News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Failed: No Response (as of today 3/9) Across MULTIPLE OBI 508's

Started by transam98, March 09, 2019, 05:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveX

My issue is resolved.  I ended up undoing what I did back in December in this post:

reply #53 http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15391.40

In the mean time, I put in all the port forwarding ports in my router.  I didn't do that before but the device was working well.... the little bit of paranoia in me is a bit concerned about the quality of my router but that will be for another day.

I also updated my firmware to the latest 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).

I do like these OBi devices as it satisfies the frugal side of me.

And many thanks to all the people willing to post and discuss about the ongoing issues.

Best,
Steve

transam98

Are you using a 508 ? because the 508 doesnt have a SYSTEM MANAGEMENT/WAN section on the left ;(

SteveX

No, I'm using the 202.... sorry, I know I mildly hijacked the thread but given the timing of the 5xx series going down and mine going down, I thought that the issues could be related.

transam98

it probably is ;( its ok... im sure its probably the same reason... just interface isnt the same i guess on the 500's

loumarjr

My 508 also went down.  I only use my 508 for personal calls and never for business.  I emailed Obi via the support ticket and they directed me to this post.  I paid for support last July and they directed me to a post inferring that I am using the 508 for business purposes with Google Voice.  This is not true.

I would expect that if I paid for support, the reps would help us fix the issue instead of blaming us for using a product incorrectly when we were not.

Google Voice is supported by Obi and I am using the product according to Google's terms.  I would like for Obi to fix our issue.

transam98

LOL they directed you to this post ? weird/strange.... well they know of the problem ! not for OBI/POLY Whoever to FIX it @@@@@@@@@@@@@!!

I hate when a company makes EXCUSES to cover up the problem/reason...

Unless they have CALL LOGS of you making THOUSANDS or even HUNDREDS of calls a month in/out then they should BITE Their tongue and STFU and FIX the problem...

I guess one good thing is they cant SELL ANY Product without it working as advertised !

then comes along if its never fixed a class action lawsuit @!

Whoever CHANGED whatever and BROKE IT then the fix lies there... anyways I wonder how MANY people (I dont know if its GOOGLE or OBI) have their hand in the pot.....

And if it IS Googles fault then they SHOULD have a LIASON or whatever that is communicating with the TEAM at OBI !

I wonder maybe if a attorney should get involved... as a big company obi/poly would have a LOT to use as it is ADVERTISED as supported by GV... that is ALL OBI Products !!!!

SteveInWA

Quote from: loumarjr on March 14, 2019, 03:13:56 PM
My 508 also went down.  I only use my 508 for personal calls and never for business.  I emailed Obi via the support ticket and they directed me to this post.  I paid for support last July and they directed me to a post inferring that I am using the 508 for business purposes with Google Voice.  This is not true.

I would expect that if I paid for support, the reps would help us fix the issue instead of blaming us for using a product incorrectly when we were not.

Google Voice is supported by Obi and I am using the product according to Google's terms.  I would like for Obi to fix our issue.

Hi:  I'm trying to sort this out with Polycom.

How many of your 508's SPx are configured to use Google Voice (how many different Google accounts are you using on this one device)?

What is your typical usage (how many outbound calls per day, per Google Voice number)?  What is the average duration of each call?

transam98

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 14, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
Quote from: loumarjr on March 14, 2019, 03:13:56 PM

How many of your 508's SPx are configured to use Google Voice (how many different Google accounts are you using on this one device)?

What is your typical usage (how many outbound calls per day, per Google Voice number)?  What is the average duration of each call?

Thanks Steve !!

I have TWO 508's (had em both for maybe 2+ yrs..

Device 1 has 7 GV accounts (SOME do NOT have a GV # just the login)(This way when you make a call it is UNKNOWN)

Device 2 has 6 GV accts (and same as above)..

ONLY one to make in/out calls 99.9% of the time is DEVICE # 1

OF device # 1 only SP1 and SP2 are used for calls in/out.

# of calls per day.... maybe 5-10 MAX TOPS same with in/out (SP1)

Some of my #'s may be dead for non use... i dont use them monthly really....

Some #'s on DEVICE 2 are hooked to TWO fax machines... one a color inkjet and one a laser printer... FAXES used MAYBE once a month.

calls on Device one.. maybe avg 5-10 mins occasional friend calls maybe 1-2 hours..

thats it.. DEF not business..... I just like to have the best item/device avail.

My call LOGS back up what im saying above and IF OBI ever logged into my devices they would see this, DEF NOT business.

loumarjr

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 12, 2019, 03:51:28 PM
You are using the consumer version of Google Voice.

Although the OBi 500 series models can use Google Voice as a service provider, it is neither recommended nor supported for multi-line business use.

Creating multiple Google Voice accounts for a business violates Google's Acceptable Use Policy.  Any sort of call center, telesales or other high-volume outbound calling pattern is also a violation, and may result in Google suspending the service and taking back the phone numbers.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/googlevoice/program-policies.html

Now that Google has a paid, enterprise version of Google Voice for G Suite customers, it's a safe bet that they will increase enforcement of this policy.

