News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Static when switching back back to original caller after call waiting

Started by managerharry, May 15, 2018, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

managerharry

Having some intermittent issues here.  Using Obi202 with Google Voice.  Obi is about 3 years old.  Has most current firmware installed in ObiTalk portal.  Most annoying issue is that sometimes when I'm on a call and have a call waiting if I switch over to the other caller I can talk to them fine but when I switch back to my original caller I get just static and have to hang up.  Also, I've been getting occasional dead air calls where the phone rings and I answer but can't hear the caller nor can they hear me.

I'm not apposed to buying a new Obi202 if it would help but I don't want to spend the money only to find out that the problem still occurs with the new device.

Anyone else having similar issues or have any suggested fixes?

Marc

I experienced the static when switching back to original call after call waiting for the first time yesterday.

I've been using the Obi devices for what seems like more than 10 years now and this is the first time this particular has shown up.  I suspect it has something to do with GV switching from XMPP to SIP.  Other than rebooting the Obi to see if it fixes it and/or removing the GV SP and adding it back, not sure what else to suggest.  Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than I will chime in.

I will note that I DO NOT have the same issues on my callcentric and voip.ms SPs.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

managerharry

Interesting.  For the first time yesterday I also received static when answering 2 incoming calls, without flashing to a call waiting.  I switched to my backup SP2 Phonepower plan and so far *knock on wood* have not had the issue. 

Mango

For anyone still having the problem, check your ATA's Call Status page during a call.  Does the codec change to Opus when the symptoms are observed?

managerharry

I will try and check on that next time it happens.  An update -- I tried switching to SP2 which is configured with PhonePower and the issue still happens so it's not Google Voice specific.

managerharry

It seems to be getting worse and now happens pretty much every time I switch back from call waiting.  Here's a screenshot of the Obi status page while the static is happening:

SteveInWA

To anyone still experiencing the static or distortion/echo under this scenario, please take note the next time this happens:  stay on the call, despite the audio issue, for at least 10-15 seconds.  Does the problem go away by itself?

managerharry

Tested this.  Static persists longer than 10-20 seconds.  I let it go for nearly a minute and it never cleared up.

krowe

Quote from: managerharry on May 15, 2018, 06:55:23 PM
Having some intermittent issues here.  Using Obi202 with Google Voice.  Obi is about 3 years old.  Has most current firmware installed in ObiTalk portal.  Most annoying issue is that sometimes when I'm on a call and have a call waiting if I switch over to the other caller I can talk to them fine but when I switch back to my original caller I get just static and have to hang up.  Also, I've been getting occasional dead air calls where the phone rings and I answer but can't hear the caller nor can they hear me.

I'm not apposed to buying a new Obi202 if it would help but I don't want to spend the money only to find out that the problem still occurs with the new device.

Anyone else having similar issues or have any suggested fixes?

I too am having this problem. The only difference for me is my OBi202 is less than 1 yr old, and the problem happens every time I switch from a call waiting call back to the original call and I can't say that I am getting the dead air calls.

SteveInWA

If you have not already done so, please start a discussion post over on the Google Voice forum for this specific issue.  The link is in my signature line below.  I'm collecting data to try to pin down the root cause.

managerharry

FYI, as I had mentioned earlier I also get this when connected to SP2 on my Obi which is using PhonePower, not GV, so it doesn't seem to be specific to GV.

SteveInWA

Quote from: managerharry on May 22, 2018, 01:18:51 PM
FYI, as I had mentioned earlier I also get this when connected to SP2 on my Obi which is using PhonePower, not GV, so it doesn't seem to be specific to GV.

Well, that's interesting.  Perhaps there's a firmware bug.  Is your device under warranty or under extended/paid support?  If so, open a ticket with Polycom.

zorlac

I just had this static answering an incoming call waited a bit & it never went away.
It's the first time that has happened on an incoming call, up until now it has only happened when trying to put someone on hold momentarily.
I flagged it as a poor quality call with legacy GV.
I called him back & no problems.
Not sure if it's a codec problem but the way it sounds (static) that's a plausible theory.

managerharry

Problem still persists.  It does seem that a quick 10-15 sec switch back from call waiting generally works fine but if I'm on the other line for much more than that I get the dreaded static.

SteveInWA

Hi managerharry:

I'm not entirely sure, because the information I have received is vague, but I believe that a fix to the static issue will be implemented early next week.  Thanks for hanging in there.

managerharry

Problem still persists as of 6/7/18.  Seems to be pretty much any attempt at using call waiting function results in loud static when returning to the original call.  I hope this can be resolved, I've been an Obi customer since the 100 series years ago and I've had remarkably few problems over the years but this is impacting my business and I'm starting to think I may need to find a new VOIP provider and device...

SteveInWA

I've asked Google for a status update.  I wish I had more information to share, but if/when I do, I'll post it.

billsimon

I don't understand why this is perceived to be a Google bug. The Obi 1062 works fine and adjusts to the codec change after a hold/unhold situation. It seems like the Obi 2xx is just sticking with the original codec, resulting in noise. So Obihai should fix it.

Changing codecs on hold/unhold is unusual behavior but it is allowed and the Obi should handle it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: billsimon on June 07, 2018, 04:56:42 PM
I don't understand why this is perceived to be a Google bug. The Obi 1062 works fine and adjusts to the codec change after a hold/unhold situation. It seems like the Obi 2xx is just sticking with the original codec, resulting in noise. So Obihai should fix it.

Changing codecs on hold/unhold is unusual behavior but it is allowed and the Obi should handle it.

...all I can tell you is that the two companies are working on it.