News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

If You Buy Premium Support, will the obi202 updates automatically install?

Started by ascendedmind, July 26, 2018, 02:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ascendedmind

Hi I'm nervous about updating my Obi202 device as Polycom does not respond via email or online support. Now if I purchase the Premium Support for $10 will my device automatically update?

The end date for my OBi202 device was May 2014. Would that pose any issue for automatic firmware update? I want to avoid any hassles.

"Your device may have outdated, old software which no longer complies with Google Voice security requirements.

The latest software, available through your OBiTALK account, will ensure that you can continue using Google Voice on your OBi securely. To get the latest software, please make sure your device is within its one-year warranty and support entitlement or that you have paid for extended support. Obihai support entitles you to the latest software for your OBi with automatic software updates as well as expert advice from Obihai's support team.

OBi customers may also visit: www.obitalk.com/info/support for more information including access to the OBiTALK forum."

drgeoff

All OBi2xx devices should be automatically upgraded to work with the "new SIP GV" irrespective of warranty or paid support status.

ascendedmind

If that was true, then why would I will asking this question when Polycon says:

"Your device may have outdated, old software which no longer complies with Google Voice security requirements.

The latest software, available through your OBiTALK account, will ensure that you can continue using Google Voice on your OBi securely. To get the latest software, please make sure your device is within its one-year warranty and support entitlement or that you have paid for extended support. Obihai support entitles you to the latest software for your OBi with automatic software updates as well as expert advice from Obihai's support team.

OBi customers may also visit: www.obitalk.com/info/support for more information including access to the OBiTALK forum."

drgeoff

Because Obihai is cr*p at keeping information to end-users up to date.

ascendedmind

Oh, you were being sarcastic, where is the latest firmware update for the obi202 device? Would you share link? This site does not make it easy.

drgeoff

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 26, 2018, 03:56:57 PM
Oh, you were being sarcastic, where is the latest firmware update for the obi202 device? Would you share link? This site does not make it easy.
You don't seem to know what "sarcastic" means.  I was not being sarcastic.  The remainder of your post shows that you have found that what I wrote was accurate.

ascendedmind

Any idea where is the latest firmware update for the obi202 device? Would you share link? This site does not make it easy.

SteveInWA

I don't think that red annoy-o-gram should appear on your portal unless you have an OBi 100 or 110 on your list of devices.  It only applies to those discontinued products.

You should be able to delete your 202 off of the portal, restore it to factory defaults, then re-add it to the portal, and it should upgrade itself automatically.  You do not need paid support to do this.

If you need instructions to do this, here you go:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

ascendedmind

Thank you very much Steve in Wa,

I'm very surprised this can be done. So I can do this directly from obitalk account, w/o doing it manually?

Will I notice any difference in improvement if OBi202 device has not been updated since May 2014?

Btw, I'm from Puyallup by the Fairgrounds.

SteveInWA

If your 202 truly has not been updated since 2014, then it won't work with Google Voice.  If you update it, it will.  I can't speak for the hundreds of other fixes or changes made to the firmware, since Polycom/Obihai has not posted any release notes in years.

The portal has the ability to remotely push firmware updates.  All it takes is for you to reset and start over as a new device being added to the portal.  In a few cases, it either took a day or two for it to be updated, or it wouldn't update, and needed some gyrating to make it happen, but overall, it should simply work.  This is in conjunction with Google's ongoing, complete replacement of their entire Google Voice infrastructure, including specific hardware and software to support provisioning OBiTALK devices.

Ha, I'm north of you.  When I moved here, it was interesting to see the many rivers and a city named after Native American tribes.  It was explained to me how to pronounce "Puyallup":  when the Indian tribes were exploring new territory, they came over a ridge, and a horrible, nauseating odor caught them by surprise.  Reacting to it, they said "PEW!" and then puked "HUAAAALP".

ascendedmind

Thanks again I was born in Puyallup & returned later. People are not sure how to pronounce it correctly. Then I say say it like it stinks, then they get it.

