News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

If You Buy Premium Support, will the obi202 updates automatically install?

Started by ascendedmind, July 26, 2018, 02:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ascendedmind

This is where I run into problems after following instructions, which repeatedly failed after 3X.

Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device. After & input number it sends to receiver & acknowledges it.

When I click on SP1 & then Google setup now... I receive the following message:

"Your device may have outdated, old software which no longer complies with Google Voice security requirements.

The latest software, available through your OBiTALK account, will ensure that you can continue using Google Voice on your OBi securely. To get the latest software, please make sure your device is within its one-year warranty and support entitlement or that you have paid for extended support. Obihai support entitles you to the latest software for your OBi with automatic software updates as well as expert advice from Obihai's support team.

OBi customers may also visit: www.obitalk.com/info/support for more information including access to the OBiTALK forum."

SP1 Not Configured even after selecting google voice set-up or service provider. Just repeats same scenario. I could send you screenshots to?

SteveInWA

>:( :( ???

WTF.   Plug the power cord in and let the device boot up.  Pick up the phone.  Key in ***1, and it should say "Your IP address is..." and then read out either a 192.168.x.x address or a 10.0.x.x address.  We don't need to know that address, but we need to confirm that your device is at least connected properly to the Internet.

Hang up. Pick up the phone again and key in ***0 then 1# and reply with the firmware value it reads out.

ascendedmind

SteveInWA

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

WHAT?!?  Where did you buy this device, and when?  That is an extremely old firmware build.  Is this a brand new device from an authorized retailer like Amazon, Newegg, or B&H Photo, or did you get it from eBay or Craigslist, or did you find it at a bus station?  Now, the title of your post becomes clearer.  The current firmware is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

Try this. 

Unplug the Ethernet and power cords.  Plug back in just the power cord.  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8 then 1 to confirm restoring to factory defaults, then hang up.  Wait a good long time until it restores and reboots and the left-most (Power) LED is on steady, and the middle LED (Internet) is occasionally flickering.

Open your desktop/laptop web browser, and go here:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw

It will download the firmware to your computer.  Make note of the download directory.

Plug the Ethernet cable back into the device, unplug and then re-plug the power cord and let it fully boot up.

Pickup the phone again and key in ***1 and write down the IP address it reads to you.

Press Ctrl-T to open a new browser tab, and go to the IP address that was read out to you when you pressed ***1.

Enter "admin" for the user name and "admin" for the password.

This is the local webserver page for the OBi device.  Navigate to System Management-->Device Update.  Where it says "Select file to update firmware", click the "Choose file" button.  Navigate to the firmware file you downloaded and select it.  Press the Update button and watch.  It should download the firmware to the device, install it and finally verify it and reboot.  Be patient and above all, touch nothing; do not interrupt the process or you may turn it into a brick.

When it is done, pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# and confirm that it indeed updated to build 589EX.

Now, continue with my linked set of instructions, starting at this step:

• Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device.

ascendedmind

I bought it new from Amazon.com in May of 2013 & has worked great until now.

WHAT?!?  Where did you buy this device, and when?  That is an extremely old
firmware build.  Is this a brand new device from an authorized retailer
like Amazon, Newegg, or B&H Photo, or did you get it from eBay or
Craigslist, or did you find it at a bus station?  Now, the title of your
post becomes clearer.  The current firmware is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

SteveInWA

Well, it aint gonna work with that old firmware anymore.  Time to upgrade.

ascendedmind

I still can receive calls via my Googlevoice phone connected to my Bi202 device. However, my phonepower voicemail answers whenever there is a busy signal or whenever I don't answer. Phonepower is manually set within Obi202 device & not on the Obihai portal. My google voice number is call forwarded to my phonepower number & smartphone, within googlevoice account.

SteveInWA

Did you, or did you not upgrade the firmware?

The Phonepower issue indicates that you haven't set up call forwarding on busy or no answer, back to your Google Voice number.  You need to do this on your Phonepower account.  Someone who's more familiar with PP can walk you through this.

ascendedmind

Not yet, just nervous about possibly bricking the device like you warned. I had a phonepower service tech forward the phonepower number to my googlevoice number, but then my landline googlevoice phone would no longer ring.

Tech support could not figure it out the cause of this.

However my googlevoice number would ring on my smartphone as my googlevoice number is also call forwarded to my smartphone number. The Googlevoice number did not ring when forwarded to phonepower number or when phonepower was call forwarded to googlevoicenumber. Nether approach would ring phone.

SteveInWA

I am not going to spend any more time with you, if you are going to insist on using five-year-old firmware.

ascendedmind

I'm going to update it, sorry for the confusion. I'l keep you posted.

ascendedmind

After following your direction: I typed in the IP address & got "The requested URL was not found!"
I tried on three different browsers. What now?

Perhaps you now understand my initial reluctance Now I don't have any phone service.

SteveInUS

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 28, 2018, 11:41:21 PM
After following your direction: I typed in the IP address & got "The requested URL was not found!"
I tried on three different browsers. What now?

Perhaps you now understand my initial reluctance Now I don't have any phone service.

Check this out
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

ascendedmind

Thank you, what value would I enter?  after pressing Press 1 to Enter a New Value?
Do I disable WAN or enable it?

drgeoff

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 29, 2018, 09:45:39 AM
Thank you, what value would I enter?  after pressing Press 1 to Enter a New Value?
Do I disable WAN or enable it?
The answer is in the FAQ. Read it!

ascendedmind

I did, but the what value is not clear:
- Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi202
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value (does not indicate what value, I assume it does matter.
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save

drgeoff

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 29, 2018, 10:33:52 AM
I did, but the what value is not clear:
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value (does not indicate what value, I assume it does matter.
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save

Read the whole FAQ.

ascendedmind

Wow, it's like puling teeth from a shark to get a straight answer from drgeoff. I would not have asked if I read & understood it. Typically I have no issues, but this device is another story.

again, this does not explain or tell you what value to use.  Frustrating.

drgeoff

Quote from: ascendedmind on July 29, 2018, 10:56:02 AM
Wow, it's like puling teeth from a shark to get a straight answer from drgeoff. I would not have asked if I read & understood it. Typically I have no issues, but this device is another story.

again, this does not explain or tell you what value to use.  Frustrating.
The FAQ has it written in black and white. I quote:
---------
By default, web access to the Internet (WAN) IP address of the OBi202 is disabled. Accessing the Internet (WAN) IP will show, "The requested URL was not found!" or "The web page cannot be found" in your browser. Note: You may always access the web page from the LAN side of the OBi202, e.g. connect your PC to the LAN port of the OBi202. To enable access to the OBi202,

- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save

---------

Why do you write: "This does not explain or tell you what value to use."

"Frustrating" is the word that best describes trying to help you. No wonder SteveInWA walked away.

ascendedmind