News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice beta and the future of Obihai support

Started by jdefgts1, April 27, 2018, 06:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdefgts1

When Google announced its voice calling wifi beta test one of the announced limitations was that Obihai devices would not work with wifi calling enabled. It appears that outgoing calls can still be placed through my Obi 200 device. Incoming calls to my Google voice number are not forwarded to the same phone however.

My question is fairly simple. Will Polycom be making any changes to allow the Obi 200 to accept calls made to wifi calling enabled Google voice accounts?

GPz1100

It's not an obi/polycom limitation that's preventing the inbound calls.  The new gv wifi beta uses sip protocol to communicate with the google mothership.  Obi uses xmpp protocol.  While both are used for audio, they are totally different. The issue is, at the moment, sip takes priority over xmpp at google.  It would be up to google to implement a solution which allows forwarding to both (at the same time?).  Obi and other xmpp clients (asterisk/motif), simonics gateway, etc, are at google's mercy for making this work.

Give this a read to learn about sip/xmpp differences - https://www.onsip.com/blog/combining-sip-and-xmpp .

SteveInWA

Quote from: jdefgts1 on April 27, 2018, 06:26:44 AM
When Google announced its voice calling wifi beta test one of the announced limitations was that Obihai devices would not work with wifi calling enabled. It appears that outgoing calls can still be placed through my Obi 200 device. Incoming calls to my Google voice number are not forwarded to the same phone however.

My question is fairly simple. Will Polycom be making any changes to allow the Obi 200 to accept calls made to wifi calling enabled Google voice accounts?

This has already been built into the planned roll-out.  Everything will simply work, seamlessly.  No worries.

drgeoff

Quote from: GPz1100 on April 27, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
It's not an obi/polycom limitation that's preventing the inbound calls.  The new gv wifi beta uses sip protocol to communicate with the google mothership.  Obi uses xmpp protocol.
All OBi devices include SIP so there should be no fundamental problem for OBi devices to work with the "new GV" when the relevant people get around to doing it?

SteveInWA

I'll post more details very soon.  Bottom line, nearly everyone will be very happy with the solution, and no, I am not posting a Trump Tweet.

jdefgts1

@SteveInWa - Thanks for the update. I will be happy when my landline begins to ring again. Glad to hear that someone is working on it.

SteveInWA

I don't know the exact status of Obihai's rollout schedule, but reports are that the firmware update is now being pushed out.  If you have an OBi 200 series product, pick up the attached phone and key in ***6 to see if an update is available.  If so, install it.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 29, 2018, 03:49:15 PM
I don't know the exact status of Obihai's rollout schedule, but reports are that the firmware update is now being pushed out.  If you have an OBi 200 series product, pick up the attached phone and key in ***6 to see if an update is available.  If so, install it.
My 1032 phone says "Software update not available".

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on April 29, 2018, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on April 29, 2018, 03:49:15 PM
My 1032 phone says "Software update not available".
...which is why I mentioned "If you have an OBi 200 series product..."    I know that the ATA firmware is starting to roll out but I have no information as to the rollout schedule for the IP phones.  My "educated guess" is that it will be very soon, since I'm running private beta versions of it on my IP phones (1032 and 2182).  It's a bit buggy, but almost there.

SteveInWA

FYI:  the roll-out to all current OBiTALK devices began late last week.  As typical for large-scale deployments, this is being staged, so that every device doesn't update at once, overwhelming the system.

At some point, your device will receive the new firmware, and your Google Voice configuration will be converted to the new VoIP platform.

No, I have no idea of the timeline, sorry.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 06, 2018, 09:30:03 PM
As typical for large-scale deployments, this is being staged, so that every device doesn't update at once, overwhelming the system.
Actually, in todays devops environments (with various auto-scaling capability of resources), typically the more important reason to not update everything at once is to evaluate the impact(s) using the approach of canary testing (sometimes known as soak tests).  Start small, evaluate the impacts, if bad, stop (roll back or roll forward to a revised fix as appropriate), if good, roll out to a bigger customer base, repeat in various percentages, and only then release the hounds.  In any change there will be random failures ("stuff" happens), but one prefers to understand the failures when they are impacting fewer users.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on May 07, 2018, 09:07:16 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 06, 2018, 09:30:03 PM
As typical for large-scale deployments, this is being staged, so that every device doesn't update at once, overwhelming the system.
Actually, in todays devops environments (with various auto-scaling capability of resources), typically the more important reason to not update everything at once is to evaluate the impact(s) using the approach of canary testing (sometimes known as soak tests).  Start small, evaluate the impacts, if bad, stop (roll back or roll forward to a revised fix as appropriate), if good, roll out to a bigger customer base, repeat in various percentages, and only then release the hounds.  In any change there will be random failures ("stuff" happens), but one prefers to understand the failures when they are impacting fewer users.

Excellent points, and yes, that's how Google does their rollouts.  Because they seldom announce or explain what you wrote, users are often perplexed or ask "why haven't I got this new feature yet?"

ynat11

I got the beta update and my obi is showing as an sip device in google voice. The only issue i'm having is when i dial my number for voicemail it asks for the pin not even though I have it set not to. I went to legacy google voice to switch the setting after getting the beta but it didn't work.

dircom

Is screenshot 2 what it used to look like, and #3 what it looks like now?
Mine still looks like screenshot 2

ynat11

Quote from: dircom on May 09, 2018, 09:19:45 AM
Is screenshot 2 what it used to look like, and #3 what it looks like now?
Mine still looks like screenshot 2
No I just clicked on edit to change voicemail preferences. All 3 are current.

Taoman

Quote from: ynat11 on May 09, 2018, 08:02:20 AM
I got the beta update and my obi is showing as an sip device in google voice.

Are you referring to the GV app WiFi beta (that you had to sign up for) or the updated firmware for your OBi device?

ynat11

Quote from: Taoman on May 09, 2018, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: ynat11 on May 09, 2018, 08:02:20 AM
I got the beta update and my obi is showing as an sip device in google voice.

Are you referring to the GV app WiFi beta (that you had to sign up for) or the updated firmware for your OBi device?
Firmware on obi.

Taoman

Quote from: ynat11 on May 09, 2018, 09:48:59 AM
Firmware on obi.

So does that mean you didn't sign up for the GV app WiFi beta which is what this thread is about?

The updated firmware your OBi received is not beta firmware.

ynat11

Quote from: Taoman on May 09, 2018, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: ynat11 on May 09, 2018, 09:48:59 AM
Firmware on obi.

So does that mean you didn't sign up for the GV app WiFi beta which is what this thread is about?

The updated firmware your OBi received is not beta firmware.

I have the google voice beta also. I think the obi update was to go on that voip google voice platform.

Taoman

Quote from: ynat11 on May 09, 2018, 09:56:49 AM

I have the google voice beta also. I think the obi update was to go on that voip google voice platform.

Thanks. I don't have the GV beta. My screen doesn't look like the first image you posted. I believe that's because I'm not in the beta.
My screens do look like your last 2 screens.