News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up an Obi 202 + Obiline in the UK (Draft)

Started by Mouse, July 10, 2015, 04:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

Quote from: drgeoff on July 19, 2015, 03:49:43 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 02:01:47 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 01:43:04 AM
Now trying packetsize of 10 ms and Line 1 TX gain = 0 -> -3 with compensatory DTMF gain -5 -> -2 to reduce echo and thus associated suppression activity.

Does not work. Its apparently not passing on DTMF even if I reduce TX gain only to -1, even with the compensation.

I am not sure DTMF playback level setting is working. Or maybe it works different from the SPA 3102.
My understanding of DTMF playback level is as follows but may be incorrect.

When DTMF tones are sent to your OBi out of band (ie in a side digital message,  not tones in the coded speech path) your OBi reconstructs analogue DTMF tones to come out on the phone port. That parameter sets the level of those tones.

If the above is correct it will have no relevance to DTMF tones sent to a callee.

That does make sense of the observed behavior. Thanks for the feedback

Still strange that any adjustment in volume disables in band DTMF, reduces the value of the facility?

WelshPaul

Quote from: Mouse
OK glad to have served that purpose :)

I also noticed that Obihai have changed the OnHookSpeed value from '3ms (ETSI)' to '3 ms (ETSI)' at some point. As a result if you uploaded any of the UK XML configuration files (v2.4 or lower) then this parameter will not have been altered from the devices default value.

I have updated the UK XML files... I have added the 'before first ring' value for the CallerIDTrigger parameter and updated the OnHookSpeed to reflect the new value of '3 ms (ETSI)'. I have also compared the XML output format against the very latest firmware release available at this time and all appears good again. :)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 19, 2015, 07:21:24 AM
OK glad to have served that purpose :)

I also noticed that Obihai have changed the OnHookSpeed value from '3ms (ETSI)' to '3 ms (ETSI)' at some point. As a result if you uploaded any of the UK XML configuration files (v2.4 or lower) then this parameter will not have been altered from the devices default value.

I have updated the UK XML files... I have added the 'before first ring' value for the CallerIDTrigger parameter and updated the OnHookSpeed to reflect the new value of '3 ms (ETSI)'. I have also compared the XML output format against the very latest firmware release available at this time and all appears good again. :)

That's great - I will change my guide above in the same way. Could someone move this post to Setup or UK Regional Board please

I also wondered if this setting should be changed - but I don't know what exactly it should be:

"To prevent delays in inbound ringing Set Physical Interfaces ~ Line Port ~ Ring Delay to 0. (If this causes problem with CLI you may need to increase this a bit say to 100 or 200)."

I worked with 0 for " Ring indication delay" on the SPA for years, so that may be right.

Kind regards

Mike

Mouse

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 11, 2015, 01:56:08 AM
You would of been better off posting this in the UK forum located at the bottom of the board. As for any delay or lost audio which can be replicated by dialling the above said number there is none. (For me)

Is the audio issue happening on calls placed over both OBiLINE and SIP calls?

On another note... There is no need to register your device with the OBiTALK portal if you're configuring the device locally.

Added ***6 method as an alternative to Obitalk firmware update.

Thanks for suggestion.... :)

WelshPaul

Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 08:03:39 AM
You would of been better off posting this in the UK forum located at the bottom of the board. As for any delay or lost audio which can be replicated by dialling the above said number there is none. (For me)

On another note... There is no need to register your device with the OBiTALK portal if you're configuring the device locally.

The ***6 method is unreliable at best! I also believe that once your 12 months warranty is up then Obihai will charge you an annual fee of $10. Should you decide not to pay? you will be unable to update your devices firmware via the portal.

You can also get the latest firmware from here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Simply upload the file to your device manually. :)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 19, 2015, 08:20:22 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 19, 2015, 08:03:39 AM

The ***6 method is unreliable at best! I also believe that once your 12 months warranty is up then Obihai will charge you an annual fee of $10. Should you decide not to pay? you will be unable to update your devices firmware via the portal.

