News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 -> Obi200 Issues

Started by tazmo8448, January 12, 2018, 08:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazmo8448

Again thanks GPz1100 for taking your time with this.

I am not using the Obi100 btw am using the Obi200

I went into the Obi200 Voice Services config files and found (two instances) of the X_InboundCallRoute; 
added {(<1:>@@.):ph},{ph} both to the SP1 (GV?) AND the ObiTalk parameter to the FRONT of the list that is given.

SP1 Service was showing ph only (default with no other option)

ObiTalk Service was showing {(290062669)>(xx.):SP1},{(290062669):aa},{ph} (default)

noticed after submitting those changes, that it required a Reboot, but doing so reset both to default (even without the default box checked) so I just submitted them WITHOUT a Reboot

I found (on my phone) that whether I have a 1 in front of my area code or not that I still get UNKNOWN CALLER...tried it both ways.

Again I think the new (to me) Obi200 Does Not Support CID natively as the Obi100 did. Have some friends that have Obi200 and ALL their Incoming Calls show UNKNOWN CALLER.... and ALL have different make & model cordless phones, so to my thinking it isn't the phone it's Obi200 not supported non-paid CID services.

tazmo8448

Incoming calls show
UNKNOWN CALLER
1-area code-xxx-xxxx

no matter if the phone itself has an 1 in front of all the numbers stored in the directory
or using those settings we discussed added to the X_InBoundCallRoute

SteveInWA

There is nothing inherent in the OBi 200 product line that would/could cause this.
There is no "money grab" behind this.
There is no special subscription required to display the caller ID number on the phone plugged into the OBi
Obihai has nothing to do with this issue.

Some important things to understand about Google Voice:  

When someone calls your inbound Google Voice phone number, Google Voice then forwards the call somewhere else.  That "somewhere else" is typically a 10-digit, US telephone number, either a land line or mobile phone number.  Google Voice can also forward inbound calls to the old "Google Chat".  Although Google's own Chat service has been discontinued, it still maintains the servers for OBi customer use.  OBi devices are Chat clients.

There are two different pieces to caller ID in the USA:  the caller ID number (CID) and the caller ID name (CNAM). The CID is sent along with the call routing data, so that number can be easily displayed by the receiving party's telco (or, in this case, by Google Chat).  The CNAM is not sent by the calling party's telco.  Instead, the called party's telco has to look up the CID in a database of matching numbers and names, and then send that name to its subscriber's phone.

Google Voice neither feeds its own users' names into the CNAM databases (known as the LIDB), nor does it do CNAM lookups (reason:  there is a cost to using the CNAM LIDB which wouldn't be viable for Google, given the free service).

When you receive an inbound phone call via Google Voice, GV will only send the CID to the phone.  What your phone's caller ID display shows is dependent on your phone.  Some will just display the CID, with a blank CNAM field.  Some will display some other message.

If you use Google Voice's call screening feature, the automated voice will say "call from unknown caller" when that caller's number is not in your Google account's Contacts, or it will speak that contact's name if you have it in your Contacts list (call from "Bob Smith").

There is no difference whatsoever in this behavior between an OBi 100 product and an OBi 200 product.

If you doubt this, then look at your Google Voice call history on a laptop/desktop computer.  You should see the phone number listed for all legitimate (not anonymous/fake/spoofed) inbound calls.  If you have that number in your contacts, it will substitute the contact's name.  Again, the name is not sent to the OBi.

tazmo8448

First of all this post was not created to question the Caller ID NUMBER it was created to ask why ALL calls now show UNKNOWN CALLER

Let's put it this way.... all calls that came in (using GV) with the older, now defunct, Obi100; showed all incoming calls with a name ( CNAM ) or at least an occasional Out Of Area (seen seldom) only once in a blue moon did I ever see UNKNOWN CALLER.

Setting up and installing the replacement Obi200 (purchased because Obi dropped firmware updates) ALL my
incoming calls now show UNKNOWN CALLER along with phone numbers listed as 1-area code- number. i don't have a problem with it showing numbers this way, but I would like for the phone to somehow recognize the name of the number used, like it use to do with the older 100 series.
GV DOES show names in it's history; it shows names that I use regularly...the phone I use with GV always showed the names stored in the saved directory as the person or business calling...not now.

I have several friends that have the 200 and all of their incoming calls show Unknown Caller....each one are using different phone makes and models from brand new out of the box to several years old. It's not the phone.

My big question is (and will remain til answered) Why does this happen when it did not with the older version 100 series?
Why didn't Obihan just update the firmware used by Google so people could continue to use the 100?
After having to purchase another modem because of this why doesn't it work as well?
Why am I seeing CID touted as an 'Obi Extra' that requires a paid service for Obi200 users?

We all know the answer...to generate more cash flow... there's no money in just creating an releasing new firmware, to stay up to date. So make Obi100 users buy another modem, then offer paid services to do the same thing it use to do for free. It's a business model used globally....when you're not selling any more make it to where they have to buy the new an improved model...then charge for the service that use to come with it...and shame on Google for going along with it.

Back to the question....... Obi100->Obi200 why the differences....and please don't try an sell the idea that it's 'better'

Taoman

Google Voice has never supported CNAM. If you disagree, please show me a web page supporting your contention. I double-dog dare ya.

Try changing the following setting from the default and see if it makes any difference:

Physical Interfaces-->Phone 1-->Port Settings-->CidNoNameFormat

tazmo8448

That's real cute SteveInWA ...
and that may earn you some brownie points from whoever it is you're trying to impress.

