News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

access voicemail messages on phone

Started by Greatpretender, December 01, 2018, 08:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatpretender

I've been using obihai for a month and it's been working out well.  My only question:  I would like to know how I can listen to voicemail messages using the phone.  I can see my messages on my iPad but I need to be able to get them using the phone. 

I would be grateful for any help.  Needless to say I am a newbie so please bear with my less than techie competence!  TIA.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Thanks for the "noob warning".  It's fine; we were all noobs once.

An OBiTALK device is not a free telephone gizmo.  It is a device that needs to be set up with telephone service from a service provider.  Most consumers buy them thinking Google Voice is a free telephone company.  It's not.  It is a call forwarding service. 

I'm going to assume you want to use Google Voice; if not tell us what service provider you are using (e.g. Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms, Phonepower, etc.)

You need to a) get an inbound Google Voice telephone number, and b) "link" (add and verify) one or more forwarding destinations, from which you will make and receive calls.  OBiTALK devices are simply one type of forwarding destination.  You can also add up to six regular US land line or mobile numbers, and you can also make VoIP calls using Google Hangouts.

At minimum, after successfully obtain a Google Voice number and you set it up on your OBiTALK device, you need to go into Google Voice settings and create/save a voicemail PIN.  You'll then call into your Google Voice number from your OBi-attached telephone, or one of your forwarding phone numbers, to hear your messages.  You'll need to enter your PIN and # to access the menu.

Using a laptop/desktop computer's web browser, go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings  This is where you will manage all of your Google Voice settings.  Some settings have not yet migrated over from Google Voice's old settings page, and the voicemail PIN setting is one of them.  To get there, click the three horizontal-bar "hamburger" menu icon in the upper left corner of the page, then scroll down and click "Legacy Google Voice".  On the legacy site, click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page and then click Settings.  Now on the Settings page, click the "Voicemail & Text" tab.  Finally, type in a PIN (I recommend using 8 digits, not 4) twice, then click the save button.

You can now call your GV number to hear voicemail.  Note that you can only hear messages that are "new".  Once you listen to a message, it won't be available again unless you save it as new.

The better way to manage voicemail and text messaging is from the Google Voice website or Android or iOS apps.

Greatpretender

Thanks for the thorough response! 

I am using Google voice with the obi device.  I will try to implement the directions you outlined.  I've failed in all my attempts to follow the steps outlined in GV but your answer has given me hope! 
Thanks again!

SteveInWA

What, exactly, is failing - what task/step fails?

Here are my complete instructions on solving most initial connection problems:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Bound2Last

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 01, 2018, 09:24:01 PM
Hi:

Thanks for the "noob warning".  It's fine; we were all noobs once.

An OBiTALK device is not a free telephone gizmo.  It is a device that needs to be set up with telephone service from a service provider.  Most consumers buy them thinking Google Voice is a free telephone company.  It's not.  It is a call forwarding service. 

I'm going to assume you want to use Google Voice; if not tell us what service provider you are using (e.g. Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms, Phonepower, etc.)

You need to a) get an inbound Google Voice telephone number, and b) "link" (add and verify) one or more forwarding destinations, from which you will make and receive calls.  OBiTALK devices are simply one type of forwarding destination.  You can also add up to six regular US land line or mobile numbers, and you can also make VoIP calls using Google Hangouts.

At minimum, after successfully obtain a Google Voice number and you set it up on your OBiTALK device, you need to go into Google Voice settings and create/save a voicemail PIN.  You'll then call into your Google Voice number from your OBi-attached telephone, or one of your forwarding phone numbers, to hear your messages.  You'll need to enter your PIN and # to access the menu.

Using a laptop/desktop computer's web browser, go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings  This is where you will manage all of your Google Voice settings.  Some settings have not yet migrated over from Google Voice's old settings page, and the voicemail PIN setting is one of them.  To get there, click the three horizontal-bar "hamburger" menu icon in the upper left corner of the page, then scroll down and click "Legacy Google Voice".  On the legacy site, click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page and then click Settings.  Now on the Settings page, click the "Voicemail & Text" tab.  Finally, type in a PIN (I recommend using 8 digits, not 4) twice, then click the save button.

You can now call your GV number to hear voicemail.  Note that you can only hear messages that are "new".  Once you listen to a message, it won't be available again unless you save it as new.

The better way to manage voicemail and text messaging is from the Google Voice website or Android or iOS apps.
Wow Steve your solid stuff!
Thanks for all your time you put forth in the forum.

I had a few questions while setting up my new Obi202. And Bam this guy Steve answered each and every one.

Lastly I was playing around trying to set up my voicemail which would allow me to listen to my messages while using my Linked phone connected to my obi202 and I bumped into this thread.

Worked like a charm.
Just curious why did you recommend to use an 8 digit passcode vs a 4 digit one? More secure?

Anyways thanks again, you're amazing!

I made a username special to come here and thank you! Was worth it for that alone! ;)

Just curious is there a way to attach a program that would have a caller ID like I had and have on my home line which doesn't use GV, which shows who's calling, meaning aside for those in my Google contacts or those saved in my phone book on my phone?
Is there a thread that talks about it? Or do I need to pay extra for that feature?

Thanks Steve!

SteveInWA

Thanks for the positive feedback!

RE:  PIN; yes, I recommend 8 digits, because it is rather easy for a hacker to brute-force try every 4 digit code.  And, of course, don't use your ATM PIN or SSN!

RE:  Caller ID name, see:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17024.new#new

Bound2Last

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 10, 2020, 02:25:48 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback!

RE:  PIN; yes, I recommend 8 digits, because it is rather easy for a hacker to brute-force try every 4 digit code.  And, of course, don't use your ATM PIN or SSN!

RE:  Caller ID name, see:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17024.new#new
Thanks will take a peak at that thread.

Not hiding much so don't really care that much ,so will leave at 4 digits for the time being.

But good point there though for the 8 digits.