I'm currently subscribed to phonepower using the Obi202 device.

However, tech support at Phonepower told me I would need to bypass the obitalk portal because eventually phonepower service would stop working due to phonepower no longer being an approved service provider.

I plan on canceling the phone service after I update the obi200 device as I thought I needed phonepower for this device to work & now just discovered after talking with Phonepower I never did.

I was never alerted from Obitalk or Polycon about this!

SteveInWA

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 26, 2018, 07:23:19 PM
Thanks again I was born in Puyallup & returned later. People are not sure how to pronounce it correctly. Then I say say it like it stinks, then they get it.

I'm currently subscribed to phonepower using the Obi202 device.

However, tech support at Phonepower told me I would need to bypass the obitalk portal because eventually phonepower service would stop working due to phonepower no longer being an approved service provider.

I plan on canceling the phone service after I update the obi200 device as I thought I needed phonepower for this device to work & now just discovered after talking with Phonepower I never did.

I was never alerted from Obitalk or Polycon about this!

Well, to be really clear, you need some sort of service provider.  If not Phonepower, then either Google Voice or one of Phonepower's many competitors, like Callcentric, voip.ms, Anveo, etc.

ascendedmind

Do you recommend having a service provider & using googlevoice? Or just pay for 911 service to use with googlevoice?

SteveInWA

It is entirely up to you.  If you ask 5 people on this forum, you will probably get 5 different answers, most of them great.

There are plenty of reasonably-priced options.  If Google Voice's features appeal to you, then I'd suggest configuring Google Voice on SP1, and sign up with Callcentric for their $1.95 per month "North America Basic" plan.  It's only $.45/month more than the $1.50/month E911-only price, and it includes 120 minutes of outbound calling in case your GV number has a problem.  You'd then configure that on SP2.  The portal will ask you which SP to use for E911, and you will point it to SP2.

ascendedmind

Is there any Android apps you recommend using with OBi202 device & smartphone? I absolutely love Googlevoice with the ability to text from PC & receive messages from Googlevoice landline number on my Android

SteveInWA

The new Google Voice platform treats OBiTALK devices the same way as it treats calling to/from Google Hangouts, or the in-beta Google Voice VoIP calling feature.  So, all you need is the official Google Voice app for Android.  You can enroll in the GV WiFi/4g VoIP calling beta here:  https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/voice/aI7m1PrV21Y/xj4mIwdeAgAJ

If you're not familiar with the various features of Google Voice, I suggest spending some time reading through the help articles.  They are broken down into easy-to-digest chunks.   :)

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989

ascendedmind

Thank you very much Steve for sharing your knowledge & time. I really do appreciate your answers. All very practical & useful. A rare find, I'll share your info with others on Amazon.com, unless you already have.

ascendedmind

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 26, 2018, 09:38:12 PM
The new Google Voice platform treats OBiTALK devices the same way as it treats calling to/from Google Hangouts, or the in-beta Google Voice VoIP calling feature.  So, all you need is the official Google Voice app for Android.  You can enroll in the GV WiFi/4g VoIP calling beta here:  https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/voice/aI7m1PrV21Y/xj4mIwdeAgAJ

If you're not familiar with the various features of Google Voice, I suggest spending some time reading through the help articles.  They are broken down into easy-to-digest chunks.   :)

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989

ascendedmind

Steve, the following tutorial did not work to update my obi202, now it no longer updates. I can't even configure it & says same original message as before. It won't allow me to even configure it on SP1 or any other SP.
Very frustrating. I tried uploading screenshots via PNG file w/o success.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

SteveInWA

Yes the forum software is broken, and not allowing image uploads.

The procedure does work.  I need more details from you to understand what you are doing.

Please carefully read and follow all the steps.  Do not skip anything.  Post exactly which step fails, and post in detail what happens.