News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV setup with IP phone, Polycom VVX500,Obi202 - caution newbie stupid question

Started by nexus415, May 24, 2018, 09:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus415

I have a Obi202, a GV number and a analog phone. They are presently all connected and working. However I want to remove the analog phone and instead use a Polycom V V X 500 IP phone. The Polycom phone is hardwired into the same network as the Obi202 but they are not directly connected. How do I configure both the Obi 202 and Polycom?

azrobert

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.0

You need to use OBi Expert to make the OBi202 changes.

There was a bug introduced after build 5757, where some devices can't register to an OBi2xx. If your phone won't register, you can circumvent this bug if your phone can call without registration. Make the following changes:

Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_Proxy: Unchecked

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
ph,sp4(OBi200@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)
xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp is the IP address and port of your phone

Edit:
I copied the wrong setting above. It has been corrected.

nexus415

Thanks, still not able to get it to work. I suspect it is in my polycom steup.

A few q's.
1. Where do I find the pppp you reference? It not included with the IP address.
2. When I pick up the polycom receiver, the display reads "SIP:" and will not let me dial a number

Thanks

azrobert

pppp is the listening port on your phone. The default is usually 5060. If you can define multiple accounts on the phone, each will have a different port. That rule is to route inbound calls to your phone, and won't affect outbound. I wouldn't worry about it. You can just skip making that change now.

Use OBi Expert to check if the phone is registered to the OBi202. To enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBi202 then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert.

Click on Status then System Status. Under SP4 Service Status it will show the IP address and port of your phone when registered. If it's not registered you won't see any address. This is the IP address and port (pppp) you need to route inbound calls.

If the phone isn't registered, you either did something wrong or the bug is preventing registration. Can your phone be configured to call without registration?

nexus415

Under status SP4 it states "Registration Not Required"

In the polycom setup I added 127.0.0.1 as the SIP Outbpund Proxy, with 5060 as the port. Is that correct? I now can dial a number. However when I dial I always get a busy tone.

Unrelated, you reference "OBi200" in all instructions for UN and PW. Should I use OBi200 or OBi202 given I have a OBi202?

Lastly "Can your phone be configured to call without registration?" Sorry I do not know what this means.

drgeoff

Quote from: nexus415 on May 25, 2018, 07:10:28 PM
In the polycom setup I added 127.0.0.1 as the SIP Outbpund Proxy, with 5060 as the port. Is that correct? I now can dial a number. However when I dial I always get a busy tone.

Unrelated, you reference "OBi200" in all instructions for UN and PW. Should I use OBi200 or OBi202 given I have a OBi202?
Not correct.  Re-read the instructions.  127.0.0.1 is entered on the OBi in one of its SP slots.  On the Polycom, the SIP Outbound Proxy should be the IP address of the OBi.

"OBi200" is just a string.  You can use more or less any strings provided the UN is the same everywhere and the PW is the same everywhere. UN and PW can be different.

dogwood

I have very similar issue and question.

Gear
OBi202 adapter
VVX 500 with latest firmware
Anveo.com with OBitalk plan

I'm using OBi202 as a proxy.  It's been working great for two lines with a Yealink T21 IP phone.

I purchased a VVX 500 and I can send and receive calls on line 1 but the display shows "Not Registered" errors on both lines.

Line two can only dial outbound.  When I reconnect the Yealink both lines work perfectly again so I'm quite sure it's a VVX 500 configuration issue. 

The challenge is, I've tried the same VVX settings as the Yealink but things don't line up perfectly.  I've tried factory resetting and about 50 different various ways of testing it. 

Has anybody has success with the VVX 500 the way I'm using it?  I'd like to resolve and keep this phone if possible so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dogwood

I tried following the link above but it's for a Cisco phone.  I'm sending this Polycom VVX 500 back.  So sad because the Yealink was super simple to program.  It's just a single web page for the Sip account.  Polycom has you click on 20 items to get it to work, then it won't register through the proxy Obihai.  Additionally, online support is very weak as nobody has responded to my question at all.  I'm buying a Yealink T38G and I expect it to work on the first try, just like the T21 did.

drgeoff

azrobert's instructions are generic and contain nothing specific to a Cisco IP phone.

dogwood

Thanks for the reply.  I was talking about the link in azroberts post which has a complete example.
See:

I do have it working with this setup, Yealink > Obi202 > Anveo.com.  When I try to use the Polycom VVX 500 it actually works for inbound and outbound calls but it won't register.

drgeoff

Quote from: dogwood on September 03, 2018, 02:26:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I was talking about the link in azroberts post which has a complete example.
See:

I do have it working with this setup, Yealink > Obi202 > Anveo.com.  When I try to use the Polycom VVX 500 it actually works for inbound and outbound calls but it won't register.
I repeat.  There is nothing in azrobert's instructions in the linked topic that is specific to a Cisco phone.  Even though "Cisco SPA303" appears in the topic title.

There is already a mention in this thread of the OBi firmware bug which prevents some phones from registering to the 202.  As azrobert also mentioned and you apparently have verified that is not necessarily a show stopper.

dogwood

It seems that you like to argue and correct people.  When you click on the link it takes you to this page.  SOLVED OBI200 and Cisco SPA303.

I never said anything about azrobert and I bet he's a nice and smart guy. 

The SPA303 is a Cisco phone and it apparently works just like the Yealink does. 

I tried the exact same setup from the Cisco SPA303 post and it didn't register.

I'm done with this thread and the snarky replies...

drgeoff

Quote from: dogwood on September 03, 2018, 02:44:34 PM
It seems that you like to argue and correct people.  When you click on the link it takes you to this page.  SOLVED OBI200 and Cisco SPA303.

I never said anything about azrobert and I bet he's a nice and smart guy. 

The SPA303 is a Cisco phone and it apparently works just like the Yealink does. 

I tried the exact same setup from the Cisco SPA303 post and it didn't register.

I'm done with this thread and the snarky replies...
Well if you are unable to read and comprehend replies, you aren't losing anything by being done with this thread.

For the third time, there is nothing in the "SOLVED OBI200 and Cisco SPA303" thread which applies only to a Cisco phone. Show us why you don't accept that.

And what prompted your "I never said anything about azrobert and I bet he's a nice and smart guy."?

The "solved" thread was in 2017.  In this thread in 2018 azrobert posted:

"There was a bug introduced after build 5757, where some devices can't register to an OBi2xx. If your phone won't register, you can circumvent this bug if your phone can call without registration."

He went on to say how to work around that if the phone can call without registration.