News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFC3261

Quote from: LTN1 on May 07, 2018, 09:34:49 AM
I'm not in any GV beta program.
In many ways, if you are using any (especially free) cloud services, you *are* in their beta program.  It is called CI/CD.  They control the transmission.  They control the horizontal.  They control the vertical.

Taoman

Is it my imagination or has call quality improved when using SIP with Google Voice?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on May 07, 2018, 12:55:23 PM
Is it my imagination or has call quality improved when using SIP with Google Voice?

It is not your imagination.  There are fewer hops back and forth between the legacy PSTN and the pure VoIP networks.

Also note:  if both ends of the call are pure VoIP, not going through the PSTN, and both endpoints support it, then the calls will be in wideband audio (Opus CODEC), with superb call quality.  OBiTALK IP phones support Opus; OBiTALK ATAs do not, as of this posting date.

Examples, assuming both endpoints have OBiTALK IP phones:

You both have Google Voice numbers.  The call will be in HD.

You both have Callcentric accounts, and you call using their 1777xxxxxxx on-network numbers.  The call will be in HD.

You and your called party both have SIP ITSPs that support Opus, and they have some sort of peering relationship.  The call will be in HD.

The long-term, blue sky scenario:  a mobile carrier peers with Google Voice, and there is some way to transcode or otherwise magically support the different CODECs used by the mobile carriers, then the call will be in HD.  One hurdle at this time, is that fixed VoIP devices typically support Opus, whereas the mobile carriers are using G.722.2 AMR-WB CODEC.

chilirock

What if anything needs to be done to trigger the firmware update? I had previously disabled firmware updates on my Obi200 after manually updating to v5804. After reading the changes here that GV is making to VOIP, I re-enabled "Auto Firmware Update" and "ObiTalk Provisioning" and set method to "Periodic" for both. Note, I still have ITSP Provisioning set to "Disabled". Not sure if that needs to be enabled.

After applying the setting changes, the device rebooted and the firmware was updated, but it went backwards from v5804 to v5757EX. Can someone help me understand why it would have gone backwards? Also, in the GV migration, which comes first, the firmware update or the GV change to Legacy Chat setting?

Thanks in advance for your help

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 02:58:32 PM
Also note:  if both ends of the call are pure VoIP, not going through the PSTN, and both endpoints support it, then the calls will be in wideband audio (Opus CODEC), with superb call quality.

Examples, assuming both endpoints have OBiTALK IP phones: ...

Since this thread is about the Obi 2xx and not the IP phones, I am curious whether the Obi 2xx are getting the Opus codec or will continue to have the limited list in the data sheet (http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi202DS.pdf) - G.711u/a, G.726, G.729a, and iLBC (which was basically obsolete right out of the gate and is superseded by Opus).

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on May 08, 2018, 07:32:03 AM
What if anything needs to be done to trigger the firmware update? I had previously disabled firmware updates on my Obi200 after manually updating to v5804. After reading the changes here that GV is making to VOIP, I re-enabled "Auto Firmware Update" and "ObiTalk Provisioning" and set method to "Periodic" for both. Note, I still have ITSP Provisioning set to "Disabled". Not sure if that needs to be enabled.

After applying the setting changes, the device rebooted and the firmware was updated, but it went backwards from v5804 to v5757EX. Can someone help me understand why it would have gone backwards? Also, in the GV migration, which comes first, the firmware update or the GV change to Legacy Chat setting?

Thanks in advance for your help

I have seen the "automatic firmware DOWNgrade" behavior before.   >:(  I can only guess at their bizarre firmware update rules.  I suspect that certain major builds are pushed automatically, vs. some of the builds with relatively insignificant changes (only impacting one function used by some service provider) are not flagged for auto-update.

In any case, your device should receive the new Google Voice firmware soon -- there isn't any way to trigger it manually.  I'd suggest setting OBiTALK provisioning and auto firmware update to "periodically".

The first time a device with the new firmware connects to Google's network, it will automatically upgrade the service on the Google Voice side.

SteveInWA

Quote from: billsimon on May 08, 2018, 08:18:13 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 02:58:32 PM
Also note:  if both ends of the call are pure VoIP, not going through the PSTN, and both endpoints support it, then the calls will be in wideband audio (Opus CODEC), with superb call quality.

