News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't change password from default

Started by n4mwd, July 01, 2015, 08:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4mwd

I have an obi200 and finally got it working properly, but when I went to change the password from the default admin/admin it acted like it accepted it, but after submitting and rebooting, it would not accept the new password and still wants the old password.  I need this to have a strong password because it will be hanging directly on the internet.

I've tried several times, but it still wont let me change it.

HardwareVersion   1.4   
SoftwareVersion   3.0.1.4738

Does anybody know how to fix this security issue?

drgeoff

Have you configured your OBi using the Obitalk portal or using the device's inbuilt web server GUI?  Exactly how are you attempting to change the password?

n4mwd

I'm  using the built in web page gui.  I'm not linked to obitalk.

It lets me think I changed it, but it doesn't stick.

drgeoff

Quote from: n4mwd on July 01, 2015, 01:07:06 PM
I'm not linked to obitalk.
I suspect you are linked to Obitalk. See the sticky post "Managing Your OBi Device Configuration: OBiTALK or OBi Web Page but NOT Both". You'll find it further up in the list in this part of the forum.

n4mwd

I thought I had disabled auto-provisioning, but when I reviewed the XML backup script, there were two sections where auto provisioning was able to be enabled.  I got one, but the other is set to "use default".  I can't access the unit from here, but I'll look the next time I am over there.

n4mwd

I was able to change it finally, but the device didn't store it properly.  Now I can't get in with either the new password or the default password.  This time it asked me to supply the new password as soon as I clicked submit.  Before it didn't.  Unfortunately, its not letting me in.  So how do I reset the password back to admin/admin?

I'm not getting notifications so I didn't know you replied to my earlier post until now.

n4mwd

I found a little button on the bottom of the unit and pressed that.  It restored the default password and also wiped all my configuration that I spent months developing.  Fortunately I had backed up the unit and AA prompts before I pressed the button.

This time I set the new password before I did anything else and it took it this time.  Then I restored the AA prompts and config.  It failed to restore the sip passwords, but fortunately I remembered them.

Is there a way to block obi access to my device?  I don't want them messing with it.  What port or IP address are they using?  I can block that on the router.

drgeoff

I disabled auto provisioning on a 110 two years ago.  I've never had any problems with Obihai messing with it.