News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 Getting Reason 500 Error

Started by dial.tone, June 17, 2015, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

This just started happening today. 

When I try to dial out I get a tone and the following message: "The number you dialed was rejected by the serivce provider; reason is 500."

I have not changed any configuration settings on my Obi202 in months and the phone was working fine yesterday.

This is only on SP1, which is setup with GoogleVoice through Simon Telephonics (for CNAM).  SP2, which is setup straight to GV, doesn't have this problem.

I've searched this forum and seen this problem reported before, but never a solid, reliable, repeatable solution.  The closest thing I have found is a posting from 2012 that suggested doing a reboot through the web portal (192.168.x.x), but I have not been able to access the web portal on my Obi202 since I did a factory reset a couple of months ago.

The good folks at Obihai Support sent this helpful response when I asked them for help:  "This device is out of warranty and does not have the Extended Support on it, therefore support is expired.  You can either pay for the support via your Obitalk.com dashboard, or you can search our help pages and/or forums for assistance."

Nice.  Either they know the solution and are withholding assistance as a means of inducing payment or they don't know and are using the age of my device as an excuse for not admitting it.  I don't know which is worse.

Anyway, any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

RFC3261

Quote from: dial.tone on June 17, 2015, 05:26:03 PM
This just started happening today.  

When I try to dial out I get a tone and the following message: "The number you dialed was rejected by the serivce provider; reason is 500."

500 simply means "internal server error" (which is as unhelpful as the translation which is "something bad happened").   Have you opened a ticket with Simon Telephonics?

drgeoff

If you go to https://simonics.com/gvgw/ you will see:

"The legacy Google Voice Gateway service was retired on June 15, 2015. Please visit our new Google Voice Gateway service at /gw to sign up."

You might also wish to see http://support.simonics.com/support/solutions/articles/3000031448-can-i-migrate-from-the-original-gvgw-to-the-re-launched-service-

I'm surprised you didn't think to contact Simon Telephonics before asking Obihai support or posting here!

Taoman

Quote from: dial.tone on June 17, 2015, 05:26:03 PM

This is only on SP1, which is setup with GoogleVoice through Simon Telephonics (for CNAM).  SP2, which is setup straight to GV, doesn't have this problem.
I assume the GV number on SP1 thru Simonics is a different number than the GV configured for SP2?  Probably a stupid question but I had to ask.

Quote from: dial.toneNice.  Either they know the solution and are withholding assistance as a means of inducing payment or they don't know and are using the age of my device as an excuse for not admitting it.  I don't know which is worse.
Based on your post so far I see no evidence suggesting your OBi as being the source of the problem.

So are you saying you have rebooted your OBi or you have not rebooted your OBi? I don't understand why you can't acccess your OBi's web interface. When you dial ***1 on your OBi connected phone do you hear an ip address read back to you? When you go to that address in a web browser what happens? If you haven't restarted your OBi you need to before proceeding any further.

I assume on the Obihai web portal it says SP1 is "registered?"
What does it say when you login to the Simonics GW gateway?
Does it show one device as being registered?
Does it say you are "online?"
If so, click on the offline button and wait a few seconds before refreshing the page to be sure you are offline.
Logout.
Log back into the Simonics GV gateway and go back online. Wait a few minutes and try and make a call.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on June 17, 2015, 05:55:01 PM
If you go to https://simonics.com/gvgw/ you will see:

"The legacy Google Voice Gateway service was retired on June 15, 2015. Please visit our new Google Voice Gateway service at /gw to sign up."

Wow, I never even thought about that possibility. Good catch.

dial.tone

Quote from: drgeoff on June 17, 2015, 05:55:01 PM
I'm surprised you didn't think to contact Simon Telephonics before asking Obihai support or posting here!

Actually, I did open a ticket with ST.  Since I didn't expect to hear from them tonight, I thought I would hit up the ObiTalk Forum as well.  Many good solutions come from you folks.  However, while I was posting here, Bill Simon found/fixed the problem and I am back online.  It was, in fact, a status problem I could have fixed myself on the ST website if I had known how.  Now I do.  Many thanks to all.  As for the issue of getting on the web portal (192.168.x.x) that still perplexes me.  I have verified that I have the correct IP address.  Come to think of it, my attempts to log onto the web portal were on my desktop using IE.  Maybe I'll switch to Chrome or try from my laptop and see if that makes a difference.

dial.tone

Quote from: Taoman on June 17, 2015, 06:06:38 PM

So are you saying you have rebooted your OBi or you have not rebooted your OBi? I don't understand why you can't acccess your OBi's web interface. When you dial ***1 on your OBi connected phone do you hear an ip address read back to you? When you go to that address in a web browser what happens? If you haven't restarted your OBi you need to before proceeding any further.

No, I had not rebooted.  The only way I know to reboot (other than using a paperclip in the hole on the bottom of the device and doing a full factory reset) is through the web portal.  However, I have not been able to get into my device through the web portal.  Yes, I have the right IP address (as verified by dialing ***1 and also by looking at the IP addresses of the attached devices on my Netgear router).  When I input the IP address in the IE address window, I get the page that says:

The webpage cannot be found  HTTP 404

Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
   Retype the address. 
   Go back to the previous page. 
   Go to  and look for the information you want. 
More information"

SteveInWA

Quote from: dial.tone on June 17, 2015, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: Taoman on June 17, 2015, 06:06:38 PM

No, I had not rebooted.  The only way I know to reboot (other than using a paperclip in the hole on the bottom of the device and doing a full factory reset) is through the web portal.  However, I have not been able to get into my device through the web portal.  Yes, I have the right IP address (as verified by dialing ***1 and also by looking at the IP addresses of the attached devices on my Netgear router).  When I input the IP address in the IE address window, I get the page that says:

The webpage cannot be found  HTTP 404

Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
   Retype the address. 
   Go back to the previous page. 
   Go to  and look for the information you want. 
More information"

You're confusing "reboot" with "reset".  To reboot the device, just pull the power plug and plug it back in, or pick up the telephone handset on the attached phone, and key in ***9, then press 1 when prompted.  The paper clip pressing the switch is to factory reset the device.