You can also get the latest firmware from here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Simply upload the file to your device manually. :)

Corrected as suggested :)

Mouse

Just had a problem with an incoming call. It was from a standard format UK number (0207) that you cannot phone (its outgoing call only)

The number was passed through the Obi, and a ring request issued, but there was no ring, and the Obi seemed to hang up straight away:
11:39:10   From LI1()   Fork to:
PH1
PH2
11:39:10      Ringing (PH1)
11:39:10      Ringing (PH2)
11:39:10   Call Ended   

The same number tried again and this time the OBi rang the phones OK

Just wondered if there was a bug in the new 3 ms setting?

Kind regards

Mike

Mouse

Hmm on the SPA, PSTN Disconnect I had:

Detect PSTN Long Silence: no

Disconnect Tone - 400@-30,400@-30; 2(*/0/1+2)

And this page is similar: http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

With:

Disconnect Tone - 400@-30,400@-30; 2(3/0/1+2)

I seem to remember that the simpler disconnect tone you have, though it accord with a UK standard, was found not to be what is actually used in the UK

But this may be memory failure.... :) Maybe it's a format difference.

Kind regards

Mike

Mouse

Ring control

Also from:  http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

Ring Validation Time: 256ms
Ring Indication Delay: 512ms
Ring Timeout: 640ms

On the SPA I had ring indication delay = 0 like you, and ring timeout of 128ms like you, but validation time of 256ms like aoakley

I am not sure how ring indication delay and ring delay (latter present only on the Obi) relate.

Mouse

Caller id

Caller id method and detect method, you have FSK

I and http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php have one setting on the SPA:

Caller id method = ETSI FSK with PR(UK)

BUT Obi does not seem to have that option

Mouse

Tones

There are detailed differences, between your Obi settings and mine and aoakley's but I guess these don't have functional impact.

WelshPaul

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 04:21:18 AM
Just had a problem with an incoming call. It was from a standard format UK number (0207) that you cannot phone (its outgoing call only)

The number was passed through the Obi, and a ring request issued, but there was no ring, and the Obi seemed to hang up straight away:
PH1
PH2

Kind regards

Mike

Always the possibility that there is an issue with the setting, after all they have modified it.  ???

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 04:42:33 AM

With:

I seem to remember that the simpler disconnect tone you have, though it accord with a UK standard, was found not to be what is actually used in the UK

Kind regards

Mike

This was all tested and discussed a long time ago between myself and Obihai.

If my memory serves me correct, Obihai devices didn't support some of the characters that were used in Linksys/Cisco syntax. Such as '*', of course this may have changed as new firmware has been released since then... I said may  ;D

However, with no change logs there is no way to know.  :-\

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:02:10 AM
Ring control

On the SPA I had ring indication delay = 0 like you, and ring timeout of 128ms like you, but validation time of 256ms like aoakley

I am not sure how ring indication delay and ring delay (latter present only on the Obi) relate.

EDIT: I misread this sorry...

"On the SPA I had ring indication delay = 0 like you, and ring timeout of 128ms like you, but validation time of 256ms like aoakley"

What you say is indeed correct, those are the values used on the OBi?

I have not read this thread myself, might be of some help: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=102.0

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:12:49 AM
Caller id

I and http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php have one setting on the SPA:

BUT Obi does not seem to have that option.

Again already discussed, OBihai stated that FSK(V.23) works the same way.

"British Telecom FSK
British Telecom (BT) in the United Kingdom developed their own standard, which wakes up the display with a line reversal, then sends the data as CCITT v.23 modem tones in a format similar to MDMF. It is used by BT, wireless networks like the late Ionica, and some cable companies. Details are to be found in BT Supplier Information Notes (SINs) 227 and 242; another useful document is Designing Caller Identification Delivery Using XR-2211 for BT from the EXAR website."

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:17:36 AM
Tones

There are detailed differences, between your Obi settings and mine and aoakley's but I guess these don't have functional impact.