I recommend that you instead use a suitable, paid ITSP with your 508(s).

SteveInWA

Could you please comment on why Obi/Polycom is selling the 508 on Amazon with the item heading, 

"Obihai OBi508vs Universal Telephone Adapter with 8-Phone Ports (FXS), T.38 Fax, PSTN Failover, 4-Port Ethernet Switch (1 GigE + 3 10/100FE), Supports 9 VoIP Accounts (SIP and Google Voice) and OBiTALK"

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5D8MRS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00H5D8MRS&linkCode=as2&tag=obihatechn-20

Notice that the description states " Supports 9 VoIP Accounts (SIP and Google Voice) " (Emphasis added)

Are you stating that Obi/Polycom is violating Google's Acceptable Use Policy by providing a link to their "Business" device that allows up to 9 Google Voice accounts?

I am curious to understand why you assume people are using the 508 for business.  If Google determines their policy was violated, Google will surely advise.  It is not Obi/Polycom's to determine this.  Their duty is to support a product that they sell in the way they represent it.

Finally, are you saying that the 508 will currently work with a Google Voice user that is using it for personal calls?  if you are, then why doesn't my device work??

loumarjr

[/quote]

[/quote]

Steve:

I have 3 Google Voice Numbers:

1) Me
2) Wife
3) Parents use when they stay with us

Very low usage.  Mainly use because if I am on the cellphone, it is difficult to use the phone and talk at the same time.  For example, my brother calls and tells me to look at this Amazon item, the Obi508 with google voice, I look at the product on the phone while talking to him on my cordless phone via the Obi.  Average duration 10 minute calls.

Never thought I would be explaining this in a post, but you asked.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but we are all really upset and tired of paying good money and having really stupid issues.

SteveInWA

Don't put words into my mouth, and do not try to imply nor speculate on my statements, beyond exactly what I post.  I am not a Polycom nor a Google employee, although I provide volunteer tech assistance for Google Voice in general over on the Google Voice forum, and Google Voice specific to OBiTALK devices here.  I have contacts at both companies.

The Obihai stuff you are quoting was written a long time ago.  It is possible that this is either a) a bug, or b) an abuse detection issue.  We don't know yet, but I am trying to find out.  That's why I am asking those questions.

Regarding abuse:  Google's policy is the same, regardless of whether someone has 1 OBi 202 or 2 508s, or 10 web browsers signed into 10 different Google accounts, each with a GV number:  obtaining multiple Google accounts and setting them for multiple Google Voice numbers may be a violation of Google's terms.

To be clear, one person with one Google Voice number could be calling 100 people per hour to talk about anything, e.g. a soccer league, or ten people, each with a GV number at one location could be calling 13456 people per hour to do telemarketing or call center work.  The issue is around usage patterns, not whether it is a business or not.

This is the consumer version of Google Voice, and it is not supported for, nor intended for business use.  Google now offers a paid, enterprise version of Google Voice for multi-user business scenarios.  I am not going to get into any sort of argument about this policy, nor give any advice about dealing with it, nor am I going to get into any argument over whether or not you were misled by the purchase of a 508.  I am merely pointing out Google's policy.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/googlevoice/program-policies.html

loumarjr

Steve,

The issue is a Polycom representative explicitly named you and your post as a direct explanation of what happened (Text of Polycom's Email below):

--------------------------------------
Hi,

Please see SteveInWA's postings here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15727.msg98083#msg98083

Best regards,
Obi support at Polycom
-----------------------------------------

I would have much rather had Polycom answer there own technical issues rather then pointing to your post and leading me to believe that you were posting on Polycom's behalf. After all, it would appear that you speculated that we were using the 508 for business purposes and thus the reason for the GV lock out, but many 508's were down, if not all, and I knew mine was used for personal calls.  I apologize if you were offended and I blame Polycom for their poor handing of the issue.

The point is we all want what we were promised by Polycom or Obi.  This is not old information quoted because the 508 is CURRENTLY for sale on amazon, as stated in my previous post.  They are selling the unit, currently, as GV compatible.  I was angry that their response (through you) was I was misusing GV terms and that's why the issue occurred with the 508.  I have ONE GV account, my wife has one, and my parents have one.  If google checked my logs, they would see very few calls.

While I thank you for volunteering your time and advise in this forum and hope you can help take care of this, Polycom is responsible for the issue.

transam98

SAME EXACT THING HERE !!!! SUPER LOW USE, Def not business/spam etc...

the issue is DEFINITELY NOT shut off from abuse etc... if it was they would suspend that single #....

I do remember getting suspended about 2 yrs ago because I signed up on twitter for notifications,,, and all the sudden I was getting like 20++++ txts a day.... GV shut it off I appealed and got it back on when they looked into it that they were coming from twitter notifications....

Im pretty SURE if your making 100+ CALLS a day or more they will notice !

I occasionally call radio stations (redial redial redial etc) and dont get blocked !