Examples, assuming both endpoints have OBiTALK IP phones: ...

Since this thread is about the Obi 2xx and not the IP phones, I am curious whether the Obi 2xx are getting the Opus codec or will continue to have the limited list in the data sheet (http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi202DS.pdf) - G.711u/a, G.726, G.729a, and iLBC (which was basically obsolete right out of the gate and is superseded by Opus).

Bill, see:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13846.0

Bottom line, I don't know if they will add Opus to the ATAs or not, but it doesn't do much for analog telephone endpoints.

nsne

What if anything needs to be done to trigger the firmware update?

I just did a manual reboot. I was on the earlier version of the GV firmware, but clicking the "Reboot" button on the LAN GUI prompted an update to the newest firmware.

Played around with the console to see what, if anything, changed, and I noticed that "Google Voice" is (now?) an option for the SP3 and SP4 slots. Are we able to associate the Obi200 with more than two GV accounts? IIRC, there was a restriction in the past, but it's been a long, long time since I set up my Obi.

SteveInWA

Quote from: nsne on May 08, 2018, 10:27:19 AM
What if anything needs to be done to trigger the firmware update?

I just did a manual reboot. I was on the earlier version of the GV firmware, but clicking the "Reboot" button on the LAN GUI prompted an update to the newest firmware.

Played around with the console to see what, if anything, changed, and I noticed that "Google Voice" is (now?) an option for the SP3 and SP4 slots. Are we able to associate the Obi200 with more than two GV accounts? IIRC, there was a restriction in the past, but it's been a long, long time since I set up my Obi.

The OBi 200 has always supported four separate Google Voice SPx configurations.  You're probably confused by the fact that the 100 series only had two SPs.

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 08, 2018, 09:56:32 AM
Bill, see:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13846.0

Bottom line, I don't know if they will add Opus to the ATAs or not, but it doesn't do much for analog telephone endpoints.

I agree, the wideband aspect of Opus is not useful for analog phones, but Opus does variable sampling and bitrates.

Anyway, what I mostly wanted to know was whether it was being added as part of this particular firmware rollout, which I now know. Thanks.

chilirock

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 08, 2018, 09:54:30 AM
In any case, your device should receive the new Google Voice firmware soon -- there isn't any way to trigger it manually.  I'd suggest setting OBiTALK provisioning and auto firmware update to "periodically".

The first time a device with the new firmware connects to Google's network, it will automatically upgrade the service on the Google Voice side.

Steve, thanks for the reply. Based on your response, it sounds like the Obi firmware comes first, then the Google Voice>Settings change follow after the Obi connects to GV with the new firmware. While I'm waiting for the update to be pushed, I think I'll try removing the device from the ObiTalk portal, factory resetting, then re-adding the device to the portal to see if that jump starts things. I know in the past this process has triggered the latest firmware to be downloaded.

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on May 08, 2018, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 08, 2018, 09:54:30 AM
In any case, your device should receive the new Google Voice firmware soon -- there isn't any way to trigger it manually.  I'd suggest setting OBiTALK provisioning and auto firmware update to "periodically".

Steve, thanks for the reply. Based on your response, it sounds like the Obi firmware comes first, then the Google Voice>Settings change follow after the Obi connects to GV with the new firmware. While I'm waiting for the update to be pushed, I think I'll try removing the device from the ObiTalk portal, factory resetting, then re-adding the device to the portal to see if that jump starts things. I know in the past this process has triggered the latest firmware to be downloaded.

I'm unclear why you'd do that.  The process is automated.  Your OBiTALK configuration will get updated and the new firmware will be pushed to your device.  Manually removing and re-adding the device, before your device has been converted, is not likely to work.

I understand you are eager to try it out, but it would be best to wait.  There are a couple of bugs being worked on now, and there is nothing to be gained by rushing it.  I'm told that the deployment is expected be completed by Friday EOD, but as always, subject to change.

YaddaYaddaObi

Received the new firmware this week. Now, when I receive a call, it rings once and sends the caller to voice mail. Second issue is that when I call people now it shows me as an unknown caller.