Sorry to see something that is a genuine issue being tossed off by a shill.

tazmo8448

@ Taoman
as a matter of fact I did try that setting... tried all three listed in the drop down:
Show Code O (default)
Show Blank
Show Caller Number

I would change each setting>submit then call the Obi/GV phone using my cell, during the course of the day I would get calls from friends and businesses randomly and no matter the settings all would report unknown caller

My main thrust about this whole thing is changing from the 100 series to the 200 series I've somehow lost caller names being generated or triggered.
As stated I had the 100 series up an running for at least 4 an a half yrs and never had an issue with it showing who was calling but changing over to the 200 it has lost that function.

GPz1100

If you're getting a number on the phone's display then the obi box is doing what it's supposed to - passing on the CID information to the connected device.  The only [potentially useful] thing that obiextras does is match up the number to your contacts.  If there's a match it displays the contact name for CNAM.

If your phone is not showing the correct information then something is wrong with the phone device.  

What happens if you try adding one of these unknown numbers as a new contact with some bogus name... say test_contact.  Call your gv number again, what does the phone show?

I suppose you can also factory reset the obi box and try setting it up from scratch.

Personally, with respect to CNAM CID, we proxy it through call centric's free DID which provide CNAM lookup so we get caller id information for any caller.

Edit:  Maybe the obi100 did provide the cnam obiextras feature for free.  The 200 does not.

tazmo8448

thanks GPz100...I kinda came to that conclusion too... that the 200 just doesn't offer the same functions... although on it's web page it does specifically say +CID Name & Number (wanted to make sure before I said anything)
here is that link https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200 it shows about half way down the page...

Key Features of the OBi200 VoIP Telephone Adapter

Robust Telephony Features:
Caller ID – Name & Number
Call Waiting
Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
Speed Dialing of 99 OBi Endpoints or Numbers
Three Way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
Hook Flash Event Signaling
Call Forward - Unconditional
Call Forward on Busy
Call Forward on No Answer
Call Transfer
Anonymous Call
Block Anonymous Call
Do Not Disturb
Call Return
Repeat Dialing
Caller ID Pass-Thru

I see where you say you use Centric's free DID.. could you be kind enough to post a link so I can look at it? it looks like in order to see who's calling I will have to use another parties service.

tazmo8448

Don't think CallCentric would work...looking at their site it seems to be used for CallCentric to CallCentric clients only.
BTW I see where Polycom as of Jan 8th (i believe) has purchased Obihan so who knows what lies ahead.

I've read a lot of posts here starting in Nov thru Dec dealing with former Obi100 users feeling like they're getting hosed because of dropped support for a product that they bought in good faith; and the waters being further roiled by now requiring a monthly/yearly paid subscription to get those same services. If it's not a money grab then I don't know what is I guess. Plus the same forum trolls putting everyone down for even bringing it up or discussing it...like it hurts their feelings..(you'd think they have a vested interest)..not to mention touting buying the 200 that clearly has false advertising...all explained away by the pearls of wisdom that 'obi didn't intend for that to happen' or 'it's not obi's fault'...'it's your phone' my advice is If You Don't Know The Answer Then Stay Out Of It.

I feel that I've been led on.

If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

GPz1100

Callcentric works just fine.  We're using it for inbound calls for the reason I mentioned above and on the previous page.

The only other idea I have for you is to flash the modded firmware to your 1xx unit.  It's on the dslreports site in the voip subforum.

tazmo8448

GPz1100 again thanks for taking your time

drgeoff

Quote from: tazmo8448 on January 13, 2018, 10:20:33 PM
I kinda came to that conclusion too... that the 200 just doesn't offer the same functions... although on it's web page it does specifically say +CID Name & Number (wanted to make sure before I said anything)
here is that link https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200 it shows about half way down the page...

Key Features of the OBi200 VoIP Telephone Adapter

Robust Telephony Features:
Caller ID – Name & Number

The Obi200 DOES forward Caller ID Number and Name to the phone IF AND ONLY IF they are provided by the VoIP service provider.  As explained by SteveInWA, Google Voice does not provide the Name, only the Number.

tazmo8448

One more time folks....I want to know if Obi200 supports CNAM like Obi100

ITS NOT ABOUT NUMBERS .... it's about NAMES...

OBVIOUSLY the 200 does not do this...seems the reading comprehension is off here...the guys that 'patrol' this site seem to read into questions what they want then answer.

Obi100 does...it shows each NAME as they come in Obi200 shows UNKNOWN CALLER each time....period.

Thanks to all for the 'suggestions' an a shout out to GPz1100 for his input as it dwelt on the subject.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tazmo8448 on January 14, 2018, 02:59:26 PM
One more time folks....I want to know if Obi200 supports CNAM like Obi100

One more time... yes, the OBi 200 supports CNAM exactly, precisely, like the OBi 100.  The comment by GPz to the contrary is completely wrong.

As Taoman, DrGeoff and I have repeatedly pointed out, this is functioning properly, and exactly as expected.

drgeoff

Quote from: tazmo8448 on January 13, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
noticed after submitting those changes, that it required a Reboot, but doing so reset both to default (even without the default box checked) so I just submitted them WITHOUT a Reboot
Looks like you have not understood the sticky post. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.0

GPz1100

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 14, 2018, 03:36:34 PM

One more time... yes, the OBi 200 supports CNAM exactly, precisely, like the OBi 100.  The comment by GPz to the contrary is completely wrong.

Which comment is this exactly??

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on January 14, 2018, 04:34:54 PM

This: 

Edit:  Maybe the obi100 did provide the cnam obiextras feature for free.  The 200 does not.

GPz1100

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 14, 2018, 05:00:16 PM
Quote from: GPz1100 on January 14, 2018, 04:34:54 PM

This: 

If my comment is completely wrong, how else do you explain cnam cid on the obi1xx the OP was receiving at no charge?