What you have to remember is that not all devices take the same syntax strings, offer the same settings or name their parameters the same. If all manufacturers used the same dialplan, tones and ringtone syntax I wouldn't have grey hairs! ;)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 20, 2015, 07:27:18 AM
Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 04:21:18 AM

PH1
PH2

Kind regards

Mike

Always the possibility that there is an issue with the setting, after all they have modified it.  ???

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 04:42:33 AM

With:

Kind regards

Mike

This was all tested and discussed a long time ago between myself and Obihai. If my memory serves me correct, Obihai devices didn't support some of the characters that were used in Linksys/Cisco stuff. Such as '*', of course this may have changed as new firmware has been released since then... I said may  ;D

However, with no change logs there is no way to know.

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:02:10 AM
Ring control

The correct UK value is zero, back in 2006 I worked with somebody high up at BT and we came up with the correct UK values for use with Voipfone Linksys hardware.

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:12:49 AM
Caller id

BUT Obi does not seem to have that option

Again already discussed, OBIHAI have never added the option.

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 06:17:36 AM
Tones

What you have to remember is that not all devices take the same syntax strings, if all manufacturers used the same dialplan, tones and ringtone syntax I wouldn't have grey hairs! ;)

Thanks for our answers. Sorry where I am going over old ground, just double checking due to the missed call.

A quick look at the 2013 admin manual suggests that * is still not supported, and the other characters you need for: 400@-30,400@-30; 2(3/0/1+2) are supported except the '@-' becomes '-' but in field 3 -6 not 2. Field 2 takes the overall duration.

So 400-30,400-30; 2; 2(3/0/1+2) seems syntactically possible but may mean nothing or something different from on the SPA!

Kind regards

Mike

WelshPaul

I just edited my post from my computer with some updated points, I originally posted from my mobile phone.  ;D
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

WelshPaul

Thanks for our answers. Sorry where I am going over old ground, just double checking due to the missed call.

No need to apologise, I'm trying to remember what it was that we discussed at the time.  :)

Quote from: MouseA quick look at the 2013 admin manual suggests that * is still not supported, and the other characters you need for: 400@-30,400@-30; 2(3/0/1+2) are supported except the '@-' becomes '-' but in field 3 -6 not 2. Field 2 takes the overall duration.

So 400-30,400-30; 2; 2(3/0/1+2) seems syntactically possible but may mean nothing or something different from on the SPA!

I remember pointing out the same, for a reason that I no longer recall Mark recommended we used 400-30;2 instead. Give 400-30,400-30; 2; 2(3/0/1+2) a try. :)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Quote from: WelshPaul on July 20, 2015, 08:18:48 AM

No need to apologise, I'm trying to remember what it was that we discussed at the time.  :)

Quote from: MouseA quick look at the 2013 admin manual suggests that * is still not supported, and the other characters you need for: 400@-30,400@-30; 2(3/0/1+2) are supported except the '@-' becomes '-' but in field 3 -6 not 2. Field 2 takes the overall duration.

I remember pointing out the same, for a reason that I no longer recall Mark recommended we used 400-30;2 instead. Give 400-30,400-30; 2; 2(3/0/1+2) a try. :)

OK yes I will give it a go. Thanks very much.

(BTW I guess FSK with PR means with Polarity Reversal?)

WelshPaul

(BTW I guess FSK with PR means with Polarity Reversal?)

Although I have not read any official documentation that states it does, this is what I have always understood it to mean.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Mouse

Thanks. Do you have any idea what the correct 'Ring delay' as opposed to 'ring indication delay' should be?

The distinction I cannot see :)

I think it gets left at 4000 ATM, I have been using 0, as UK CID detects before first ring, but maybe that is risky?

Kind regards

Mike

WelshPaul

Quote from: Mouse on July 20, 2015, 10:02:59 AM
Thanks. Do you have any idea what the correct 'Ring delay' as opposed to 'ring indication delay' should be?

The distinction I cannot see :)

I think it gets left at 4000 ATM, I have been using 0, as UK CID detects before first ring, but maybe that is risky?

Kind regards

Mike

The correct value for ring delay is 400, this should have been set by the UK XML file. It's in there somewhere! :D
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com