News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't call out after new firmware pushed to 2 OBi 200s

Started by Taoman, July 02, 2018, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

In the last hour I've had new firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) pushed to two of my OBi 200s. I can no longer make outbound calls on those devices. I have multiple providers configured and 2 GV accounts including 3 Voice Gateways. At this point, none of them work for outbound calls. When dialing I hear a pulsating buzzing sound then a clicking sound and then dead air. Incoming calls appear to still work.

I have cold booted the 2 OBi devices plus my phones multiple times. Makes no difference. On the Status page on the local web gui (which now has a new look) everything shows Connected and Registered just as it should. Looks completely normal. But no outbound calls will connect.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

PS. Nothing shows up in Call History.

restamp

Thanks for the heads-up.  I was able to disable updates to my OBis with only one getting updated.  However, the updated one, a 202, seems to be able to still make and receive calls.  FWIW, the OBIHAI trademark has been replaced by Polycom's and the System Status page has a starker look to it.  I haven't had a chance to play with it otherwise.

Hope you can get yours working again Taoman.

Taoman

I ended up downgrading to 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) and outbound started working again. Forgot to disable OBiTALK provisioning and it promptly updated to 5897 again and outbound stopped working again. Grrrrrrrr.

Anyway, disabled every damn thing and downgraded both 200s back down to 5859 and everything works again.

At least for me it's definitely this firmware build causing the issue.

I'll be interested to know if anyone else experiences the same problems I had or if I'm a one-off case.

GPz1100

Taoman

You were able to downgrade because you used the signed 5859 firmware? If so, it would appear the limitation is not being able to flash any unsigned firmware.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 02, 2018, 07:34:52 PM
Taoman

You were able to downgrade because you used the signed 5859 firmware?

Not sure, actually. In the past, when there's been a major firmware change (like OAuth2) you could only downgrade to the first version level that supported OAuth2 (if this old brain remembers correctly).

So it may be that I can only downgrade to the first firmware version that supports GV SIP. Do you know/remember if that was 5859 or was there a version before that one that supported GV SIP? At this point since everything is working normally I'm not too inclined to go experimenting with old firmware builds to find out.

GPz1100

I want to say 5859 was the first to support gvsip but I may be wrong.  I really didn't follow it much until the mod came out where one could downgrade/upgrade to whatever they wanted.  Both of my boxes are running this firmware with custom oauth2 credentials. It's nice to be able to provision the device without any obitalk portals or cloud use.  I ran into no issues migrating to gvsip with either box other than figuring out unique names had to be used for AuthUserName when using multiple gv accounts on the same box.  I even watched the gv accounts convert from google chat to gvsip on the legacy site upon the final reboot of each obi box.

It's probable whatever bugs were introduced will get fixed when the next update gets pushed.  Still, I'm a firm believer if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Also, I'm hopeful polycom/obi realizes the importance of making firmware easily available so one can downgrade when snafus happen.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 02, 2018, 08:02:50 PM

Also, I'm hopeful polycom/obi realizes the importance of making firmware easily available so one can downgrade when snafus happen.

Indeed. The only reason I was able to downgrade was because someone posted the link and I happened to see it. Without that post I'd be dead in the water for outbound calls. I assume they got the link from OBi "support." Ha!

I'm so fed up with Polyhai that during the last sale I bought yet another OBi200 that will never touch the OBitalk portal. Since it doesn't have 5859 on it yet I'll load Naf's firmware that supports GV SIP.

restamp

If the 3-2-2 designation indicates GVsip support, I show two predecessors to 5859EX:  5853EX and 5845EX

NomadTech

Quote from: Taoman on July 02, 2018, 05:33:31 PM
In the last hour I've had new firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) pushed to two of my OBi 200s. I can no longer make outbound calls on those devices. I have multiple providers configured and 2 GV accounts including 3 Voice Gateways. At this point, none of them work for outbound calls. When dialing I hear a pulsating buzzing sound then a clicking sound and then dead air. Incoming calls appear to still work.

I have cold booted the 2 OBi devices plus my phones multiple times. Makes no difference. On the Status page on the local web gui (which now has a new look) everything shows Connected and Registered just as it should. Looks completely normal. But no outbound calls will connect.

PS. Nothing shows up in Call History.

It happend to me on 5859 upgrade. So I decided to spend some time and create the settings in Obitalk that are identical to what's in the OBIs. Polycom updated me yestarday and everything is good.

