News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Randomly when a caller calls in they hear no audio or very choppy

Started by brianthelin, September 11, 2018, 10:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianthelin

I am running a obi1022 at our school main desk randomly when a caller calls in they hear garbled/choppy or no audio, we have a obi202 running at that same desk for over a year and never had this problem. the 202 is still hooked up the secratary can hit the * to start ringing other devices answer on the 202 it works great. any clue what my problem is? we are running fiber optic internet and have never even come close to our bandwidth limits

A_Friend

I'd wonder if there was a different codec profile selected on each device.  If you're running Google Voice, I believe there is only one codec possible, g711u, and all calls connect with that, on any device.  But, if you're using another SIP provider, this might be more flexible, meaning you could have a bad choice possible.

Each device uses different software, which means it's possible they start with different defaults.  The difference between the Obi110 and the Obi200 is documented in the Obihai Device Administration Guide.  I don't have a 1022, so I can't check.

So, if you're NOT using Google Voice for these calls, maybe have a peek at the Codec Profiles of the Obi202 and see if the 1022 is different.

I ran into a similar problem myself with Voip.ms after a recent Obi202 software upgrade.  The fix was done on the service provider side by their Tech support, which spotted a codec on the back end, which I had turned off years ago to shave some bandwidth, and turned it back on.  It had worked just fine until the software upgraded.

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on September 11, 2018, 03:12:15 PM
I'd wonder if there was a different codec profile selected on each device.  If you're running Google Voice, I believe there is only one codec possible, g711u, and all calls connect with that, on any device.  But, if you're using another SIP provider, this might be more flexible, meaning you could have a bad choice possible.

Each device uses different software, which means it's possible they start with different defaults.  The difference between the Obi110 and the Obi200 is documented in the Obihai Device Administration Guide.  I don't have a 1022, so I can't check.

So, if you're NOT using Google Voice for these calls, maybe have a peek at the Codec Profiles of the Obi202 and see if the 1022 is different.

I ran into a similar problem myself with Voip.ms after a recent Obi202 software upgrade.  The fix was done on the service provider side by their Tech support, which spotted a codec on the back end, which I had turned off years ago to shave some bandwidth, and turned it back on.  It had worked just fine until the software upgraded.

BS.

This is a known bug with the 1000 series phones.  There are no user settings that can fix it.  Complain to Polycom.

se1961

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 11, 2018, 03:35:00 PMThis is a known bug with the 1000 series phones.  There are no user settings that can fix it.  Complain to Polycom.

Hi! Came to the forum to troubleshoot some problems I have been having with my 1062 that sound like they might be related-- sometimes my voice becomes choppy and distorted to callers, seems to be fixed by a reboot. It honestly doesn't happen very often-- for the most part I have been using the phone happily for over a year. I searched this forum after seeing this comment and couldn't find anything-- would you mind clarifying? Thank you!