News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Keep track of minutes used (PBXes.org?)

Started by jclark5093, June 09, 2011, 08:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jclark5093

I just set up my Obi100 two days ago, and am astonished at its ease of setup (compared to what I was expecting due to reading online tutorials from months ago) and compared to having used a few SIP applications on Android to get free WiFi/3G calling (with GV and multiple setups I 'invented').

So I'm used to doing things the hard way - that's not a problem for me.

That being said, is there any way (easy or hard) that I can track my minutes used? (I know it's free, but I mostly call my wife's cell, and I'm trying to figure out how many minutes she needs to buy - on android obion can we talk through the same obi100 btw??)

So I used to use a free PBXes account (I don't have my own server) to keep track of my minutes on Android - can I do that here? I know how to set up trunks on PBXes, but are there any tutorials on how to connect a PBXes account to the Obi? If not, is there any other way (with the basic GV setup) anyone is able to monitor their usage?

Thanks!

QBZappy

jclark5093,

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few guides on how to connect the OBi with Asterisk. I think it might be similar. Search the forum. You might be able to use the gateway feature of the OBi. For that maybe RonR can explain that, as I have never used it yet.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

I was going to suggest saving the Call History to a file and attempting to compute the minutes used from the data provided, but despite what the OBi Device Administration Guide says:

The Call History can be saved at any time by clicking on the "Save All" button. The Call History can be saved as an XML formatted file called "callhistory.xml".

nothing happens when I click on the "Save All" button.  I can only assume this feature is broken in the current firmware (Backup Configuration saves backup------------.xml as expected).

QBZappy

"Save All" button works for me. I then open the xml file using Excel. You'll get info in nice rows and columns format.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Save All and Remove All do absolutely nothing here, even after rebooting the OBi.

I can remove Call History entries one at a time, but after making another call, Save All and Remove All still do nothing to the new entry.

I get the the "Press OK to remove all call history from the unit" dialog box, but after pressing OK, they're still there.

I wonder if OBihai would like to troubleshoot this one?

QBZappy

RonR,

This is my version of the firmware: SoftwareVersion   1.2.1 (Build: 2289)

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on June 09, 2011, 11:52:15 AM
This is my version of the firmware: SoftwareVersion   1.2.1 (Build: 2289)

Thanks.  I'm using the same version here.

I'm sure I saved a Call History file a long time back just to look at one.  And I know I've used the remove all button several times in the past to clear the history.

jclark5093

I was hoping for some sort of software - active monitor (as opposed to reading logs) I just want a box that says "You used xxx minutes in June 2011" or whatever. I'm concerned about when GV becomes un-free, and how much a line will cost.

We have not had a land line in years, but now with smartphones, the 5 year old has a harder time (LG Optimus V) can't even unlock to answer a call most of the time, so we needed something for him to dial 911, etc. This seems like a good choice, since I get to bump out cell plans down and save $30/month and recover the hardware costs (analog phone + obi100) fairly quickly - hope savings continue once GV is not free.

Anyone bother to set up an Obi with PBXes/GV (Like SipDroid style, but with a home phone)? Just wondering if this is possible...