News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV rings my phone, I answer but sends callers to voicemail most times

Started by saunaman, March 14, 2018, 02:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beech_pilot

Same problem here since last week, pick up phone that is connected to my OBI200 just get silence, meanwhile my cell phone continues to ring and I can answer the call that way.

ynat11

SteveInWA

Quote from: simonmiz on March 18, 2018, 08:19:52 AM
Hey Steve, thank you for alerting Google to this issue. Where in Google forum is your posting? Can you give a little more specific link?

It's clear the issue is between Obi and GV. For now - as a temp solution - I linked my cell phone to the GV number, so it rings on both, and if Obi does not pick up - the cell phone picks up OK.

See:  https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/ouSBboXA1zY/discussion

tpayne03

Just my 2cents:

I do embedded hardware design & firmware, so I pretty much get how these Obi devices are built.

I've been using these devices for a few years for non-enterprises business lines.  Great deal -- pretty much free phone lines using Google Voice with a basic QOS router to manage each MAC address.

And than, BAM -- service is broken.  Not a little broken, but massive breakdown.  Maybe Google decided OBi doesn't get a free pass anymore seeing how they got purchased by Polycom?

I guess you can purchase access to some other providers, but why would you since Google Voice works so well, and is so free?

Right now my OBi isn't receiving any inbound calls correctly with Google Voice at all.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpayne03 on March 20, 2018, 07:48:54 AM
And than, BAM -- service is broken.  Not a little broken, but massive breakdown.  Maybe Google decided OBi doesn't get a free pass anymore seeing how they got purchased by Polycom?

No conspiracy theories, please.  This is a known bug that Google has been made aware of.

I guess you can purchase access to some other providers, but why would you since Google Voice works so well, and is so free?

You answered your own question.  Google Voice is not a free telephone company.  It is an inbound call forwarding and message management system.  VoIP calling via OBi products is using Google's former "Google Chat" service via XMPP, but it is not the primary role of the service.  There is no guaranteed service level.  If your business depends on highly-reliable telephone service, then use a SIP VoIP service provider instead.

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 21, 2018, 08:32:21 AM
Same problem, same solution as I posted above:

You mean "workaround," not "solution."

Solution would be for Google to fix this problem. Any ETA?

SteveInWA

Well, I won't debate semantics.

I can confirm that as of this afternoon, the status is that the problem has been assigned to an engineer.  I don't have any more specifics.  Without knowing the root cause yet, I can't predict how long it will take to restore service.

SteveInWA

I've been working with the GV engineering team this evening.  They've got a handle on what caused it, and it should be working now.

Please feel free to bang on it and let me know.  I don't know if it matters, but it wouldn't hurt to power-cycle your OBis before testing.

magicwine

As of March 22 2018 10:46AM EST -
Is everyone still having this problem, as  I am?
And was the going to voicemail issue fixed as per the update here via GV engineer(s)?

Is anyone else having this additional issue as I am : (and it still happens on most calls, though many times after 10+ minutes on the call)

During an outgoing call I hear redialing tones at some point, as if someone had pressed redial on their phone. My phone was on a table, not held by me, as I use a corded headset. AND at that point and beyond, the caller tells me the volume of my voice has decreased and it's hard to hear me.

Thanks.

Bob

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 21, 2018, 07:09:10 PM
I've been working with the GV engineering team this evening.  They've got a handle on what caused it, and it should be working now.

Please feel free to bang on it and let me know.  I don't know if it matters, but it wouldn't hurt to power-cycle your OBis before testing.

Great news, thanks!

magicwine

Still having all the same problems I mentioned in my post including the redialing sound and lowered volume,  as of March 22 2018 at 4:32 EST.

So I unplugged the power connection, waited 30 seconds, reconnected. After that,
it appears ALL calls are going to voicemail - at least the 4-5 I've gotten since then.

Is anyone seeing this fixed?

Does GV have a setting to turn off voicemail? I can't find it.

Bob

magicwine

PS - I googled how to turn off voicemail, had to go into legacy GV, but my home phone is ringing via Obi 200, and is not a forwarding number..so is there a way to turn off voicemail another way?

tpayne03

Ditto:  we have been forwarding calls to cellphones for a week.  We tried call forwarding through Google Voice, and the calls are going immediately to voicemail.  This is still broken.

drgeoff

Quote from: tpayne03 on March 27, 2018, 08:57:07 AMWe tried call forwarding through Google Voice
There is no such option.  What are you trying to say?

tpayne03

Our Cloud PBX forwards calls -> Google Voice -> Obi @ End Number with Analog Phone.

When Cloud PBX Forwards, Google Voice simply hangs up, as Cloud PBX terminates into Voicemail prompt.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpayne03 on March 28, 2018, 08:30:25 AM
Our Cloud PBX forwards calls -> Google Voice -> Obi @ End Number with Analog Phone.

When Cloud PBX Forwards, Google Voice simply hangs up, as Cloud PBX terminates into Voicemail prompt.

That configuration (PBX forwarding TO a Google Voice number) is not supported.  It's not expected to work.

SteveInWA

Furthermore, the bug that was the subject of this discussion thread was fixed.  Any currently-experienced problems are unrelated to this issue.  Start a new discussion.

SteveInWA

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 28, 2018, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: tpayne03 on March 28, 2018, 08:30:25 AM

That configuration (PBX forwarding TO a Google Voice number) is not supported.  It's not expected to work.

And, this also answers your other post, regarding Grasshopper.  It simply won't work reliably, if at all.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13703.msg87892#msg87892