News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 "Do not disturb" or "quiet hours"

Started by MoreBeer, October 16, 2013, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoreBeer

Hi all:

I have been recently been living overseas and using my OBI110 with both my local PSTN provider and my Google Voice.  Everything works completely great, but I would like to set a sort of "quiet hours" overnight (europe time) so US telemarketers or political calls will not wake us up :-)

Is there any way to do this by default within the OBI, or is there a script that others have been using with success?  I have a Linux server running 24x7 at home, so potentially I could craft something together if needed.

Thanks in advance!

MurrayB

I use Panasonic cordless phones with the Obi. They have the feature to program a ring schedule.

drgeoff

I haven't found anything in the OBi configuration which is sensitive to time-of-day.

You could get an account at pbxes.org and use your OBi as an extension on that.  It does permit time-of-day to affect Inbound Routing.  However, their free accounts do not support GV.

Or run your own Asterisk PBX (even on a low power RaspberryPi).  Amazing what Asterisk can do but quite a steep initial learning curve.

One issue with both of the above is that they put another possible point-of-failure in series with your existing configuration.

azrobert

You could use an appliance timer to power off your OBi110.

Rick

GV has settings where you can have the phone not ring...

MoreBeer

Thanks very much for all the replies and ideas.  I love the creativity in this community!  To answer a couple questions:

Quote from: MurrayB on October 16, 2013, 04:09:17 AM
I use Panasonic cordless phones with the Obi. They have the feature to program a ring schedule.

I am using a Uniden base station with 6 remote handsets. Unfortunately it does not have a do not disturb timer, and I already have a decent investment in handsets.

Quote from: Rick on October 16, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
GV has settings where you can have the phone not ring...

Unfortunately I ported my US landline into Google and was able to do this without tying Google Voice to a physical number (ie only my Google Chat account shows as a forwarder) so I am not able to set the ring schedules without having at least one phone forwarder enabled. (Error- "Account must have at least one physical phone" when trying to save ring schedules

Quote from: azrobert on October 16, 2013, 09:07:39 AM
You could use an appliance timer to power off your OBi110.

I may need to look at the time appliance, that is an extremely creative idea! Thanks AZRobert!

Quote from: drgeoff on October 16, 2013, 07:52:32 AM

One issue with both of the above is that they put another possible point-of-failure in series with your existing configuration.

Lastly, I do love the idea of both a Pi and Asterisk, but my setup needs to have a strong WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).  She is amazed that both inbound German and US calls can ring the same phone, and she can pick up the phone, get a US dialtone, and hit # to get a German dialtone.  SCIENCE!

Kind regards,

-mb

Rick

Ok, I'll bite.

Attach a cell number to your GV account, then go into the settings for Chat and set the schedule...

MoreBeer

Quote from: Rick on October 21, 2013, 07:36:08 AM
Ok, I'll bite.

Attach a cell number to your GV account, then go into the settings for Chat and set the schedule...

I wish I could, but am currently living in Germany and the only US SIM I have over here is currently tied to my ported mobile GV number. Yes I realize all this sounds like madness...

On a different note, I stumbled across this blog post:

http://www.macfringe.com/mb/2012/obi110-part-1-block-annoying-phone-callers/

and am thinking about trying out a CRON'd script to use curl to update the ring to phone port on/off (Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute: {}). 

Modifying this script that was contained in the comments:

# Curl command to update block list
curl -v –digest –user admin:admin –user-agent "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)" –cookie cookies.txt –cookie-jar cookies.txt –referer "http://192.168.44.118/VS_1_X_FXO_1_.xml" http://192.168.44.118/result.html?fecc8d44="{(1?800xx.|1?888xx.|1?877xx.|1?866xx.|1?855xx.|1?2223334444):},{ph}"

#Curl command to reboot afterwards
curl -v –digest –user admin:admin –user-agent "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)" –cookie cookies.txt –cookie-jar cookies.txt –referer "http://192.168.44.118/" http://192.168.44.118/rebootgetconfig.htm

It sounds so crazy, it just might work.

-mb

ProfTech

I see what your script is trying to do but if you truly want "quiet hours" you may want to use {?|@:} for the mask. This should prevent anyone from ringing the phone.

justtalk

Quote from: MoreBeer on October 23, 2013, 01:47:28 AM

Curl command to update block list

I am trying to do the same as you, but my obi100 returns an error message when I try it the following script, which is identical to yours except I simplified the blocking list. My first thought is that the special value fecc8d44 perhaps varies from one obi box to another. Can you please clarify? The value does not seem to be a MAC address or any such, so I am uncertain where it might come from.

#!/bin/sh
curl -v --digest --user admin:"$1" \
     --user-agent "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)" \
     --cookie cookies.txt --cookie-jar cookies.txt \
     --referer "http://10.10.10.23/VS_1_X_FXO_1_.xml" \
     obicmd-test.sh SECRETPASSWORD
* About to connect() to 10.10.10.23 port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 10.10.10.23...
* Connected to 10.10.10.23 (10.10.10.23) port 80 (#0)
* Server auth using Digest with user 'admin'
> GET /result.html?fecc8d44=(1?800xx.|00):,ph HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
> Host: 10.10.10.23
> Accept: */*
> Referer: http://10.10.10.23/VS_1_X_FXO_1_.xml
>
< HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
< Server: OBi110
< Cache-Control:must-revalidate, no-store, no-cache
< WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="admin@OBi100", domain="/", qop="auth", algorithm="MD5", nonce="4498922c5c925ba0310b36be21776461", opaque="5f687f7b08fe16411e46378e7a057cea"
< Content-Type: text/html
< Content-Length: 105
< Connection: close
<
* Closing connection 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

drgeoff

@justtalk

MoreBeer has not logged in here since October 2013. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to answer.  :(

justtalk

Quote from: drgeoff on June 25, 2015, 03:25:07 AM
@justtalk

MoreBeer has not logged in here since October 2013. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to answer.  :(

Perhaps I should start a new thread inquiring about the possibility of programming the settings of the obi100 using curl. I can't get any of the curl-scripted stuff from this thread to work

SteveInWA

Quote from: justtalk on June 25, 2015, 07:09:03 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on June 25, 2015, 03:25:07 AM
@justtalk

Perhaps I should start a new thread inquiring about the possibility of programming the settings of the obi100 using curl. I can't get any of the curl-scripted stuff from this thread to work

Why not just use a lamp timer to power the thing off when you don't want to be disturbed, or turn the ringer off?   "Easy is better", is my motto.