News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

XMPP turn-off by GV

Started by drgeoff, June 18, 2018, 06:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

I know it is just a matter of time but as of 1310 GMT 18 June 2018 the GV trunk (Motif) on my Asterisk PBX is still working.

I wonder if it will be a phased withdrawal of XMPP or an instant switch off everywhere for everyone.

SteveInWA

Yes, the migration of users off of XMPP has begun today.  Yes, it really is time to give up on XMPP.  Yes, the migration is staged; there are a large number of steps that have to happen, across multiple platforms, on an account-by-account basis, to do this carefully and thoroughly.  It's going to take some days for all users to be converted.

In other words,

"GTB":  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32005916- = largely correct.

"WhyADuck":  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32005948- = bullshit speculation.

billsimon

This is disappointing. I was hoping that Google had some oversized 15,000V knife switch that they throw to shut the whole thing down in one glorious, sparks-exploding "farewell."

Only in the theatrical version, I suppose.

SteveInWA

There are tens of millions of Google Voice users, so it would have to be 10 megavolt knife switch, at least.  All kidding aside, every single account needs to be touched and a whole lot of other systems need to be altered.  It's like a large city performing a major water main or sewer line replacement; first, you build out the new pipes, pumping stations, junctions, sensors, etc, then you connect the new lines, then you shut off the old lines, and abandon them, all while millions of people are using their toilets.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 18, 2018, 06:12:27 PM
Bill, ha!

You mean, like this?
I would think more like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbN9nb3qyk

(for those that have never seen what *real* high voltage can do, while this is not a typical event, it is what the system is designed to do to protect the grid elsewhere...  The power of physics....  btw, I hope those guys and gals were using their ear protection....)

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on June 18, 2018, 06:16:35 AM
I know it is just a matter of time ...
Reports are that while the turn-off was deferred (due to various identified issues since adequately resolved), today (well, last evening) was finally the day.  Goodbye XMPP.

Taoman

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 19, 2018, 09:00:01 AM
I know it is just a matter of time ...
Reports are that while the turn-off was deferred (due to various identified issues since adequately resolved), today (well, last evening) was finally the day.  Goodbye XMPP.

Yep. Reports are coming in from all over about this. Appears the Google Chat option has been removed from all Google Voice accounts.

Looks like Google may have really pulled the plug on XMPP this time.

Taoman

I know it is just a matter of time but as of 1310 GMT 18 June 2018 the GV trunk (Motif) on my Asterisk PBX is still working.

Is it working today for you?

livefortechnology

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 09:10:59 AM

Nope, as of today 07-19-2018, XMPP is officially dead and gone from all my many GV accounts.  I'm bummed.  So what is the process of adding a 200 series obi to the "new" GV for it to magically then appear in the list of phones/devices?  I saw the announcement from obi showing the pic of the 200's in the phone list, and assuring they would be supported by GV directly now, but no direction/details as to HOW that occurs.

EDIT: Should have clarified my several obi110's that have been ROCK SOLID for MANY years, even with the latest 3rd party oauth firmware, are apparently now paperweights unless I can figure out a way to use them with a different upstream GV SIP provider (that works now that XMPP is dead).

azrobert

Quote from: livefortechnology on July 19, 2018, 11:13:07 AM
EDIT: Should have clarified my several obi110's that have been ROCK SOLID for MANY years, even with the latest 3rd party oauth firmware, are apparently now paperweights unless I can figure out a way to use them with a different upstream GV SIP provider (that works now that XMPP is dead).

The process for adding an SIP GV trunk is the same as an XMPP GV trunk.

See for using your OBi110's:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14451.msg92270#msg92270

You can define up to 4 GV accounts on a single OBi200.

Also:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14463.0

A_Friend

Depending on which version of firmware is on the out-of-the-box Obi200, there are either two options, or only one.

1) Use the Obitalk portal to configure Google Voice.  This will also push the latest firmware onto the device.  This is the recommended procedure, and is pretty painless on a brand-new box.  It precludes you using (2), though.

