News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ob100 does not reconnect after power/network outage.

Started by dashrendar, June 20, 2015, 07:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashrendar

Hi all,

I purchased and installed an Obi100 back in January and have it working flawlessly with Google Voice on SP1 and Anveo 911 on SP2.

Since the start of the summer, we have had a couple of short power outages. When the power comes back, everything (cable modem, router, etc.) reconnects fine. The Obi100 power light turns on but the phone light doesn't. Right after the outage, I get an e-mail titled "SIP OFFLINE ALERT" from Anveo. Also, if I try to make a regular call, I get a "Service not Available" message or something to that effect.

Once I restart the Obi100, it seems to reconnect fine and the Phone LED lights up. And I get a "SIP RECOVERED ALERT" e-mail from Anveo and I can make phone calls again.

It seems like the Obi100 doesn't reconnect automatically after a power/network outage. Is a timing issue where it tries for a period of time but times out before an internet connection is available in my house?

Is there a way to fix this?

RFC3261

Quote from: dashrendar on June 20, 2015, 07:07:47 AM
It seems like the Obi100 doesn't reconnect automatically after a power/network outage. Is a timing issue where it tries for a period of time but times out before an internet connection is available in my house?
Could be, although the Obi will retry network initialization (DHCP) "forever" (at a slowing decreasing period, which may mean you have to wait for a minute or more after power gets completely restored).  I have not experienced the same issues, but as I rarely (if ever) have power outages, and I do not feel like simulating them, it might be possible that there are failure modes I have not encountered (and, of course, my network is likely much different than yours anyway).  My guess is that you need to simulate your power outage and do some network debugging to see what happens.  I know some cable modems can offer a dhcp address before upstream negotiations establish bridge mode (when you can receive your "real" IP address) which can result in problems.  If it happens again, ask the Obi (via your phone) for it's IP address and other network configuration.  That may point in a direction.
Is there a way to fix this?
I would consider (even a small) UPS on (just) your cable modem/router/switch/obi to handle short power outages.  While it will not solve the root cause, it may mitigate the impacts.  And allow you to call out (for a short period) after the power outage if the cable providers infrastructure is still operational.

drgeoff

Try setting your OBi to use static IP.  Address, netmask, gateway and DNS server.