Update: Okay, so I removed the google voice account, factory reset my ObiHai 202 and setup the unit fresh and now everything is working correctly again.

chilirock

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 08, 2018, 04:46:11 PM
I'm unclear why you'd do that.  The process is automated.  Your OBiTALK configuration will get updated and the new firmware will be pushed to your device.  Manually removing and re-adding the device, before your device has been converted, is not likely to work.

Hi Steve, I removed the device, factory reset it, and added it back to the dashboard after all. I wanted to make sure that there weren't any lingering changes that I had made on the local UI settings that may prevent the firmware update from being pushed down. After completing the above steps, the firmware remained at v5757EX. I did notice that the FirmwareURL under the Auto Firmware Update section was updated from IF ( $FWV <3.2.1.5757EX...) to IF ( $FWV < 3.2.2.5853...). Perhaps that will trigger an update the next time the Obi checks. For now, I'll hang tight and let the kinks get worked out.

Webslinger

Is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) being pushed to all OBi2xx ATA owners who have Obitalk Service, Obitalk Provisioning, and Auto Firmware Update enabled? Or is it only being sent to certain regions at a time?

I'm seeing a couple of instances where it's not being pushed.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Webslinger on May 11, 2018, 10:23:01 AM
Is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) being pushed to all OBi2xx ATA owners who have Obitalk Service, Obitalk Provisioning, and Auto Firmware Update enabled? Or is it only being sent to certain regions at a time?

I'm seeing a couple of instances where it's not being pushed.

It's being pushed to all devices.  It's a phased roll-out.  I was told it would be completed by today or tomorrow.  If yours isn't upgraded by Monday, you may want to consider deleting it off of your OBiTALK dashboard, factory-restoring it to defaults, and then re-adding it.

Webslinger

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 11, 2018, 02:28:27 PM

It's being pushed to all devices.  It's a phased roll-out.  I was told it would be completed by today or tomorrow.  If yours isn't upgraded by Monday, you may want to consider deleting it off of your OBiTALK dashboard, factory-restoring it to defaults, and then re-adding it.

Thanks

ma678

Will Obi push out 3.2.2 B5859EX regardless 200/202 is under or out of warranty? Which fw should I stay before receiving OTA? I am currently on 3.2.1 B5757EX.

Thanks.

restamp

FWIW, my 202 is out of warranty and was running 5757EX.  Yesterday, at SteveofWA's urging, I saved and imported my configuration to OBiTalk, set the 202 to update on boot, and booted it.  It came up on 5859EX after the boot, and even retained the passwords across the upgrade.  The GV line and one SIP service came up immediately.  It took a bit of finagling to get the other two services going, one simple, the other atypical setup was more involved.  On the whole, I'd say the OBi programmers did a good job of engineering this major upgrade.

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on May 09, 2018, 07:35:37 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 08, 2018, 04:46:11 PM
I'm unclear why you'd do that.  The process is automated.  Your OBiTALK configuration will get updated and the new firmware will be pushed to your device.  Manually removing and re-adding the device, before your device has been converted, is not likely to work.

Hi Steve, I removed the device, factory reset it, and added it back to the dashboard after all. I wanted to make sure that there weren't any lingering changes that I had made on the local UI settings that may prevent the firmware update from being pushed down. After completing the above steps, the firmware remained at v5757EX. I did notice that the FirmwareURL under the Auto Firmware Update section was updated from IF ( $FWV <3.2.1.5757EX...) to IF ( $FWV < 3.2.2.5853...). Perhaps that will trigger an update the next time the Obi checks. For now, I'll hang tight and let the kinks get worked out.

Actually, I re-discovered a self-inflicted bug yesterday, on a friend's 200.  We had previously changed that setting, without really understanding how it works.  Yesterday, his 200 had the orange triangle on the OBiTALK dashboard.  I clicked it, it upgraded, and then presented another orange triangle.  I clicked it, it DOWNgraded, and displayed the triangle again.  What it was doing was alternately doing "upgrades" based on the incorrect syntax of that setting.  Simply blanking out that field and checking the OBiTALK default setting and submitting, fixed it, and it immediately upgraded to the correct build.  So, just erase that field and hopefully, you'll be good to go.