News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpayne03 on May 07, 2018, 09:15:57 PM
Yep... definitely working.  As my Obi is sitting here blinking and is non-functional and forum is lit up with people saying the same thing.  I have $40 of international GVoice credits while I was trying to make a call to China.  My Obi really is toasty now.  You get awfully testy about a $40/box.... what's the deal, take an xanax or something.  

As an embedded engineer, I'm pretty confident most of these problems are very well connected with the Polycom acquisition (which I think, I did mention "out of my ass" a month ago when all these problems started with GVoice).  Now why their boxes can't seem to roll-out a firmware update.  Well that's a f'ing cluster my friend... 

The reality is probably like 0.1% of users "hack" their Obi and somehow aren't accepting automatic updates. The reality is that this is a cluster.

If Steve from WA in a corporate forum is your point person.  That's a f'ing cluster for a company owned by Polycom. Seriously, how many billions is Polycom's market cap?

That's the most absurd, incoherent post so far on this subject.

Sadly, being an "embedded engineer" does nothing for your common sense.

daninwa

Getting back to the original topic, are there any solutions yet
beyond waiting for Polycom/Google to track down and fix the
software issues?

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 07:39:10 PM
You might as well try following the steps I outlined previously on Saturday afternoon to start all over.

I'll try that, thanks. Just to make sure, is that a typo re: the software version? I'm running 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). I'm back to getting "Connect Failed: No Response".

Do I need to downgrade firmware? If so, do I need to disable updates? Thanks for the guidance.

Ohto

For what it's worth, I'll add one more data point saying my Obi200 is completely useless as well.  I'm suddenly getting the "Connect Failed: No Response" for Google Voice's status now.  I've deleted the account/device/younameit several times and started over with no luck.  I'm on the latest firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).  It updated by itself, so I didn't force it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 08, 2018, 02:41:08 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 07:39:10 PM
You might as well try following the steps I outlined previously on Saturday afternoon to start all over.

I'll try that, thanks. Just to make sure, is that a typo re: the software version? I'm running 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). I'm back to getting "Connect Failed: No Response".

Do I need to downgrade firmware? If so, do I need to disable updates? Thanks for the guidance.

No, you do not need to, (and you must not) downgrade your firmware!  It won't work at all.  The build you have is current as of today.  They've been pushing out new builds over the past few days, as previously undiscovered bugs are found and fixed.  So, a) your device and your Google account have been converted to the new VoIP platform, and b) no manual updates are needed to the device firmware.

I would wait until tomorrow and then go through the steps in my post.  There are a lot of Google Voice changes all happening at once, between the new OBiTALK support and the new WiFi calling feature, and it's sort of a moving target.

nonobody

As of midnight this morning not only are all the lines (including GV and normal SIP lines) all disconnected but the time on the Obi is also not updating. It's as if it's completely lost internet, but no firewall is blocking it and restarts don't help.

The offending build is: 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) which must have recently injected itself. Not pleased with this.

Edit: Had to manually put in a static DNS in the Obi and restart, then it picked up the DHCP-provided DNS which it should have picked in the first place.

glenviewjeff

Does anyone currently have an obtalk unit (and/or Obi202 specifically) that is presently functioning with Google Voice?

Thanks,
Jeff

nonobody

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 09, 2018, 07:33:01 AM
Does anyone currently have an obtalk unit (and/or Obi202 specifically) that is presently functioning with Google Voice?

Thanks,
Jeff

Obi200 works currently after the DNS fix above and also re-granted Google external app permissions (though not clear that step is necessary).

glenviewjeff

Quote from: nonobody on May 09, 2018, 08:47:16 AM
Obi200 works currently after the DNS fix above and also re-granted Google external app permissions (though not clear that step is necessary).

Thanks, tried both steps and unplugging/replugging power but no dice. In WAN Settings, I changed DNSServer1 to my router's IP address. I assume that's the only DNS setting?

Thanks,
Jeff

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 09, 2018, 07:33:01 AM

Thanks,
Jeff

Did you, or did you not, follow my set of instructions to completely remove your device off of the portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, delete any app permissions previously granted on your Google account, and then restart the Google Voice configuration?  If not, you are wasting your time.

Yes, tens of thousands of OBiTALK devices have successfully upgraded and are now working with Google Voice, including the four at my house.

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 02:57:56 PM
Did you, or did you not, follow my set of instructions to completely remove your device off of the portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, delete any app permissions previously granted on your Google account, and then restart the Google Voice configuration?  If not, you are wasting your time.

