expenses of which we write-0ff every year on our income taxes.

jimates

yes. just dialing will use the default trunk. then pressing **2+number uses the other trunk and therefore the corresponding caller id.