News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Benefit of CNAM with Callcentric vs delayed ringing on your Obi

Started by mjstallion, September 02, 2012, 10:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjstallion

Trying to figure out exactly how much delay there is, when a call to a GV line is routed through Callcentric to get CNAM.

On another thread someone posted he had a delay of 2 rings, but it seemed that was just a quick test.  Losing two phone rings seems like a big delay when the call hits GV voicemail after the 4th, but I'd like to see responses from others and hear if that is accurate.

Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

That trade off of getting CNAM, but having two ring cycles in which to answer is hard to accept. So I'll be interested in hearing any thoughts on this also.

I've been hoping to get around to experimenting with it. And I just got 911 mapped to a local10Digit911 working the way I want, so this is next on my list.

One more thought. one can just turn off forwarding to the CC number in GV settings if the time lost seems excessive, even go so far as to disable forwarding during business hours or on a time schedule when you expect a high volume of calls that are important not to be missed.

jimates

I haven't noticed any added delay. My Obi phone still rings 5 times before google voicemail takes the call.

mjstallion

jimates (or anyone else with the same setup),

how many rings does the caller hear, before your obi starts ringing?

GregoryZ

I've had reports that the caller hears two rings before the OBi Rings.

However, back when I was using a Linksys ATA, it seemed to be the same way.

In fact, I can often call a friend's Cell, from my Cell, while standing next to him.  My phone rings twice before his rings once.  We both use Verizon.

I don't know how relevant that is to you, but it seems the real consideration is; how many rings the OBi ring before going to VM.

-G
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

jimates

It differs. I often find the number of rings I hear before my home phone rings depends on how I am placing the call. When calling on a cell phone I usually hear more rings. Sometimes I hear as many as 3, and calling again a while later I will only hear 2.

I usually get 5 rings on my Obi before google voice mail picks up the call. We use prepaid wireless and quite often the cell voice mail will pick up before google voice does. My wife's new phone can be configured with google's voicemail, but my phone cannot. The ability to set up conditional call forwarding from the handset depends on the handsets limitations.