News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 won't Factory Reset

Started by dial.tone, June 02, 2015, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

I have followed Obihai's online FAQ (pasted below) for resetting my Obi202, but I can't get it to reset.  I have deleted the device from the ObiTalk dashboard, like it says to do in Step 1, but when I get to #2 of Step 2, the green LED stays solid green.  I have held the reset pin with a paperclip for 40 long, painful seconds waiting for the green LED to flash, but it never does.  I have repeated the process at least two dozen times over the past two days without success.  Is there an alternate way to reset the Obi202?  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  Without the Obi, we don't have a home phone.

Frequently Asked Questions

Troubleshooting

How do I perform a factory reset?

The first step in performing a full reset of the OBi is to remove the device from your OBiTALK web portal account. The second step is to depress the physical reset pin (button), found on the bottom of the OBi, to reset the settings on the actual device. After the OBi is fully removed from OBiTALK and reset with the physical pin, you may re-add the device to your OBiTALK account. You will also have to re-configure any service-specific credentials (username and password) to be used with the OBi device. Follow these steps to remove and reset your OBi:

Step 1: Remove the OBi From the OBiTALK Web Portal
1. Sign in to www.obitalk.com and select the device you are going to reset from the OBi Dashboard.
2. Select the "Delete Device" button located on the right side of the screen. You will be prompted to confirm. Click "OK".
3. After a few seconds, you will see a message stating, "The device was deleted successfully." Proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Reset the OBi Device Using the Physical Pin (Button)
1. With a paper clip (or similar) depress the reset pin located at the bottom of the OBi.
2. While keeping the reset pin depressed, plug-in the power cord.
First, the Power LED will turn red, then become sold green.
Keep depressing the reset pin while this is occurring.
3. After 10 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green (slowly).
You may now release the reset pin.
4. Within 5 seconds, the Power LED will start to flash green rapidly for about 3 seconds.
5. Next the Power LED will change to red briefly indicating the OBi is now rebooting.

The factory reset is now complete. You may now proceed to re-add the device to your OBiTALK account.
Important Note: You will need to re-configure any service-specific credentials (username and password) to be used with the OBi device.

azrobert

Why do you want to do a reset?
There has been problems with the current firmware (4738).
If you have the current FW, try a firmware downgrade first.
Download here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4581.fw

Load the firmware locally.
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
Go to System Management -> Device Update
Under Firmware Update click Browse and find the downloaded firmware.
Click Update

The last option under Device Update is Reset Configuration.
I never tried this option and don't know if it is the same as the Reset button.

I believe you use GV.
You can install Hangouts on a smartphone with WiFi as a temporary fix to get phone service.

dial.tone

After I-don't-know-how-many tries, the reset procedure finally worked, so I'm back up and running normally.  I've run into this before where some specified procedure doesn't work the first time, or the second time, but out of a lack of an alternative (I like to call it persistence), I keep trying it and it finally works.  And I never know why.  It wasn't the procedure or it would have worked the first time.  So it must have been the procedure PLUS some additional, unknowable condition.  Most troubling when I can't put my finger on what actually was the cure so I can repeat it the next time.  After all, this is science, right?  Anyway, if your attempts to reset don't work the first time, keep trying. 

Lavarock7

If I have problems with resetting this or other devices I would unplug the device, press the rest button for 20 seconds and then while still pressing it, plug in power. Then watch for whatever lights mean a reboot.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

dial.tone

Quote from: Lavarock7 on June 03, 2015, 10:55:13 AM
If I have problems with resetting this or other devices I would unplug the device, press the rest button for 20 seconds and then while still pressing it, plug in power. Then watch for whatever lights mean a reboot.

Yup, that's pretty much what I did.  At least a couple-dozen times.  Point is, it might not work until the 40th attempt, so keep trying.  Hope you never have that experience!

airberry2000

Try picking up the phone, when you hear the dial tone punch in ***8 then 1.  I had to reset mine, that's what I did.