News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't seem to set up Voip.ms

Started by Johnny, November 03, 2012, 09:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Hey guys, 

With all the Callcentric issues lately I decided to get a Voip.ms account and put it on sp2 instead of CC.

For some reason, deleting the CC account on sp2 did not get rid of all the set up info in the expert config area.  I had to do a reset before the CC info was removed.

I'm trying to set up Voip.ms on sp2 but keep getting the message that it's not configured.

I am using a Obi 110 and went through the wizard where I selected voip.ms from the list of carriers but still can't seem to get it going.

One quick question.  When it asks for your user name at Voip.ms, is it asking for the user name that you use to log in to your account at Voip.ms, or is it asking for the user name that Voip.ms supplies in the form of numbers?

Thanks

Johnny

Just an update.

I was finally able to get the account registered.

I had to change the proxy server from New York to Atlanta and I also had to input my user name that Voip.ms supplied along with my password in the expert config  area of the Obi.

That must have did it, because it now says my sp2 account is registered and checking my account at Voip.ms, it also says it is registered.

Maybe this info will help someone else.

JohnBowler

You can set up voip.ms with no problem via www.obitalk.com (i.e. not the expert config) and if you use the expert config it will get overridden if you then use obitalk - this can be very confusing , and, for those who aren't confused, incredibly annoying.

The rules are:

1) You need a separate voip.ms sub-account for each *device* you connect.  It might seem to work if you don't do this but it doesn't and it will fail intermittently.
2) Each sub-account has both a separate user name and authentication data - look under the voip.ms sub-account page.  Normally obi users use user/password authentication and you get the user name from the sub-account (it isn't necessarily all numbers because you control that when you create the sub-account) and the password from that page (you set it.)
3) When you have multiple sub-accounts you need to assocate them with an incoming number; you do that off the "Manage DID(s)" page by routing the incoming number (DID) to a "ring group" which simply rings all the sub-accounts.
4) You do need a DID (for which you pay) to make this work with Google Voice numbers - GV has to have something to ring, since it doesn't support ringing a SIP URL (guess why ;-)
5) You don't need GV for call aggregation (one number rings all) if you use a voip.ms DID and are OK with the restriction that it only rings (via ring group) voip.ms sub-accounts.

John Bowler <john.cunningham.bowler@gmail.com>