News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

porting a 2nd number into google voice

Started by VisionariesThrive, June 09, 2016, 11:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionariesThrive

Hi, I had two numbers on Skype and have moved both from Skype to ATT with ATT GoPhones and then on to Google Voice.. Only to discover that Google Voice only accepted one of my ported numbers!!! (And my back line at that!!) So, how do I port my 2nd Skype/ATT no into Google Voice? I think I've read it takes Google Voice as much as 90 days to allow porting a 2nd no into Google Voice.

Presently, I have my 2nd line in google Voice along with my Google number.

How do I get my main no into Google Voice?

(Can I create a 2nd google account, move the 2nd number into that account and then somehow transfer it to the first google Acct?)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

SteveInWA

I can't make much sense out of what you are trying to do, nor what sort of error you received, during which step.

Did you try to port in one of the numbers, and you received an "Oops" error message, stating that porting was not supported for your number or not supported in your area?

Or, are you asking about how many inbound Google Voice numbers can be hosted on one Google Voice account?  (It's two).

Be more specific and detailed in your post.

VisionariesThrive

Hi Steve,

I had two skype numbers. I ported them through ATT to GV and my secondary phone number made it into GV fine. But I see no provision for completing the porting process for my primary phone no.

You say I can have two inbound numbers? That would be my two Skype lines?

Do I have to get rid of the original free number GV gave me so I can make room in my account for the 2nd Skype no?

I was hoping to keep the free GV number and port both of my skype nos into GV..

thanks for your help.

SteveInWA

Basic concepts:

Google Voice is a service, just like Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Maps, etc.  All Google services are accessed via a single Google account user ID and password.

A Google Voice account can have one inbound telephone number, or two inbound telephone numbers.  The inbound telephone number is the number people call to reach you. 

If you start out with a freebie number from Google's pool, and then you port in a number, you now have two inbound Google Voice numbers.  The ported-in number becomes the "Primary" number.  The original (freebie) inbound number goes into a temporary, "death row" status for 90 days.  During that time, you can either tell your contacts to start calling you on your ported-in number, or you can pay a fee to keep the original number, too.  After paying the "keep the number" fee, it becomes a permanent, secondary number.

If you start out with a freebie number, port in one number, and then want to port in another number, then yes, you will lose the freebie number, since an account can have a maximum of two inbound numbers.

If you port in a second Google Voice number to the same account, then all inbound calls made to either GV number will forward to the same destinations as the first number, and callers will hear the same voicemail greeting.  There is no way to handle the inbound calls differently, depending on which number is called. 

One number is designated as "Primary", and the other "Secondary".  You can swap primary vs. secondary roles at any time on the settings page.

All outbound calls made while signed into that account will use the caller ID of the primary number.

If you would rather handle calls made to each of the two inbound numbers independently, then you would need to port the second number into a different Google account.

Calls made to the inbound GV number(s) are then simultaneously forwarded to all of the forwarding telephone numbers you add to your list, on this page:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

You can have up to six forwarding numbers.  You can also forward inbound calls to an OBi device by check-marking the Google Chat forwarding destination.

VisionariesThrive

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info.. Very informative.. and I guess if I ask a good question I get a great answer..
So, now that I've cancelled my free GV number, I now have a spot in GV for my other Skype number that presently sits at ATT in a GoPhone.

And, now that I've removed the free GV number, I see Change/Port as an option. Clicking on that offers Change your GV number and offers the option of "using my mobile number." I then check my eligibility and my option is to port my mobile number to GV..

My question is does this add the 2nd number that I want to get into GV? or does it replace the number that's already there? I thought I read somewhere I had to wait 90 days to port a 2nd number to GV.

In the end, I want both of my Skype nos, having been converted from Skype to ATT wireless nos to end up in GV..  I do think I am close now..
thanks

SteveInWA

IF it is offering you the Change/Port option, then yes, you can port it in now.  Again, beware that you will not be able to manage inbound calls separately, if you port both numbers into one Google account.  You will not be able to provision your OBi to use, for example, ported #1 on SP1 and ported #2 on SP2.  If you want to do that, then you should instead create a separate Google account and port #2 into that account.

VisionariesThrive

Thank you Steve!
I want my 2nd number to go to the same account..

If I add a 2nd GV account will the obi200 talk to it at the same time?
Thanks.

SteveInWA

Yes.  OBi 200s have 4 SP configuration slots.  You can configure them with different Google accounts if you wish, and they will work independently.

VisionariesThrive

Hi Steve,
Thank you for all of your great information.
PS I've started the process of porting the 2nd number into GV

I've been wanting this for a long time
Thanks.

VisionariesThrive

I've finally ported both former skype numbers to GV.. cost about $70 disregarding the cost of the GoPhones.. Now to get the dialing to come from GV or Google Contacts and hopefully use my desk line

I will add my story to the latest "Number Porting to GV--My Experience" in the Installation and Set-up section..

thanks for all the help..
Forums are cool!