News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Appreciate my Obi EVERY day, and a wee bit of good news to share...

Started by vtsnaab, June 13, 2015, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

As of now I've gone years with just internet for phone services - starting with, and thanks to Obihai.

My 110 has 2 GV numbers & it is so good that I've gotten an Obi200 for my partner as well.

A tiny bit of current good news to share for anyone who may benefit by it=>
Today I saw in the family dollar flyer they have an Android Tracfone for just $9.
Went and looked - and it is an LG Optimus Fuel including a 4GB SD card with Android 4.4 .
(Heck - the card alone usually costs 1/2 that price !!)

I got one today to use for an mp3 player & may go back for another as this is a great model & very easy to root - very easy to add to GV using a TextNow number & makes a very good Wifi-only phone for when one is out & about.

It is because of Obihai's good works that I have been able to have any phone a'tall these past years, and also has brought me to the adventures of learning about Android goodies - which I'd not have done otherwise - so once again I am reminded to say:

Thanks Obihai !!

zorlac

Quote from: vtsnaab on June 13, 2015, 10:12:27 AM
as this is a great model & very easy to root - very easy to add to GV using a TextNow number & makes a very good Wifi-only phone for when one is out & about.
Any links to something specific on this procedure? Thanks.

vtsnaab

Quote from: zorlac on June 15, 2015, 03:44:48 AM
Any links to something specific on this procedure? Thanks.

Soitenly:
http://androidarea51.com/all-things-root/working-root-for-lg-optimus-fuel-woot/
http://www.100searchengines.com/?hp=&c=&d=&opts=&q=towelroot+l34c

One bit of sad info is that the newer Android versions are not as able to do the Wifi-only stuff as the older ones did - it takes a bit more effort and the best app ever for full GV integration - which works beautifully in V 2.3.6 is not compatible with newer versions of Android and will not work a'tall.

Best Wishes.

Jackson

Would these phones work to connect to a wi-fi action camera (only way to adjust various settings on the one I want) without any kind of activation?

vtsnaab

No idea - but since all these phones have built-in cameras and a zillion apps to do things with them - for such a cheap price, I'd try to do whatever you're after with the phone using different apps.

Good Luck !!

Jackson

I have the app, just need an android device.  My key question is will the phone function for just running the app without being activated.  Don't need it as a phone.

Thanks

vtsnaab

You skip the activation & put the phone in airplane mode with Wifi active.
This is how mine works & gives me no trouble.

Between my partner & myself, we each have an LG L38c & an LG L34c; none are activated, all are rooted & have different apps running just fine using Wifi only.

-BUT-
This IS Android and assuming the app is version compatible & not phone-fussy it should work.

If you've tinkered around with Android as I have this past year you will already know that some apps simply refuse to work for no obvious reason despite any/all claims made for them.

Lastly:
Do please keep in mind that we're batting the idea back & forth of trying this on a phone on sale for a whopping $9 => this is not a high-end item, though it was $50 & does have decent specs.

For more info you may wish to use this search:
http://www.100searchengines.com/?q=LG+Optimus+Fuel+L34C+net10

Jackson

Mine has the:

ZTE Whirl™ 2
SALE! $9.00

With Android 4.3.  Others have said the app works with 4.3.

Think I'll grab it, thanks for all your help.

vtsnaab

Yes - that was shown, but the shelf had piles of the L34c at the local store here.
'Models may vary.'

Good Luck !!

zorlac

Tracfone has TWO (2) Refurbished No-Contract LG Optimus Fuel GSM Pre-Paid Android Smartphone for $9.99 Free Overnight Shipping after following the directions below. Tax in most states.

1. Click here and enter your zip code (deal availability dependent on location).
2. Add the Reconditioned LG Optimus Fuel phone to your cart.
3. Change quantity to TWO (2) phones and update cart.
4. Enter Coupon Code: "BTS10OFF" (Exp Soon).
5. Final price should be $9.99 Free Shipping

vtsnaab

LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!

The LG440G is NOT an Optimus Fuel L34C !!!

It is some strange kind of flip phone:

(Does not even say on the linked page what sort of phone it is...)

Here is the L34C:
http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-L34C-optimus-fuel

And here, for a silly, high price:
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-LG-L34C-Optimus-Smartphone/dp/B00MJN4W82

I found it at the 'family dollar' store, and if they have any left they may still be that cheap, one must go and look if there is such a store around ??

zorlac

Quote from: vtsnaab on August 11, 2015, 05:19:46 PM
LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!

The LG440G is NOT an Optimus Fuel L34C !!!

It is some strange kind of flip phone:

And here, for a silly, high price:
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-LG-L34C-Optimus-Smartphone/dp/B00MJN4W82

I found it at the 'family dollar' store, and if they have any left they may still be that cheap, one must go and look if there is such a store around ??

Bad info on what to "add" to your cart, relax it's Otay.  ;)

This is the one.
Reconditioned LG Optimus Fuel™ $9.99  

SALE! Limited time Offer
Includes Triple Minutes for Life FREE!
(3x Talk Time, 3x Texts & 3x Data)
Reconditioned
Android™ 4.4
3.5" Touch Screen Display
3G/Wi-Fi® Connectivity
3 MP Camera/Video Recorder
Bluetooth® 4.0 Wireless Technology
1.2 GHz Dual Processor
An Airtime Card is required for activation of this phone.
Unlimited Carryover® of unused talk, text and data that never expires* *service must be active and in use within each six month period
This phone is not compatible with SafeLink service
Text LGL34C to 611611 for mobile tutorials

vtsnaab

Thanks for the better link Zorlac.

Indeed this link does lead to the correct phone=>
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/PhoneDetails.do?action=view&productVariantExtensionId=34069906

But it also says this:

I'd like to purchase this Phone without an Airtime Card.
I am an existing customer and already have Service Days and Minutes.

* An Airtime Card is required for activation of this phone, unless you are transferring your service days and minutes from your current TracFone.

Any of the deals on that page - when I try to add to the cart - all it says is 'your cart is empty'.

Apparently, in my area they do not offer this phone deal a'tall - also that page makes it clear that to get the cheap deal one must be an existing, paid customer of theirs.

Thanks for trying to spread helpful info; it may help someone who wants one, just not anyone around here !!

zorlac

Worked for me!

Reconditioned LG Optimus Fuel™   
   In progress
Estimated Ship Date:08/12/2015   
   $9.99   
   $19.98   
Subtotal (before discounts, freight, and tax):   
   $19.98   
Discount Total:   
   -$10.00   
Freight Total:+$14.95   
Freight Discount Total:-$14.95   
Tax:   +$0.70   
Grand Total:$10.68

2 Android devices for under $11, what's not like?
Now I just have to figure out how to use them.
 ???    

zorlac

Quote from: vtsnaab on August 11, 2015, 06:53:49 PM
But it also says this:

I'd like to purchase this Phone without an Airtime Card.
I am an existing customer and already have Service Days and Minutes.

* An Airtime Card is required for activation of this phone, unless you are transferring your service days and minutes from your current TracFone.
I though the idea was to use it as a wifi device not a cell phone anyway?  ???

vtsnaab

Tracfone is a poor & terribly overpriced service even IF one wants to make use of a cellular carrier !!
So, yes=>
I do use my Android phones Wifi-only, that is correct.

I guess such things as this are easily miscomprehended...:
Quote from: zorlac on August 11, 2015, 10:19:21 PM
I though the idea was to use it as a wifi device not a cell phone anyway?  ???

According to the web site (as seen here...), Tracfone REQUIRES those wanting this phone to either be existing & activated cellular users of their service - or those who will buy a card to become so.

Just to see if it might still work...
I went back and gave different zip codes from all around the US to see if it would allow purchase - and got longer lists of deals - none showing the L34C.

I also found the posting of this on Fatwallet, where it seems you also posted of your success - and tried their link - same poor results.

I don't know if this just means that the L34C deal is over now - BUT:
Lucky you to get that deal - I wish you well in learning how to get good usage from them !!

zorlac

Not to worry. :D

:-\

Tracfone   Order Cancelled   
August 12, 2015   

Your order has been cancelled. For any questions about your cancelation request, please call TracFone Customer Service at 1-800-867-7183 (Monday - Sunday 8AM - 11:45PM EST)

Thank you,
TracFone Wireless

??? ::)

"Tracfone is a poor & terribly overpriced service even IF one wants to make use of a cellular carrier !!"
I dunno dude, $85/yr for a cell phone that works when I need it seems pretty good to me.

vtsnaab

So - was it Tracfone that cancelled   your order, or did you decide against getting those ??

The problem with TracFone is that in regular usage they are terribly overpriced compared with other cellular carriers - at least hereabouts.

Quote from: zorlac on August 13, 2015, 01:51:40 AMI dunno dude, $85/yr for a cell phone that works when I need it seems pretty good to me.

In this rural area we have very limited choices for carriers - and in regular usage their rates can easily amount to much more than your stated $85 each month (my closest friend was spending over $100/month for daily usage with them...before switching to Consumer Cellular @ $35/mo for 2 phones.)

I would have merrily bought 2 more L34C phones for that price - IF that deal worked here !!

Best Wishes.

azrobert

Quote from: vtsnaab on August 13, 2015, 10:24:47 AM
your stated $85 each month

I think you misread Zorlac's post. He said $85 per YEAR.  I don't see an $85 plan, but there is a $100 annual plan. It also looks like you can get double minutes for a one-time $20 charge. Any of the annual plans seem like a good deal if you're a light cell user. The $100 annual plan ($8.33 per month) with double minutes is 66 minutes per month. The $200 annual plan ($16.67 per month) with double minutes is 250 minutes per month.

https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Purchase?app=TRACFONE&lang=en&payGo=true&fromPopup=yes&promoId=72454&cardType=TSAPP4001Y

OzarkEdge

For comparison, an AT&T GoPhone requires a $100 deposit per year to remain active.  Then you consume that at the rate of $0.10 per minute or 1000 minutes.  No data.  Texting is cheaper if you buy a package.

Lately, their Customer Service has been very generous in letting me bump the balance $10 to keep it alive for another year.  (I avoid mobile calling... just don't won't to be tethered when I'm out doing things.)

OE