News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Latency problem with outbound calls via voice gateway

Started by VOIP_JoeSummy, July 12, 2015, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIP_JoeSummy

I noticed that if I make outbound calls via my OBI110 voice gateway, through an SP, there is a noticeable delay ( silence on the line ), sometimes as long as 10 seconds, before I can hear the ringing, whereas there is no such issue if I place a call directly from SP1 or SP2.

Is it due to my service provider/hardware issue or is it an inherent technical limitation of the making unregistered calls, as dynamic authentication takes time?

If latter, then I think it is really a showstopper, and a sufficient reason to dismiss the entire VG feature.

ianobi

There is no inherent reason for any noticeable delay using a Voice Gateway.

Calls placed through the VG will use that VG's DigitMap. If you have left this at the default "xx." then it will add up to ten seconds delay. The VG's DigitMap needs to match the number formats that are being used for that service provider.

VOIP_JoeSummy

But I always enter the # sign after entering the digits. So the number should get processed immediately without any delay.

ianobi

QuoteBut I always enter the # sign after entering the digits. So the number should get processed immediately without any delay.

That's true.

I have three VGs setup on an OBi110 and there is no noticeable delay in calls being set up using any of them. It may be a problem with the service provider you are using on the VG.

Most providers will allow you to make calls without registration, but not receive calls. As an experiment it might be worth setting up a VG with one of your "faster" service providers on sp1 or sp2 and compare results.

A very rough guide to see if the call has been processed by the OBi110 is to click on "Call Status" on the local web page of the OBi110 every second or so after you finish dialling. It will show blank until the call has been processed and sent out of the spX that the VG is using.

drgeoff

Quote from: ianobi on July 13, 2015, 05:51:26 AM
Most providers will allow you to make calls without registration, but not receive calls.
Irrelevant to the delay issue but point of information.  It isn't that providers don't allow calls to you without registration.  They simply cannot do it.  It is the registration process that tells them the WAN IP address of your ATA or IP phone. Without registration they have no idea where to send a call that is meant for you.