2) If the firmware is old enough, you may be able to "upgrade" to a user-supported version of the firmware and directly get your credentials through Google.  It's complicated, though.  See the user-supported-firmware site at obifirmware.com.

Any recent version of factory firmware can not be overwritten with the user firmware.  And if you go that route, I'm not sure what happens if you ever want to register your device to use the Obitalk portal.  I mean, you'll be able to register it, but it will probably step all over your settings, overwrite your firmware and maybe force you to factory reset before you can reconfigure anything.  And, in my experience, your backup file and aa prompts may not load back without some extra work.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 09:10:59 AM

It was taken off life support on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough.  A job was run yesterday to purge any remaining "Google Chat" entries and related code.

drgeoff

Unexpectedly my FreePBX GV trunk (Motif) is still showing as "connected".  But any US number I dial gets the Google girl saying "We could not complete your call.  Please try again."  Even dialling my GV number does that, instead of accessing VM.

So XMPP between my PBX and GV servers is still working.  It is the onward side that has been disabled.

nang

Is there still a way to use OBI110 with GV or its brick now? I have been using  with obifirmware.com for some time.

Is there a hardware difference between OBI110 and OBI200? If not, why OBI200 would work but not OBI110 if someone develops a firmware like obifirmware.com?

drgeoff

Quote from: nang on July 19, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
Is there a hardware difference between OBI110 and OBI200? If not, why OBI200 would work but not OBI110 if someone develops a firmware like obifirmware.com?
OBi1x0 devices have MIPS processor while OBi2xx devices have ARM processor so not binary code compatible.  Also OBi1x0 devices have significantly less memory.

A_Friend

Your 110 is still useful as a SIP ATA and bridge device, so I wouldn't call it a brick or paperweight.  But, no, you can't use it with the current version of GV.  I suspect it might be something to do with memory/register size.  The credentials for GV are quite a bit bigger than for other VoIP services.  Still, the cost of paid VoIP service has come down a lot in the last few years, and some of the carriers offer awesome features and service.  There's a learning curve with anything new, but my own opinion is that it's worth it.  You might want to take a look.

Or, you could spring for a new Obi box.  Or wait.  Now that Google Voice has moved over to a SIP protocol, Obihai might not be the only game in town for that soon.  

Even if you just keep the 110 for its FXO bridge capabilities to use in conjunction with an Obi200, it's worth it.

nang

Thanks. I understand better now.
I have obifirmware.com with OAUTH on SP1 and callcentric on SP2 only for 911 purpose.

If I get free NY number from callcenteric and use that NY number as forwarding number on GV setting, would it work for all incoming calls and free?
Any way to get cheap for free outgoing?

Taoman

Quote from: nang on July 19, 2018, 05:57:25 PM

If I get free NY number from callcenteric and use that NY number as forwarding number on GV setting, would it work for all incoming calls and free?
Any way to get cheap for free outgoing?

Ha. I was just going to post that. Yes, free Callcentric DID would take care of your incoming GV calls. Plus they have free CNAM and the best tools to stop telemarketers/robodialers around.

Then just use a low cost ITSP like Circlenet for your outgoing calls and spoof your GV number. Outgoing costs would be minimal.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 06:03:14 PM

Then just use a low cost ITSP like Circlenet for your outgoing calls and spoof your GV number. Outgoing costs would be minimal.

Looking at their website, Circlenet will get probably cranky if you spoof your CID on outgoing calls.  Plus, there's a monthly charge.

If you don't mind plunking down $25 minimum to credit a prepaid account, voip.ms might be the way to go.  They're very liberal about CID spoofing, there's no monthly charge unless you want one of their DIDs, and North America is a penny a minute with no taxes or surcharges.

Also, pre-Obihai, weren't you able to use Google Voice to initiate free outbound phonecalls that would ring to your home phone, via the webpage?