Yes, tens of thousands of OBiTALK devices have successfully upgraded and are now working with Google Voice, including the four at my house.

Thanks for responding Steve. I did follow your steps and thank you for writing them out. I'm glad to hear there are functional devices after the upgrade; someone suggested (I thought it was you) I wait awhile because things are in flux, so I thought this was a widespread outage. That's neat that you have four at your house, what the heck do you do with sixteen lines? You must have a big family :)

So one "app" I didn't remove was Google Voice itself, as I figured you'd have mentioned that explicitly. I did do so later after having followed all of the steps, so maybe this is the problem. Unless I hear otherwise I'll repeat your instructions including removing Google Voice and I'll see what happens.

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 09, 2018, 03:11:21 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 02:57:56 PM

Thanks for responding Steve. I did follow your steps and thank you for writing them out. I'm glad to hear there are functional devices after the upgrade; someone suggested (I thought it was you) I wait awhile because things are in flux, so I thought this was a widespread outage. That's neat that you have four at your house, what the heck do you do with sixteen lines? You must have a big family :)

So one "app" I didn't remove was Google Voice itself, as I figured you'd have mentioned that explicitly. I did do so later after having followed all of the steps, so maybe this is the problem. Unless I hear otherwise I'll repeat your instructions including removing Google Voice and I'll see what happens.

Yes, remove Google Voice.  If you already followed the rest of my instructions, you don't need to do it again.  Just remove the OBiTALK permission from your Google account settings, then delete and re-add the Google Voice SPx on your device.

Ha ha about my devices.  Two are OBi IP phones upstairs and downstairs.  The other two are ATAs, mainly used for testing purposes, and to use with an analog DECT 6.0 cordless phone system.

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 03:32:34 PM
Yes, remove Google Voice.  If you already followed the rest of my instructions, you don't need to do it again.  Just remove the OBiTALK permission from your Google account settings, then delete and re-add the Google Voice SPx on your device.

Ha ha about my devices.  Two are OBi IP phones upstairs and downstairs.  The other two are ATAs, mainly used for testing purposes, and to use with an analog DECT 6.0 cordless phone system.

OK, so I went through your whole process again because I had no other ideas. I'd already removed the Google Voice app (not ObiTALK, was never there) from my Google account app settings. I'm getting "Registration Not Required" again, and can't make calls. Rebooted Obi per your or someone else's suggestion after getting that message and still getting the same message. Can't make calls.

Thoughts?

glenviewjeff

Status changed to "Connect Failed: No Response" Oh and I'm using Google Wifi, which doesn't have a sip alg setting, so I assume that can't be the problem.

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 09, 2018, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 03:32:34 PM

OK, so I went through your whole process again because I had no other ideas. I'd already removed the Google Voice app (not ObiTALK, was never there) from my Google account app settings. I'm getting "Registration Not Required" again, and can't make calls. Rebooted Obi per your or someone else's suggestion after getting that message and still getting the same message. Can't make calls.

Thoughts?

glenviewjeff

Yes, sorry, I didn't notice that very small icon said Obitalk. Either way, we're talking about the same thing. I deleted it later after the first time I followed your instructions, and again when I repeated them earlier today.

One important point: my legacy google voice settings still show "google chat." About ten minutes ago after nothing else was working, I noticed there was a "delete" button by it, so I figured I'd try deleting it and deleting the google voice settings on the device config and re-setting up. Google chat re-appeared.

Any other ideas?

SteveInWA

Your Google Voice / OBiTALK situation is in a messy state of limbo.  It will not work until OBiTALK remotely updates your device, which should happen by the end of this week.  Sorry, there are no other alternatives.

Do NOT try to add, delete, or change any numbers, nor manually change firmware, until after that happens.  You cannot fix this yourself.

glenviewjeff

Ah, hence the "sit tight," whether it was you or someone else. Will do. Any idea if it will suddenly start working or if I'll have to do something special to check?

SteveInWA

Given your mess, it is impossible to know what will happen.  I suggest that you periodically pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the device's firmware build.  When it updates to 5859EX or higher, the device has been upgraded to the new platform and it should work.  If it gets updated to that level, and it doesn't work, then post back here on Friday.

Good luck!

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 06:18:52 PM
Given your mess, it is impossible to know what will happen.  I suggest that you periodically pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the device's firmware build.  When it updates to 5859EX or higher, the device has been upgraded to the new platform and it should work.  If it gets updated to that level, and it doesn't work, then post back here on Friday.

Good luck!

Wait, but I do have that version already. From system status: "SoftwareVersion 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)"