News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switch Google Voice phones during a call

Started by pointnlaugh7, February 02, 2017, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointnlaugh7

Google Voice has a feature whereby pressing * during a call will ring all Google Voice phones. However, pressing * from my GV-configured Obi phone does nothing. It works for my GV-configured cell phone. Any suggestions? I use GV on Obi for my law firm and want to be able to forward calls to other phone numbers, including my own, mid-call.

SteveInWA

Hi:

The issue is that your OBi attached phone isn't transmitting DTMF (Touch Tone) signals correctly.  When you set up the OBi with Google Voice on the OBiTALK web portal, did you happen to check the box that says "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line"?  If so, remove that check mark and submit the change.  See below.  If that's not the case, then let me know and we'll get into the other solution.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 02, 2017, 03:52:36 PM

The issue is that your OBi attached phone isn't transmitting DTMF (Touch Tone) signals correctly.

Really? I thought this issue was in the same class as Call Screening. Call Screening doesn't work with OBi-connected phones if you're answering the line that is "Connected" directly to Google Voice. The only way Call Screening works is if you are forwarding from GV to another provider (like Callcentric). At least that has been my experience.

I get the same results with the OP's issue. Pressing * during a received call just doesn't work unless you are forwarding to another provider and answer on that line. Then it works fine..........at least for me.

Seems to me the OP's only option is to get a free Callcentric DID and forward to that. Then Switch (*) should work.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on February 02, 2017, 04:22:56 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on February 02, 2017, 03:52:36 PM

The issue is that your OBi attached phone isn't transmitting DTMF (Touch Tone) signals correctly.

Really? I thought this issue was in the same class as Call Screening. Call Screening doesn't work with OBi-connected phones if you're answering the line that is "Connected" directly to Google Voice. The only way Call Screening works is if you are forwarding from GV to another provider (like Callcentric). At least that has been my experience.

I get the same results with the OP's issue. Pressing * during a received call just doesn't work unless you are forwarding to another provider and answer on that line. Then it works fine..........at least for me.

Seems to me the OP's only option is to get a free Callcentric DID and forward to that. Then Switch (*) should work.

Yep!  You are right, as usual; that's what I get for multitasking.

The DTMF fix I posted solves the more general failure (DTMF doesn't work at all) when the alarm option is check-marked.  The OP's issue is exactly as you posted.  It's because the OBis are emulating the old Chat service, which had on-screen GUI "buttons" for call control, but the OBis don't.

Thanks...

pointnlaugh7

Thanks for being so helpful. I acquired a Callcentric DID. Am I correct that I now must set my GV number to forward to my Callcentric number, and link my Callcentric number to my Obi? If I do this, will I still be able to 'dial out' from my GV number using my Obi phone, rather than the GV legacy app?   

SteveInWA

Quote from: pointnlaugh7 on February 07, 2017, 08:34:00 AM
Thanks for being so helpful. I acquired a Callcentric DID. Am I correct that I now must set my GV number to forward to my Callcentric number, and link my Callcentric number to my Obi? If I do this, will I still be able to 'dial out' from my GV number using my Obi phone, rather than the GV legacy app?   

Yes, and yes.  There are entire discussion threads full of instructions on doing this.

pointnlaugh7

Thank you. I'm receiving this error message: "Callcentric Register Failed: 403 Incorrect Authorization." Any suggestions?

Taoman

Quote from: pointnlaugh7 on February 08, 2017, 11:54:10 AM
Thank you. I'm receiving this error message: "Callcentric Register Failed: 403 Incorrect Authorization." Any suggestions?

You need to enter your Callcentric SIP credentials for your Callcentric OBi configuration and not your Callcentric logon credentials. They can be found on the Callcentric web portal under Extensions. Click on Modify.