RFC3261

While is only anecdotal, I have upgraded, and outgoing/incoming seemed to work fine with 5897EX.

RFC3261

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 02, 2018, 07:34:52 PM
... If so, it would appear the limitation is not being able to flash any unsigned firmware.
Which is consistent with the usual practices of verified signed firmware (if you could move from signed to unsigned there is no real reason to require signed at all).

Taoman

Quote from: NomadTech on July 03, 2018, 05:31:03 AM
Polycom updated me yestarday and everything is good.

What does that mean??? Did they push different firmware to your OBi device?

RFC3261

Quote from: Taoman on July 02, 2018, 05:33:31 PM
(which now has a new look)
Re-branding (with the Polycom name/logo and the background colors, and copyright update) was apparently an important part of the transition.

I wonder if the we will next see a "Polycom is now part of Plantronics" re-branding (now that the acquisition has closed).

GPz1100

For those _not_ having issues with the new firmware, are you using only gv or other providers too?

restamp

I do not have the issues with 5897EX that Taoman had, but I do have an issue:

I have two OBis converted to 5897EX, an OBi200 and an OBi202.  The 202 will not display the Call Status page.  When called up, the browser waits forever for a page that never paints, regardless of whether a  call is active or not.  The 200 displays the data.

If someone else has a 202 loaded with 5897EX, could you check this and report?  I'd like to know whether this problem is particular to my OBi or one that affects all 202s.

Thanks

RFC3261

Quote from: restamp on July 03, 2018, 08:30:38 AM
If someone else has a 202 loaded with 5897EX, could you check this and report?  I'd like to know whether this problem is particular to my OBi or one that affects all 202s.
My 202 seems to be working fine with the call status page (displays calls in progress, etc.).

One thought is to be sure to clear your browser cache and/or force a refresh without cached content (depending on browser).  Since the web page(s) have changed, the page/scripts may have changed sufficiently to cause issues [I have gotten caught on that for other manufacturers change in web interfaces at firmware update].

lrosenman

I have 2 GV accounts on my OBI202, one in the WiFi beta (mine), one NOT in the WiFi beta (My Wife).

Mine works fine, my wife's seems to still be talking XMPP based on the OBI202 logs.

QuoteJul  3 12:13:24 192.168.200.109  XMPP:Updating peer:218ott37o0la51syx8acnad1v8@public.talk.google.com[messaging-lcsw_hangouts_82CB35E0] to online

Ideas?

GV Calls do *NOT* reach the 202, and it does *NOT* show up in the portal, but the Obi says connected.

RFC3261

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 03, 2018, 07:29:45 AM
For those _not_ having issues with the new firmware, are you using only gv or other providers too?
All working for me with 5897EX.  I have tested with GV (the new SIP based variant of course), and a provider that I primarily use for e911 (which is a standard SIP setup).  Tested with both a POTS phone, and a (bridged) IP phone.  I will note none of the calls I tested with were to true landlines (AFAIK).

RFC3261

Quote from: lrosenman on July 03, 2018, 10:26:17 AM
Ideas?
I have to believe mixing and matching SIP based and XMPP GV accounts on the same OBi is not a well tested case.

Completely untested, and as likely as not it won't work, but my ideas would be to delete your Wife's GV account from the portal, wait for the various restarts, and then try to re-add it which *may* force the conversion to SIP on the OBi and GV side.  If that does not work, I would next try signing your Wife's account up for the WiFi Beta (and wait for that to happen) and repeat.  Last idea, delete both GV accounts, and than add your Wife's as the first GV account to get it SIP-ized.  Once there, you should be able to reset/restart and get things back to normal (your account on SP1, your Wife's on SP2).  Let us know if any of that happens to work (we can add it to the knowledge base of works, or does not work).

lrosenman

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 03, 2018, 12:01:10 PM
Quote from: lrosenman on July 03, 2018, 10:26:17 AM
Ideas?
delete your Wife's GV account from the portal, wait for the various restarts, and then try to re-add it which *may* force the conversion to SIP on the OBi and GV side.
That didn't work

I've sent the form for her account on the WiFi beta, but I had to "edit" my response from my account to hers.

We'll see.

I may try the 3rd option here in a bit.

Thanks for the ideas.

What's interesting is outbound calling works, but inbound does NOT.