Someone changed something on obi or GV and whoever did it isnt admitting it.... for a LOT of 508's to go off it was probably a GLOBAL Change SOMEONE did...

SteveInWA

Sigh.

While you were whining, I've been trading emails with the Google Voice team on this issue, after trading emails with the Polycom team.  They're both looking at it.  If you had spent any time dealing with Google Voice on OBi devices in the past, you'd know that Google Voice sometimes makes changes that can break things on OBi devices.  Google has completely replaced its massive Voice infrastructure in the past year, migrating from XMPP to SIP, which resulted (and will result) in unanticipated bugs.  Shit happens, and then it gets fixed.  Lather, rinse and repeat.

They referred you to that thread because, as of earlier today, they don't really know what's wrong yet, and like I said, it could be caused by one of several scenarios.  They do have official contacts at Google, but they value my help in investigating some GV-on-OBi issues.

Remember:  nobody is forcing you to use Google Voice.  There are plenty of other alternatives that work great on OBiTALK devices.

Chill out.

loumarjr

Steve,

The reason for my whining was that Polycom basally responded to my support ticket stating for me to read your post which stated that a GV policy violation blocked my 508.  They never stated they would investigate and look into the issue.  All they had to say was that they would look into it and get back to me and i would have accepted that.  Not point me to a post that was totally unrelated to the way i use google voice.  Thank you for your help in trying to resolve this issue.

transam98

sounds like a EXCUSE to me cuz if they (GV) blocked you on a policy violation then GV would have done it....

I had GV once SHUT off my # due to a so called violation.... they just set your # to unavailable... and I appealed it and found it was cause I got a LOT of incoming SMS TXTS from twitter... they turned it back on....

But if GV blocked you they would have done it on your GV webpage not on the obi...

Plus there is TO MANY 508's that are OFF !! for all of them to be violations...

Plus IF you were blocked on a violation then it also wouldnt WORK when you log into google.com/voice

loumarjr

Quote from: transam98 on March 14, 2019, 08:58:00 PM
sounds like a EXCUSE to me cuz if they (GV) blocked you on a policy violation then GV would have done it....

I had GV once SHUT off my # due to a so called violation.... they just set your # to unavailable... and I appealed it and found it was cause I got a LOT of incoming SMS TXTS from twitter... they turned it back on....

But if GV blocked you they would have done it on your GV webpage not on the obi...

Plus there is TO MANY 508's that are OFF !! for all of them to be violations...

Plus IF you were blocked on a violation then it also wouldnt WORK when you log into google.com/voice

What bothered me was instead of Polycom acknowledging the issue and trying to find a solution, they sent me to a post that stated that business use was responsible for the block out.

It is like buying a suv with 4 wheel drive and the 4 wheel drive stops working.  You email the manufacturer and they refer you to a post by an person, a member on their site, not affiliated with the company that says the government turned off 4 wheel drive because you violated the government's policy against driving down the wrong side of the road.  Well, you know you never drove down the wrong side of the road and the authorities never stated to you that you had a violation and they even let you renew your drivers license with no mention of the alleged violation.  Heck, your insurance didn't even go up!!  You would want the manufacturer just to fix the vehicle and stop passing the buck.

GV never blocked me and I can still make calls on the website.  Google gives free numbers out and Polycom makes money with this by selling devices that state they work with GV.  I really appreciate what Google does for us and do not fault them whatsoever.  I pay for Polycom's support service and purchased their product.  It was said that the Obi stuff I was quoting was written a long time ago, however they are still selling the 508 on amazon, linked from Polycom's support site, as GV compatible.  Anyone who doesn't believe me, see my prior post for the link to the item on Amazon.

It is true that I was not forced to use Google Voice, I was enticed by Obi and Polycom and purchased their products and services based on their official support for GV.  I will gladly stop wining when Polycom fixes our devices.

transam98

I emailed them this AM asking for a update got the same canned reply to see steves postings (which is funny as im the one that started the thread), ive taken screen shots.... they advertise its supported on with google which it obviously is NOT as it doesnt work, ive even deleted all except one thing in the 508 did a full factory reset added in 1 GV... still errors out....

Anyone want to do a class action lawsuit ? lol

Zaptastic

Has anyone tried migrating to obi 20xs yet?  Or assuming Google banned obi 50x series, figured out a way to pay Google to restore service to 50x?

transam98

I wonder if google banned anyone that has MORE than ONE GV going to the same IP ?
kind of would be stupid as the OBI allows you to ADD as many as you want... not to mention the 202's etc allow you to add 4 numbers (2 physical ports and 2 ghost ports that ring into the 2 hard ports...)

Plus  If your only allowed to have ONE GV Phone number PER IP Address the box should stop it at that..... but im not sure that is it either....

plus not to mention ove had multiple #'s in the 508 for years, and never did a single abuse etc... (plus others w/ 508's) all have the same problem and im sure others alike are not making a hundred calls a day./.. And if that were the case GV hasnt canned your # as tehy all still work on the GV Page....