You didn't specify how your home network is set up.  If your computer is plugged into the LAN port on the OBi, then you may not be able to access its WAN IP address from your browser.  Instead, access it from a computer plugged into the WAN side of your network, via a switch or a router with a built-in switch.  In other words, the computer and the OBi would be on the same 192.168.x.x subnet

Otherwise, you can add the device to the OBiTALK portal, and access it remotely.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 17, 2015, 07:02:49 PM
  clip pressing the switch is to factory reset the device.

You didn't specify how your home network is set up.  If your computer is plugged into the LAN port on the OBi, then you may not be able to access its WAN IP address from your browser.  Instead, access it from a computer plugged into the WAN side of your network, via a switch or a router with a built-in switch.  In other words, the computer and the OBi would be on the same 192.168.x.x subnet.
Isn't it the reverse? The default is that the OB202 is in router mode and access to its web server GUI from the WAN port is disabled. The computer needs to be on the LAN side of the 202.

dial.tone

You didn't specify how your home network is set up.  If your computer is plugged into the LAN port on the OBi, then you may not be able to access its WAN IP address from your browser.  Instead, access it from a computer plugged into the WAN side of your network, via a switch or a router with a built-in switch.  In other words, the computer and the OBi would be on the same 192.168.x.x subnet

Internet goes via Ethernet cable from my modem to my Netgear wireless router.  Both my desktop and my Obi202 are connected to the Netgear wireless router via Ethernet cable (the Obi on the blue internet port).  This has always been my configuration and I have always been able to access the Obi via the web portal (192.168.x.x) using IE.  No more.  When I tried Chrome this morning, I got, "The requested URL was not found!" 

drgeoff

See my post above.  Temporarily connect  your PC to the other port (the LAN)  one in the OBi202 and log in.

Once in you can either:

1. Change the OBi from router mode to bridge mode.

or

2. Enable access from the WAN.

You can then move the PC's connection back to where it was originally.

Note that if using DHCP on the PC you probably need to let it get an updated IP address (rebooting the PC will do that) the two times you change where it is plugged in to your network.

dial.tone

Quote from: drgeoff on June 18, 2015, 04:15:58 AM
Temporarily connect  your PC to the other port (the LAN)  one in the OBi202 and log in.

I don't mean to seem dense, but here goes -- my PC is not plugged directly into the Obi, it is plugged into the Netgear router and the Netgear router is plugged into the Obi (Internet port).  Do you mean plug the router into the LAN port on the Obi?

Once in you can either:
or

How, specifically, do I do each of those things?

dial.tone

Once in you can either:
or

One more question.  It seems like most of the things that can be done via the web portal (192.168.x.x) can be done via the ObiTalk Expert Configuration portal.  Is that not the case here?  Can't I go in through Expert Configuration and change the OBi from router mode to bridge mode or enable access from the WAN.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: dial.tone on June 18, 2015, 10:25:42 AM
Once in you can either:
or

One more question.  It seems like most of the things that can be done via the web portal (192.168.x.x) can be done via the ObiTalk Expert Configuration portal.  Is that not the case here?  Can't I go in through Expert Configuration and change the OBi from router mode to bridge mode or enable access from the WAN.

Probably, but I have not used OBiTALK.com.

By default (and reset), the OBi202 is in Router Mode with a WAN port, a LAN port, and WAN access to its web interface disabled.  If you need the router, you can login to the web interface via the LAN port at 192.168.10.1 and then enable WAN access... look for the setting in the router section.

If you don't need the router... it's not that great... login as noted above and switch to Bridge Mode... look for OperationMode under Router/LAN settings.  Then the OBi becomes a 3-port switch with one port internal.  Connect the OBi Internet port and your PC to your router... the OBi LAN port is not used.  The OBi will now get its IP address from your router (dial ***,1 to hear it)... use that IP address to access its web interface.  The WAN access setting does not apply in Bridge Mode.

You might also want to set the OBi ports to 100Mbps by using the OBi AA2 Auto Attendant 2 IVR:
Change WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex:
Dial *** for Device Configuration Menu
Dial 0 for option
Dial 27# for current value
Dial 1 to set a new value
Dial 1# for new value 100Mbs full-duplex
Dial 1 to confirm/save
Hang up to reboot automatically

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on June 18, 2015, 01:19:28 AM
  clip pressing the switch is to factory reset the device.

You didn't specify how your home network is set up.  If your computer is plugged into the LAN port on the OBi, then you may not be able to access its WAN IP address from your browser.  Instead, access it from a computer plugged into the WAN side of your network, via a switch or a router with a built-in switch.  In other words, the computer and the OBi would be on the same 192.168.x.x subnet.
Isn't it the reverse? The default is that the OB202 is in router mode and access to its web server GUI from the WAN port is disabled. The computer needs to be on the LAN side of the 202.

Yah, the WAN access needs to be enabled; it's been so long since I did that, I forgot to mention it.

http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN