News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Move Settings Between Two Obi202s

Started by DenverObi, June 15, 2015, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenverObi

My Obi202 just died after two years, so I ordered a new unit, and it arrived today.  I have four phones configured on the old device through Obitalk.  Is there a way to simply transfer the saved settings for the dead device onto the new unit?

DenverObi

I keep trying to click on the various settings in the old Obi, and just get taken to a screen that says my warranty is expired and I'll need to pay $10 for help.  All I want to do is VIEW the settings so I can transfer them...

restamp

Did you ever take a backup from the web server interface on your failed 202?

I've always wondered whether I could take a previous backup from one device and load it onto another similar device in this sort of situation.  I realize I'd have to go to the OBiTalk web interface to re-setup the GV authentication, but it would be nice not to have to program the entire device from scratch.

drgeoff

You can take a backup from a device and load it on a similar device.  However, backups contain no passwords so you need to manually enter those again.

restamp

Thanks drgeoff.  Yeah, the passwords...  I'll have to make a note to re-enter them in my notes on the subject.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DenverObi on June 15, 2015, 02:43:48 PM
My Obi202 just died after two years, so I ordered a new unit, and it arrived today.  I have four phones configured on the old device through Obitalk.  Is there a way to simply transfer the saved settings for the dead device onto the new unit?

How do you propose to read the settings off of the "dead" device, if it's "dead"?  How "dead" is it?

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 15, 2015, 06:19:55 PM
Quote from: DenverObi on June 15, 2015, 02:43:48 PM

How do you propose to read the settings off of the "dead" device, if it's "dead"?  How "dead" is it?
Not from the device itself but from its settings on the Obitalk portal from which it was configured.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: DenverObi on June 15, 2015, 02:46:31 PM
I keep trying to click on the various settings in the old Obi, and just get taken to a screen that says my warranty is expired and I'll need to pay $10 for help.  All I want to do is VIEW the settings so I can transfer them...

Isn't that special... now the backup you thought you had by using OBiTALK.com provisioning is no longer available to you for disaster recovery unless you pay up.

My advice... don't use OBiTALK.com, configure your device manually, and keep your own backups.

Let us know if we can help get your new OBi202 up and running.  My OBi202 Configuration notes may help you manage your OBi using its local web interface.

OE

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 16, 2015, 04:05:32 PM

The portal doesn't store device configuration remotely, so, if you can't connect to a working device, there is nothing to view.
That doesn't agree with what I found doing an experiment just now.

I have an OBi110 which I normally configure locally but at some point in the past I used the portal. Since then (more than a year ago) I have changed to a different provider on SP2. However if I look on the portal,  using normal or expert mode, I see the details of that previous provider rather than the current one. (No,  it isn't a browser cache issue.)

Furthermore I get the same result even if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the OBi110.

The above leads me to conclude that the portal does store device configuration and does not simply retrieve it on demand from the device.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 16, 2015, 04:45:41 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 16, 2015, 04:05:32 PM

The portal doesn't store device configuration remotely, so, if you can't connect to a working device, there is nothing to view.
That doesn't agree with what I found doing an experiment just now.

I have an OBi110 which I normally configure locally but at some point in the past I used the portal. Since then (more than a year ago) I have changed to a different provider on SP2. However if I look on the portal,  using normal or expert mode, I see the details of that previous provider rather than the current one. (No,  it isn't a browser cache issue.)

Furthermore I get the same result even if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the OBi110.

The above leads me to conclude that the portal does store device configuration and does not simply retrieve it on demand from the device.

Sorry; thanks for pointing that out drgeoff.  Of course, this just highlights the problems created when users configure a device on the portal, and then make changes via the local interface -- the portal's snapshot of the last time it read the config off of the device is now out of date from the locally-administered version of the config.  And, since there is no manual backup and restore function on the portal, which could be used to clone to another device, all one could do would be to eyeball it in side-to-side browser windows and manually configure the new device.  I guess that's what you meant?

Bottom line; if a user wishes to save a backup for "disaster recovery", then it's their responsibility to do so via the local interface.