News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Authentication and Password Error

Started by judyc, June 02, 2015, 03:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judyc

Until today, I have had no problems using my Obi/Google Voice/Phone Power.  Attempted to make call and message on phone stated "Google Voice Service Connection Error".  I was asked to change my google voice password and then go to Obi site and change password on that site as well.  I did both but receive message on Obi site "Obi device currently using old or invalid Gmail password for its connection to Google."  I have gone through the process twice - Google confirmed password change, Obi did not; and still get same message on phone.  Also, my Obi status states "backing off (Os) authentication error".  Please advise.  Thanks.

Robert831

I'm setting up a new device, and I get exactly the same problem.  It's like I just wasted money on this thing that doesn't work.  >:(

SteveInWA

Quote from: Robert831 on November 21, 2015, 06:27:29 PM
I'm setting up a new device, and I get exactly the same problem.  It's like I just wasted money on this thing that doesn't work.  >:(

"this thing" works perfectly well for thousands of users. 

Log out of whatever Google-related services you may be using on your web browser.  Clear the browser's cache, history and cookies.  Close and re-open the browser.  Log onto the Google Voice website using a valid Google user name and password:  https://www.google.com/voice#inbox

Can you get that far?  If so, look at the lower left portion of that web page.  Do you see the exact two words, "Your number", and underneath it is your Google Voice phone number, or do you see some other words?

drgeoff

@judyc

If you had GV working fine for more than about 18 months you would have simply entered an email address and GV password into the OBi or the portal. That setup method no longer works.  Follow SteveInWA's instructions, his second post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460.

Robert831a

I got some assistance from Obihai support.  This actually worked, except that the phone doesn't take ring or accept incoming calls.  Here is what they said:

"You need to create the equivalent gmail.com on the same Google Voice account.  This will be the way to configure it to the OBi device.  Google forces you to create gmail.com to have it usable with Gmail (MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS) call phone.  So, please do the following:

-Login to your google.com/voice with the email MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS
-Upper right, click on the 9 dotted icon,
-Click the "gmail" or "email",
-Proceed with creating a new gmail account under the same Google Voice (MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS) account.

Once this is done, you can configure that new gmail account into your OBi."

SteveInWA

Quote from: Robert831a on November 24, 2015, 11:03:02 PM
I got some assistance from Obihai support.  This actually worked, except that the phone doesn't take ring or accept incoming calls.  Here is what they said:

"You need to create the equivalent gmail.com on the same Google Voice account.  This will be the way to configure it to the OBi device.  Google forces you to create gmail.com to have it usable with Gmail (MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS) call phone.  So, please do the following:

-Login to your google.com/voice with the email MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS
-Upper right, click on the 9 dotted icon,
-Click the "gmail" or "email",
-Proceed with creating a new gmail account under the same Google Voice (MY ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS) account.

Once this is done, you can configure that new gmail account into your OBi."

In order to have your OBi-attached phone ring, you need to have a check mark to the left of "Google Chat" on the Phones tab of Google Voice settings: 

https://www.google.com/voice#phones